It doesn't look like JD is getting his Marine Corps Birthday Baby.

This is a discussion on It doesn't look like JD is getting his Marine Corps Birthday Baby. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this video is appropriate for the subject. I picture JD being the one in the hazmat suit. YouTube - dads changing diapers...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It doesn't look like JD is getting his Marine Corps Birthday Baby.

I think this video is appropriate for the subject.

I picture JD being the one in the hazmat suit.

YouTube - dads changing diapers
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    spooter66, that was GREAT! Yeah, I can see JD in a hazmat suit.

I'm not sure why but apparently it's pretty common for Dad's to gag when changing diapers.

I've never heard of the Moms having such an issue though.

A good friend of mine has a husband who literally throws up after every diaper change. I don't get it.

I've heard that too, but as a dad of three toddlers and currently Mr.Mom, I've never understood that.

Besides, newborns don't stink at all when they poop. It's when they start eating solid foods that they start developing an odor.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I'm not sure why but apparently it's pretty common for Dad's to gag when changing diapers.

A good friend of mine has a husband who literally throws up after every diaper change. I don't get it.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I have a pretty bad gag reflex. Blood and guts don't bother me one bit, but for some reason poop does it every time. I'll admit I was one of those dads.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

As a Dad I don't understand this. I have never gagged when changing any 1 of my 4 kids' diapers. I have even had my oldest daughter's vomit make it in to my mouth, no gag reflex, but I did quickly grab a beer to get the taste out of my mouth.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

BAC
    Lima, where most men have little, if any, experience changing diapers by the time they have kids, this is not true for women. Most women I know have been changing diapers since they were pretty little. My first diaper change was when I got suckered into helping a friend babysit, and she had the time of her life watching me try to figure it out.

-B

VIP Member
    My evil mind at work here.

Lima, you must write about your first family outing to Wally World. We would love to know how tactical JD will get... and how many guns can be placed inside a baby carrier.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Lima, where most men have little, if any, experience changing diapers by the time they have kids, this is not true for women. Most women I know have been changing diapers since they were pretty little. My first diaper change was when I got suckered into helping a friend babysit, and she had the time of her life watching me try to figure it out.
    I can't be too hard on him. He may never have changed a diaper before in his life but I'm not too far ahead of him either.

I really have very little experience myself.

I have changed MAYBE a dozen diapers in my entire life, mostly while I was living with my sister for two weeks helping babysit her daughter.

Other than that I'm just as new to all this as he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Lima, you must write about your first family outing to Wally World. We would love to know how tactical JD will get... and how many guns can be placed inside a baby carrier.
    He's ALREADY getting tactical on me.

A blurb from a blog I wrote on my Facebook page about packing for Garrett's big homecoming....

So, now it's time to pack the diaper bag.

I had JD remove everything that had been randomly crammed in it over the last four months, together we determined exactly what we wanted or needed to take for Garrett for his big day coming home from the hospital and repack it all neatly.

JD reaches for the diapers and starts stuffing every nook and cranny with our disposable goldmine. I swear he must have put 12 diapers in the bag.

"What are you doing? Why so many?" I ask.

Whenever JD starts an explanation with, "When I was in combat..." I know the argument is over right there. I just listen and concede to his point (however strange).

"When I was in combat," he begins, "there were three things I could never have enough of: smokes, socks and underwear. Anything else didn't matter. And since our son doesn't smoke and we've already packed him socks all that's left is his equivalent of underwear."

Why my husband is comparing our son's homecoming from the hospital (which is five minutes from our front door) to months in Iraq, under fire, I'm not sure, but I shrugged and said, "Okay." He even packed Garrett his little digital woodland camo beanie just in case he needs to hide from the insurgents while battling his way down the road.

Like I said, there is no arguing with the, "When I was in combat," explanation.

It is strangely cute, and mildly interesting how JD has been increasingly comparing this whole experience to combat. He is preparing for it like he'd prepare for war, with determined concentration and no-nonsense focus on absolute essentials, preparation, proper recon and intelligence. He sees the hospital as behind enemy lines and the hospital staff as potential hostiles. His increasing reference to bodily harm and martial arts maneuvers when it comes to discussion of medical staff performing undesired procedures on me is starting to worry our Lamaze instructor. Though it is adorable to see how much he wants to protect me and his baby.
    He already plans on being the armed guard next to Garrett's warmer while I rest.

It will certainly be interesting to see how it goes when we take him out into "the world" for the first time.

I'm sure I'll have a good story to post!

JD
    Administrator
    A'hem....

WHO packed the camo beanie????

It is strangely cute, and mildly interesting how JD has been increasingly comparing this whole experience to combat.
    Not really, if you think about it. when you come up to a bridge or a trail you are not sure if it is rigged in any sort of way, the same goes for a baby's diaper who was just squirming all around and then suddenly gets very still and the face turns a little red. You know something is going to happen, but not real sure what. Also since you are having a boy, you know there will be "sniper fire" from time to time during changes. There is also the lack of true sleep during this time, same with combat (from my understanding having never seen combat). You also have to be very still and quiet as you move around near the baby, much like when on point.

The comparisons can go on further but we'll wait for JD to make his own comparisons after week 2.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

JD
    Administrator
    For some reason I'm thinking the diaper changing is going to be like probing for mines or trying to disarm a bomb...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For some reason I'm thinking the diaper changing is going to be like probing for mines or trying to disarm a bomb...
    It isnt so bad, its kinda like cleaning game. You dread doing it at first, but after you do it a few times, you think nothing of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lima, earlier in this thread I was going to post a wisecrack that JD should make sure he disarms you before you go into labor, for his own protection. After reading the post on your blog I've come to the conclusion I was wrong (can't let the wife read this). You should disarm him instead, to protect all the workers at the hospital.

We don't mean to tease you JD, but all the dads on this site have been through it. It's fun when someone else gets a turn.

One little piece of advice, OK, maybe two:

- Always keep the stem covered! Something strange always happens to little boys when that cool air hits their wieners, they start peeing with incredible force. It's hard to believe that such a small baby can achieve such great distances. I was impressed!

- Always make sure the diaper is securely fastened! One day we put our son down for a afternoon nap and the wife and I were setting in the TV room enjoying some piece and quiet. Both of us detected the smell at the same time. It was the unmistakable smell of a crappy diaper. The wife goes to check it out (she knows I'm useless with poopy diapers), she stops at the door and all I hear is "OH GOD!" Our little angel (aka - turd factory) had managed to get his diaper off after depositing a full load in it. He decided to do his impression of Jackson Pollock all over his crib, wall, and self. He had poo in his hair, between his toes, and somehow he managed to get some on the ceiling (that is still a mystery to this day). There he laid all covered in poo with a huge smile on his face just laughing and giggling. The smell was indescribable! I start vomiting and running for the door, I had to get away from the smell. Boy was the wife pissed! We laugh at it now, but she was not impressed at the time, she had to clean it up.

Our son is 20 now and I tell that story to every girl he brings home just to watch him squirm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Lima, earlier in this thread I was going to post a wisecrack that JD should make sure he disarms you before you go into labor, for his own protection. After reading the post on your blog I've come to the conclusion I was wrong (can't let the wife read this). You should disarm him instead, to protect all the workers at the hospital.
    LOL.. We've talked about this. I probably won't be carrying and just in case JD wants to get in the shower or bathtub with me and comfort me while I'm in labor we are bringing up one of our COM safes that he can stow his sidearm in safely while he stays with me.

We already took the hospital tour and didn't see any gun buster signs and who knows what kind of positions we are going to end up in while trying to get this little guy out of me so we figured it was better to be safe than sorry and bring a lock box in which he could store his gun should he need to disarm.

I wonder if anyone else on here has been carrying while their wife was delivering and if they have anything to add....

Hmmmm.. pgrass?

Administrator
    Oh NICE! Digital Camouflage Baby Bib.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links