Web design

This is a discussion on Web design within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody here know how to do web design? I have all my art work and data ready but looking for help getting it on the ...

Thread: Web design

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Web design

Anybody here know how to do web design? I have all my art work and data ready but looking for help getting it on the web.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It depends what you want. Do you want a fancy professional type site? Or something more basic? I've done some professional web design. I do freelance quite a bit, with an emphasis on free if it's simple enough.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Ditto: if morintp can't fit you in, perhaps I could help. I do database-to-web work for my "real" job, if database work is what you want.

See Covenant Tutorials for the site I just did for myself.

Professional rates are pretty steep: expect $500-1000 for a moderate-sized site. I wouldn't expect to charge anywhere even approaching that (unless you want to trade a used Glock19?), but you should be prepared for sticker shock as you chat with people.

For an "I'm broke" option, you could buy the domain name and hosting for perhaps five bucks a month, and could learn some basic html skills, hire someone for the price of a nice lunch to orient you to how to structure a basic page and link, then you could fiddle with it for free. It isn't likely to be as snappy as the pro version, but would be doable for peanuts. Database connections and such are trickier, as are shopping carts, but show-and-tell sites are pretty easy. More info if you're interested.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I did it for a few years. I was self taught in html, javascrips, php, SQL, etc. There are a ton of tutorials on the internet that will show you how to do just about anything with a web page. I suggest you teach yourself, which also gets you free website maintenance and updates, and you will know how to tweak everything to your liking. There are also free pre-built php modules which will let you add things to your site like forums, photo galleries, and just about anything, though I wouldn't go open source for a shopping cart...I''d go for as few security holes there as possible.

Oh yeah, avoid Microsoft FrontPage like the plague. I'm a big fan of Macromedia (now Adobe?) Dreamweaver.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Dreamweaver is the bee's knees, from what I understand, but may be expensive. One can also accomplish a whale of a lot with just notepad and a lot of coffee.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

hey there...I pm'd ya.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Links