Veteran's Day Program in our town this afternoon (WWII Vehicle pics)

This is a discussion on Veteran's Day Program in our town this afternoon (WWII Vehicle pics) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Arlington TN is a very nice place to live and raise a family. Except for it's proximity to Memphis, it is just about perfect. We ...

Thread: Veteran's Day Program in our town this afternoon (WWII Vehicle pics)

Arlington TN is a very nice place to live and raise a family. Except for it's proximity to Memphis, it is just about perfect.

We had a Veteran's Day program in town today. There were about a dozen WWII Vets who spoke to the gathered crowd and told of their experiences in the war. The town brought in 2 WWII Jeeps, one painted in the Navy paint scheme. A Duce and a half truck, and a Chevy Staff car. Also on display was a 1939 Ford just to show an example of what everyone was driving around in back at home during the war.

I got to talk to all the WWII Vets and I enjoyed every single second of it. I thanked every one of the for their service and for my freedom and an amazing thing happened that had my eyes misty every time it happened. You see, as it was a Veteran's Day program, I was wearing my Persian Gulf War Veteran hat. Every single one of those WWII Vats, one of which had a hat on that said WWII, Korea, Vietnam Veteran, every one of them thanked me for their freedom. I was speechless the first time it happened and almost in tears by the last time. Even now, thinking about it I get a little misty eyed. For those guys, and one female who was a WAAC during the war, to have thanked me for fighting for their freedom was more emotionally over powering than I can adequately express to you in words. I feel lucky to have met these people who fought and were wounded to save the world from evil. They are heroes, every one of them.

I took a few pictures, I know some of you will get a kick out of seeing them so here are a few...

WWII Army Jeep (It's a Ford)

USN Jeep. (It's a Willys)

My son in the drivers seat of the USN Jeep

Chevy Staff car

That's me in front of the Duce and a Half. G23 well concealed on my right hip under fleece pullover.

'39 Ford

Duce and a Half truck

I'm sure you all know what these are...

The vehicles were all from the Mid-South Chapter of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association, located at 10021 Old Memphis Road Atoka TN.

Military Vehicle Preservation Association

It was a good day, a little cold but a lot of fun and it was fantastic to actually meet and listen to all the WWII Vets that were there. One had been on USS Utah in Pearl Harbor during the attack and swam to shore after She was sunk. Another had flown B24 bombers for the Navy. The Navy flew a lot of B24's, they were used against Japanese subs. He described the process of skip bombing. Another had been on the front lines in the Battle of the Bulge. I could listen to those guys all day and never lose interest.

The WWII Vets are disappearing all too fast. If you know one or know of one, talk to them now. They will not be here much longer.

Here's an early Happy Veteran's Day to all the Vets out there, and a big Thank You for our freedom and your service. God Bless you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Nice pics. Fun to look at some of the old service vehicles and equipment. You are right, a lot of WW2 vets are passing on. Both my grandfathers are now gone. 1 served in Europe, 1 in the Pacific.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice pics. Thanks for the shots. Thank you to all who served where ever and when ever. We all owe you for your service.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Nice Thanks for posting.

VIP Member
    Great pics

Great looking pics. If only those vehicles could tell their story.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Very nice here is a couple from our Remembrance day, a FAT Field Artillery Tractor with 25pdr and Limber

My daughter wanting to drive the FAT

Very nice!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links