Did you know that you can't gain more weight than the weight of the food you eat?

This is a discussion on Did you know that you can't gain more weight than the weight of the food you eat? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since we've survived Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's now, many of us are looking to lose a few pounds maybe????? A reader wrote into Marlyn ...

Thread: Did you know that you can't gain more weight than the weight of the food you eat?

Senior Moderator

Did you know that you can't gain more weight than the weight of the food you eat?

Since we've survived Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's now, many of us are looking to lose a few pounds maybe?????

A reader wrote into Marlyn Vos Savant's column in Parade Magazine and said something to the effect that she was having a hard time convincing a friend that you can't gain more weight from the food you eat than the weight of the food. Maryln agreed that the weight of the food is the most you can gain.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - not so sure!! I am imagining a nice squishy (but lightweight) cream filled donut - showered in sugar. The calorific intake IMO could exceed the weight if converted into fat due to lack of cal burn-off. Sort of ''energy density'' deal.

With protein I would agree more easily.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You must consider the water/beverage you drink also. This is part of the "intake"
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Hmmm - not so sure!! I am imagining a nice squishy (but lightweight) cream filled donut - showered in sugar. The calorific intake IMO could exceed the weight if converted into fat due to lack of cal burn-off. Sort of ''energy density'' deal.

With protein I would agree more easily.
    Hmmm, what/where would the mass/weight come from to form the fat if not from the donut?

Assistant Administrator
    I was thinking along lines of density difference Ron - but hey - my chem' is way too rusty to quantify that
    Chris - P95

Administrator
    Is that the same thing as saying that pollution cannot exist because, (with the exception of a few pounds of moon rocks) we can't put anything on the Earth that wasn't already here?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Is that the same thing as saying that pollution cannot exist because, (with the exception of a few pounds of moon rocks) we can't put anything on the Earth that wasn't already here?
    thats just what i was thinking but ya beat me to it.

Senior Moderator
    I don't think it's the same. Merely burning something produces pollutants, i.e. combinations of existing elements to form undesireable products.

But, burning something, or converting something to energy, like converting food to energy or storing food/energy as fat cannot produce more weight from the food than was in the food to start with could it? Density could be increased, but not the weight.

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - (Dr, my brain hurts! )

I guess we are into the conservation of mass deal - plus ''matter can neither be created nor destroyed'' - only altered state re energy levels.

A day long muzzy headache precludes me delving deep on this - tho I have something from past physiology which I cannot recall - darn age and cerebral atrophy !
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Speakin' of ...uuuh...hmm...well whatever it was, I just wanted to add that I went shootin' today!!!!! A hundred rounds through my Sig 226R. At 30 feet, a ten shot group just slightly larger than a quarter, with one hit just a wee wide.

Oh yeah, I remember now, if anything should "surface" regarding phyisology, the weight of food, and how much weight we can gain from it, I'd be most interested to hear your ideas.

Lead Moderator
    well, here comes the marshmallow diet!

VIP Member
    Most foods also have a percentage of water in the total ingredients... no calories to be had there.

Anyway, I'm no scientist...I just figure that I'm walking off Thanksgiving now, and hope to start on the Christmas weight loss sometime in March
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I don't know if it's just that simple though... I weigh 240 pounds at the moment (always put on weight after Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I eat a pretty light and plain diet for the most part.

Chicken breasts, apples, oranges, broccoli, potatoes... it's kind of bland but I do it because it keeps my weight down from when it used to be a lot more.

Admittedly I don't skimp. I try to fill myself with the plants and skimp on the meat a little, and I only eat beef on special occassions. Well I do eat beef jerky 2-3 times a month but it's the leanest stuff you can imagine.

Not making excuses for myself because I could do more and always mean to but never do, but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure it out when you look at my dad, my great grandad, my great uncles, my uncles, my aunts, etc. and see a family of short, round people. My family, on both sides, was obese before it was cool or caused by sitting in front of the TV too much.

My dad was a mountain of a man even when he died, we figured he was 290-300 pounds easily. He had been at 430 for a long time, and 10 years of doctor prescribed fitness and nutrition plans he paid a lot of money for got him down to 410. The only thing that worked in the end was surgery... I could what if what actually killed him forever but it wouldn't bring him back so I won't bother.

Thankfully my mother is as thin as can be, and my sister and brother are very slender too. I look like a smaller version of my Dad. I described my usual diet. My brother eats fried food and chocolate constantly and never gains a pound. My sister is a little skinny minny who doesn't eat a lot per se, but she can eat anything she wants and never gains a pound.

I lost that genetic lottery. On the flipside, I at least have got some calves like you wouldn't believe. When I do that excercise... the name escapes me, my rep is the whole rack. I'd give em up to have a size 30 waist with absolutely zero maintenance though.

My point is that with all I have seen, I'm conviced that while you can do a lot to make things better for yourself (my dad was 380 pounds when he was my age), I believe that anything I read about excercise or nutrition or gaining or losing weight is 90% bunk.

i agree euc i havent been able to drop any weight either they say try this and that and blah blah blah im at 300 or so and icant get the weight to go away .. even with massive change in diet, diabetes does that i havent dropped 1# with all the good stuff i eat now and eat less and nothing

OK, letís see. Now if I eat 16 oz. of food, I will weigh 1 lb. more than I did (at least for a while).

Links