Workers in the home...are people really that stupid?

This is a discussion on Workers in the home...are people really that stupid? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I already know the answer to the question so just allow me to vent about the stupidity of a select group of the human race... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workers in the home...are people really that stupid?

Workers in the home...are people really that stupid?

I already know the answer to the question so just allow me to vent about the stupidity of a select group of the human race...

So I'm getting my furnace replaced. Scheduled for tomorrow originally. I spoke to the guy today from work and told him I have to clear it with my boss to work from home tomorrow. He said no problem...we're insured and bonded... Just let the guys in in the morning and go on ahead in to work.

WTH? Are people really that stupid? I first told him as politely as I could that no one but me is left in my house alone. Then I clarified that I don't lock up the Pitbull that guards the house for a reason. His response..."um yeah...that could be a problem"
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Can't blame him for asking. It probably works about 9/10 times.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

They may be bonded but if something gets taken you still lose it, and then have to prove one of their employees is at fault. Besides just because an employees are bonded doesn't mean they are honest. If that works on most people it goes to show how many sheep are in this country.

Administrator
    Are people that stupid?

YES.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    They may be bonded but if something gets taken you still lose it, and then have to prove one of their employees is at fault. Besides just because an employees are bonded doesn't mean they are honest. If that works on most people it goes to show how many sheep are in this country.
    Good point. In WA an armed guard company only needs a $25k bond. How much do you think negligent homicide or manslaughter is worth?

I bet the bond for plumbers and other contractors is similarly sad and inadequate.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Are people really that stupid?
    Um, yup. Just like you thought.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I used to do A/C for a living. It amazed me how many people just said "the key's under the mat". For crying out loud, they got our name out of the phone book and we had the low bid.

I've always tried to shy away from that sort of thing, even though I had a million dollar bond I didn't want to deal with the accusation in the first place. That's a hard one to prove either way, my word against theirs. Then there's the snooping factor, identity theft etc.

We now live in an apartment, I've changed the locks and the landlord doesn't even have the key. He's fine with it, we have a Mastiff (he's afraid of dogs), and he's seen firearms occasionally when he's been here. Calling for an appointment is fine by him

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I'm at home today watching workers. No way anyone is coming in without me here.

I'm surprised a company would even ask to be let in with no one home.

Well, I guess it fits the "all is well, the world is a rosy place" mindset.

VIP Member
    This is an interesting topic to me. I know folks who work in the construction trade/remodeling biz, who take considerable offense at home owner attitudes of trusting no one. OTOH, just letting anyone in is sorta stupid.

There are folks I have had in my home many times who I would be comfortable letting in when I am not home, and there are some I am uncomfortable with even when I am home and something is in my pocket. One time I overheard workers speaking in Spanish, and I know they were talking about my, "mucho dinero." It kinda creeped me out. They were sizing me up. I didn't learn much in HS Spanish, but enough.

We recently had about 20K worth of renovation/remodeling done and I think maybe 40-50 different estimators, bidders, "artisans," helpers, and what not in and out of the house at one time or another.
    Frankly, I'm more concerned about the one who might come back at night than I am about them taking anything while alone in the house--- because except for the guns there is nothing to take. Big deal if they get an old TV that I will want tor replace next year with HD. The gold in my wife's fine jewelry wouldn't by a brick of ammo. And you couldn't sell my computer for 20 bucks.

Off topic, but related, some kids once committed the crime of "burglary of a habitation, daytime" by going into my garage while I was home and stealing a bicycle. A neighbor lady saw them, called the cops, and they were arrested before I even knew anything was going on as I was inside blissfully eating lunch. The pity, had I seen the boys eying the bike I might have given it to them as I didn't want it and hadn't had a chance to get rid of it. So for nothing, worth nothing, they got a juvenile conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Frankly, I'm more concerned about the one who might come back at night...
    Exactly.

I'm also having a lot of work done now by several different groups. As far as any of them being offended by me not letting them in alone, I've never seen any of them before, other than one supervisor. I'd be a complete fool to trust complete strangers.

You work in my home, I'm right there...always...until the job is complete.
    I don't trust stranger on the street, should I trust them in my home?

Stay armed...at home, too!...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

WTH? Are people really that stupid?
    Yes. By way of proof I submit the results of the latest presidential election.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Works both ways, as a contractor I don't want to be in your home without a homeowner present. Don't need accusations that something is missing or damaged and want to see payment before I leave. Have also heard of ambushes of contractors invited in for a free estimate in seedy neighborhoods.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Anybody here in retail? Ask the next customer name address phone Social Security# they will normally give it up with out even thinking. We accept debit cards and ask people for there pin. They give that up too. Real scary. My brother-in-law mother home phone number is close to Citi-bank so people often miss dial. She answers "Hello" Reply My account number is xxxxxxxx. So easy to acquire info.

I'll run the occasional warranty service call for a 3rd party company. I called one lady, set the appointment, verified the parts were there..etc.
    Show up at the appointed time/place. Apartment complex. Lot's of shady people walking about during the day...I'm used to it.
    Knock on the door, no answer. Call the lady on her mobile phone. She says she's at work and the door is unlocked, go on in and finish the call.

Now..not withstanding the fact that I need an adult sig on my paperwork to get paid, I'm NOT walking into someone's house who I don't know.
    Called the company, told them there's no way in he** I'm running this call, for them to call the client and reschedule with another tech. I don't want to be anywhere near that level of stupid. No telling what they did to their computer...
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links