Computer "Registry Repair Programs". Ever used one?

This is a discussion on Computer "Registry Repair Programs". Ever used one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My computer has gotten slow as molasses in January. And while it isn't new by any means, it ought to be a lot faster than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer "Registry Repair Programs". Ever used one?

My computer has gotten slow as molasses in January. And while it isn't new by any means, it ought to be a lot faster than it is right now.

So has anyone here ever used one of these Registry repair programs? Any computer gurus on here have any recommendations?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

CCleaner - Home

oh and this does some good if you follow the step by step exactly as printed.

Security Tango - Virus, Spyware, Worm - How to Keep Your Computer Safe on the Internet

Thanks NYCarry! I will check this out!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I use registry mechanic, but nothing beats wiping your hard drive and reinstalling windows about every year and a half.

No matter what program you use, the weakness of windows has been the registry from day one. It just accumulates to much clutter and eventually something goes haywire and the system crashes.

That is why i save everything on an external hard drive, and leave nothing on the computer I can't afford to lose forever.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I use PC Tools Desktop Maestro. It has several different functions which include registry scans and disc deframentation. Also can be used to wipe files and wipe unused disc space.

I also run Microsoft's own Live One Care, which is primarily anti-virus software but has tune up capabilities.

One thing you can easily do with Live One Care is check to see what is being loaded at start up. Lots of stuff gets added automatically with time, and the tune up module of Live One Care lets you clean up all the unneeded garbage that tries to load ---which does certainly speed up the booting process.

I don't really know what the PC Tools Registry Scan does, but it is always finding an accumulation of errors and repairing them.

If you are running an older computer (as I am) consider adding RAM. That can help with the speed issue too.

And, if you aren't running a back up hard drive, do it. They are inexpensive in the scheme of things and can save a lot of aggravation if there is a HD crash.

How about PC Tools Registry Booster 2---it is what I use. Look here...Registry — Registry Booster — Top rated registry cleaner
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't, I'm kinda old school and don't trust them. I tend to reload all my computers once or twice a year anyway.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yea, it is better to back up your data, completely reformat your drive and reload the OS.

You should also be careful of what programs you install, and uninstall programs when you are no longer using them. Usually most people have problems as many programs they install are hogs, and often put files and registry entries everywhere that don't get deleted because they have poorly written uninstallers (and also leave startup entries, so you waste time when booting your computer as Windows tries to load files that aren't there).

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Also try spybot search & destroy, adaware.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    CCleaner is great. I delete everything it finds daily.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Try AusLogics. I do weekly maintenance on my computers as well as a host of A/V A/S programs. Delete temps/defrag at least once a week, and restart.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I format and reinstall Windows every six months anyway. Like someone mentioned before, that is the best way.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I've been using TuneUp Utilities 2008 for quite some time now. Before that I had the 2007 version. It seems to be the best one IMO next to Norton System Works. I've tried just about every one out there, and Tune Up / Norton are the only ones that I trust.

Here is a link
    TuneUp America - Download
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I use the following on a regular basis:

CCleaner - Home

Registry Medic

In addition I use the following spyware/ adware programs:

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Like some others, I also just wipe out my HD and reload the OS every year or so.

Over the years I've tried pretty much every registry, and PC Tools-type software and if I'm lucky, they don't do much if anything. If I'm unlucky or overly ambitious in my "cleaning", I just make the computer even worse than it was - then I end up reinstalling OS anyway.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links