Situation my wife could have put us in...

This is a discussion on Situation my wife could have put us in... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We were on our way out to do some shopping, she picks up the mail on the way out. There is a letter addressed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situation my wife could have put us in...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Situation my wife could have put us in...

We were on our way out to do some shopping, she picks up the mail on the way out. There is a letter addressed to a house about 3 miles away, so we (she) decide to deliver it ourselves instead of putting it back in the box with a note.

As we approach the somewhat secluded house, there is a Sheriff's car parked by the garage, which is open. Can't see what's in the garage or any activity.

I'm thinking, OK were not stopping here, maybe drop the mail in the box and keep on moving, maybe just go. Wife turns into driveway. I immediately tell her to pull out and leave. She stops and asks why. I suggest that we might not want to get involved in what may or may not be going on inside. Burglar alarm, domestic, shots fired complaint are the first three things I tell her might be happening, plus the general idea of surprising an LEO and injecting an unknown into what the LEO is already dealing with.

Wife pretty much tells me I am crazy, but she does back out and then pulls up to the mailbox to drop the letter. About this time, the Deputy pulls out and starts talking to us about how she just served us civil papers. Wife quickly stops her and explains that we do not live there, we are just dropping off some misdirected mail. She thought we were BSing her. Guess it looked like we were picking up our mail. So in the end, we still could have been caught up in a dangerous scenario, since it looked like we lived there.

All ended well, but it could have been a lot worse.

My wife doesn't share my tactical fu mindset. I do the best that I can...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

so...between 1 (low) and 10 (high), what was the pucker factor ?
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Does not seem to be much of an issue; you had ID

I'm glad everything turned out OK, Paramedic.

As a woman, I've learned to trust my husband to see things faster than I do. I hope your wife will jump faster next time. Maybe show her police videos? John Bunnell will teach her...

My wife has a nasty habit of not recognizing simular situations as they unfold.
    I tend to get 'testy' when she questions me about it. I have a very tactical view of my surronding enviroments.

Of course, me being the doofy male that I am, I miss all kinds of 'little' things that she'll key on. Behaviors or feelings. My wife is emotion base in how she sees things.

It takes a little time to 'get used' to each others instincts, but knowing when to act on 'em is necessary. This turned out to be no big deal, but.............
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My wife is highly "tuned", more so than me at times. Womens intuition. Glad they were exercising an arrest warrant, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I immediately tell her to pull out and leave. She stops and asks why.
    It is this unwillingness to follow your lead that may cost you and/or her dearly at some point. I know, because my wife is the same way. I am more likely to be involved in a shootout due to her unwillingness to follow my commands to leave an area that has suddenly turned hot. She'll stand up, look around, and start asking "why?" I've resigned myself to this and try to prepare accordingly.

How fortunate are those whose wives will listen when one has something urgent to say, and not insist on playing "20 questions" when it is a potential life-or-death situation.

For the rest of us, grab another mag or two and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    How fortunate are those whose wives will listen when one has something urgent to say, and not insist on playing "20 questions" when it is a potential life-or-death situation.
    I am one of the lucky ones. My wife is as tuned in as I, sometimes more so to my great chagrin.

She has actually saved my butt from being mugged once. Happened in a fast food parking lot in Theodore Alabama one dark night. We were getting into the car, I was buckling our only child at the time into the back seat. (he's going to be 18 next month, yeesh!) she saw this scumbag approach from my blind spot and when I stood up from the back seat, she had actually drawn on this clown. He was walking towards my back with great purpose with one hand in his jacket. Not saying anything, just staring at me intently. One look at the snub nosed .357 she pointed his way made him turn and run in the opposite direction still with out a sound. I only saw him as he beat a hasty retreat.

We shoot together, we train together, we communicate sometimes without words....we are each other's backup.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My wife's kind side sometimes clouds her BG thinking...I expect it, and I've lived with it for 37+ years.
    I would never LET her deliver a wrongly delivered letter. There are some things I won't let happen...end of story.

Stay armed...my vote counts 51%, but I only vote on certain items...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

I have the same problem Grady mentions

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    It is this unwillingness to follow your lead that may cost you and/or her dearly at some point. ------ She'll stand up, look around, and start asking "why?" .
    And it isn't just an issue with avoiding BGs. It is inappropriate reactions to false fire alarms, to knocks at the door, to minor stove top fires, to driving situations, to who is entering or leaving a restaurant... and even sometimes inappropriate comments others might overhear.

She reminds me a little bit of a dog we once owned. (Not to insult her, but to describe the behavior.) If I ever had a bad accident or sudden serious illness, it is a certainty that Jaz the dog would do one of two things; check out how good I tast while I am helpless, or stand on top of my chest and keep the paramedics at bay. Maybe both!

Similarly, I can almost count on my Mrs. to forget to unlock the door for the paramedics or somehow get in the way of them doing their task--all the while doing precisely nothing (or the wrong thing) in the way of first aid on her own.

My big fear, should we ever have a home invasion, is that she would not follow my instructions and would put herself in the line of fire--- because she wants to see what is going on.

Well, somehow we survived 36 years of marriage without anything terrible going wrong; so maybe the good luck will continue.

I'm always in front of my wife on this. She was totally surprised when I told her that I always check the parking lots and stores when we go someplace, trying to notice anything or anyone unusual...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ...As we approach the somewhat secluded house...
    In FRANKLIN COUNTY? You're braver than I am - you might have been mistaken for a Revenooer! I've heard about your area - I understand NASCAR was invented there, with the racecars carrying "chainsaw lube" (yeah, that's the ticket!) up to Chicago...

I'm nearby, and there are parts of our county I've been told not to visit. I think I would put the letter back in the mailbox with a note.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    No no no...
    Franklin City, about an hour west of the ocean...
    I'm not THAT crazy!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

thats a good one

"chainsaw lube" heh round where I grew up it was a gallon of milk a dozen eggs and a box of strike anywhere mathes called into the delivering grocery followed by flavor of choice.

Mind your own damn business, and no bad business will come your way!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links