Fictious Question On Coming To The Aid ??

This is a discussion on Fictious Question On Coming To The Aid ?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have this neighbor who moved here from NJ. I always hear him rant that AZ hands out guns like candy to anyone that wants ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fictious Question On Coming To The Aid ??

Fictious Question On Coming To The Aid ??

I have this neighbor who moved here from NJ. I always hear him rant that AZ hands out guns like candy to anyone that wants them. My 14yr old son also let it be known to the NJ neighbor that I have an AK-47, I wish he never did that, since then, son and I had a talk about keeping things like gun ownership in the family. Neighbor hates guns, thinks that no one should own guns and they all should be outlawed.

Now to the question ...

Would you come to the aid of a person like this if there ever is a need or just call the police and let them handle the situation when they arrive ?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Depends on the circumstances. I would always be willing to call the police for someone, but going through the legal mess for another would vary greatly. Either way, I would not let their thoughts on my perfectly legal hobby stop me from helping one way or another.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    What do you mean by aid?

If I am in a position to stop a deadly attack on them when the situation is clear, then yes. They do not deserve to die just because they are an idiot.

Hopefully that would change their view on the issue, but who knows.

If the situation is ambiguous, as always, call police and keep your distance.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'll be a good witness for my neighbors, and I'll be the first to call 911 if trouble comes to any of them. I'm not a cop, nor have I ever played one on TV...I limit my SD with a weapon to myself and my family.

Could giving assistance to a neighbor ever be possible? Perhaps, but the chance of that really happening would depend upon a life and death situation where I knew the entire situation and was 100% correct on why I needed to get involved.

Stay armed...memorize 911...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Help them how?

You mean lend him your garden tool, or when he knocks on your door and says "My wife's co-worker is stalking her. I...I think I need a gun in case he breaks in..."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'd tell him to move back to NJ and stay there.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Don't know...depends on the situation....and the laws of the state (i.e. coming to the aid of a 3rd party is acceptable)

However, some people learn better by bleeding....maybe a small beat down is what this guy needs...only to have you stop the guy before the BG beats the guy to death...

Then highlight the purpose of a firearm.

Otherwise, there is no talking to an unreasonable person...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...Could giving assistance to a neighbor ever be possible? Perhaps, but the chance of that really happening would depend upon a life and death situation where I knew the entire situation and was 100% correct on why I needed to get involved...
    That's the tough point: I know a few of my neighbors fairly well, but even with them I might get it wrong. For instance, one who had since moved was heavily into pro-life work and had a fair collection of our type of toys - I could certainly imagine his being taken down by undercover LEO and it looking like a home invasion. Sure, they're supposed to identify themselves and wear the shirts with the printing on them, but if I didn't see it just right...

My emphasis is on SELF-defense, and my wife and daughter are my heart and soul so they fall under that, too. And I can't provide for them if in jail.

He must've been a politician in NJ. See if he knows his way back?

You can assist by dialing 911 and being a great witness.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

JD
    Administrator
    He has the same rights to self defense as I do, I have no problem helping (re: aiding) those that are willing to help themselves. I will not risk my life for someone who cares so little for their own safety.

Without knowing the neighbor myself, chalk up another 9-1-1 caller/good witness.

Now over time if I were to bond with such a neighbor, I might be willing to do more...like take him shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Would you come to the aid of a person like this if there ever is a need or ...
    A person "like this"?

As with anything, it depends on the circumstances. But, as implied in the statement, I would not withhold assistance merely because of a person's stance on defensive firearms ownership.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It would depend on the circumstances for me too. I would call 911. I would be a witness, but it would take extreme circumstances before I would become directly involved. I am not L.E. and I don't want to be a hero. I carry to protect me and my family, not to save world. That may sound cold but I do not have the financial resources to withstand any legal issues that may result from me being involved.

South Carolina state law requires that all citizens respond to that kind of a situation. HOW one responds is left to interpretation (anywhere from calling 911 to shooting the bad guy).

VIP Member
    Call 911 and be a good witness. It has nothing to do with the guys view on firearms. My job is to protect my family and myself, not the whole world.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm reminded of a line in a cheesey Western I saw once, in which a "Lady" of questionable character demanded a nearby man to defend her from an insult:

"Why should I defend your 'honor' when you won't?" was the (appropriate) response.

I have a hard justifying the idea of putting myself in jeapordy for the sake of someone that refuses to do for themself. Note I said "refuses to;" I have a very strong protective urge for those that "can't" (assuming it's not a situation of their own creation).

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links