Can You Guys Help Me Out

This is a discussion on Can You Guys Help Me Out within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; hey, Im a senior college student and I am nearing the end of my psychology 101 class. for the final paper i have decided to ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Can You Guys Help Me Out

  1. #1
    Member Array MRPOWER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    51

    Can You Guys Help Me Out

    hey,
    Im a senior college student and I am nearing the end of my psychology 101 class. for the final paper i have decided to explore/research/ write a proposal on the psychology of situational awareness. I of course can find thread after thread on the subject here and on other forums, but unfortunately forums aren't exactly a credible source. so i was wondering if anyone could direct me to some good websites or easily accessible books on the subject. .org or websites that are produced by a credible source such as a doctor/ scientist or someone who is a reliable expert on the subject are preferred since I cant write a paper based on what some random guy in his basement decided to post on his website.
    any way thanks in advance
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,723
    Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman's book On Killing is decent.

    The Gift Of Fear by Gavin DeBecker is fairly good as well.

    These two books can get you along the road of knowing what's around you, knowing what's in your head, and being aware enough to take stock of a situation. You can find either in the used-books area of Amazon.com. I have seen the DeBecker book in libraries.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #3
    Member Array MRPOWER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    51
    thanks for the recomoendation
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array mi2az's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    651
    "Im a senior college student and I am nearing the end of my psychology 101"

    Last time I was in college. Psychology 101 was a Freshmen class
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

    --Thomas Jefferson --

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman's book On Killing is decent.
    I second Grossman's book...SA will be very hard to describe fully. Part experience, part nature, part up bringing, part study. Good luck.

    Rick

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    "Im a senior college student and I am nearing the end of my psychology 101"

    Last time I was in college. Psychology 101 was a Freshmen class
    SO, HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEEL? How many times have you been in college? I took a sophomore level class in philosophy my last semester before I graduated, of course it was an elective. I don't remember if I ever took any psych classes but that was a long time ago.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

  8. #7
    Member Array MRPOWER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    "Im a senior college student and I am nearing the end of my psychology 101"

    Last time I was in college. Psychology 101 was a Freshmen class
    what was your major??
    I go to Savannah College of Art and Design ( an art school if you couldn't guess) and psychology obviously isn't and option for a major. Therefor psych 101 is one of the various electives for a social behavioral science course which is required for my graduation. Essentially I can choose to take it, or another class that qualifies as a social behavioral science at any time during my 4 year period as an undergraduate in order to meet my graduation requirements. I chose to take it during my senior year in order to lighten my lecture load so I can focus on my studio classes since those are the ones directed towards my major and the work produced and knowledge gained from those courses are what will ultimately get me employed and therefor take priority over other courses. do you have a problem with that?
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array mi2az's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    651
    No, Just pulling your chain....
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

    --Thomas Jefferson --

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array matiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.W.
    Posts
    2,918
    There are a ton of journal articles out there. Don't limit your search to situational awareness either, many books on cognitive task analysis examine situational awareness as in many tasks it plays a major role in task completion (such as piloting a plane).

    Wikepedia alone has a ton of references (don't use Wiki - use the references Wiki cites):
    Situation awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,524
    Here are a couple of idea which would help you make your paper stand out above the crowd.

    First, go to Google Scholar; it is hidden in there among the stuff named "more." Search with the terms "situational awareness." You will likely find at least a few social science and psychology manuscripts in which some sort of experiment on the subject was conducted.

    If you find nothing, go to your school library and ask your librarian to teach you how to research this subject using
    the social science component of "Knowledge Index" or "Science Citation Index." Ask your college librarian to help you learn how to find out what has been published on this topic in scholarly journals.

    If you find nothing (which I doubt will be the case) you can at least then use whatever other material you find but include a statement of your "research methodology" and how you went about finding the information---or lack of information.

    By going this route, you will demonstrate to your professor that you have taken a professional approach to the project.

    BTW, the professor should be teaching you guys how to do the research on your selected topic, and he should be teaching you how to write a formal paper with proper bibliographic citations.

    If that isn't happening, or if you need some help, private message me and I will try to help you out. I'm a retired research scientist and former college prof.

    That said, your librarian is your best friend. Librarians, are very special people. Good luck.

  12. #11
    Member Array snuggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Here are a couple of idea which would help you make your paper stand out above the crowd.

    First, go to Google Scholar; it is hidden in there among the stuff named "more." Search with the terms "situational awareness." You will likely find at least a few social science and psychology manuscripts in which some sort of experiment on the subject was conducted.

    If you find nothing, go to your school library and ask your librarian to teach you how to research this subject using
    the social science component of "Knowledge Index" or "Science Citation Index." Ask your college librarian to help you learn how to find out what has been published on this topic in scholarly journals.

    If you find nothing (which I doubt will be the case) you can at least then use whatever other material you find but include a statement of your "research methodology" and how you went about finding the information---or lack of information.

    By going this route, you will demonstrate to your professor that you have taken a professional approach to the project.

    BTW, the professor should be teaching you guys how to do the research on your selected topic, and he should be teaching you how to write a formal paper with proper bibliographic citations.

    If that isn't happening, or if you need some help, private message me and I will try to help you out. I'm a retired research scientist and former college prof.

    That said, your librarian is your best friend. Librarians, are very special people. Good luck.

    Hey, you stole my suggestion !! Haha, Hopyard nailed it, google scholar all the way.

  13. #12
    Member Array MRPOWER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    51
    thanks for the tips,
    i doubt my library will have anything since 90 percent of it is art books since i go to an art school but i will give the other things a shot. and she (my professor) has shown us how to cite, write, etc. im also well aware of how to research but i was just looking for some extra suggestions
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by MRPOWER View Post
    I have decided to explore/research/ write a proposal on the psychology of situational awareness. . . . I cant write a paper based on what some random guy in his basement decided to post on his website.
    I did a Google search using these phrases in the search:

    "military training" "situational awareness" psychology

    This search turned up numerous articles on the subject. One question is whether you are looking only for Phd. authored material or whether you also are considering a more hands-on practical material frequently written by field grade military officers, many of whom have advanced college degrees.

  15. #14
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,397
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman's book On Killing is decent.

    The Gift Of Fear by Gavin DeBecker is fairly good as well.

    These two books can get you along the road of knowing what's around you, knowing what's in your head, and being aware enough to take stock of a situation. You can find either in the used-books area of Amazon.com. I have seen the DeBecker book in libraries.
    Good choice...just started this one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Edged Weapons-Good Guys vs Bad Guys
    By mercop in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: April 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
  2. "potential bad guys are good guys until they do something wrong"
    By RidemCowboy in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 14th, 2007, 05:40 AM
  3. So is it true, that gun guys are also camera guys? ...and a few pics
    By wendywc in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: September 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
  4. Hey guys>
    By DOTL in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: July 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM