A new cat owner's learning curve

This is a discussion on A new cat owner's learning curve within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few short weeks ago, Ike came through and caused a lot of damage in my area. While helping out some people with debris, I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new cat owner's learning curve

Administrator

A new cat owner's learning curve

A few short weeks ago, Ike came through and caused a lot of damage in my area. While helping out some people with debris, I found a tiny orange kitten. Despite my better judgement, I took him home with me. I've never been much of a cat person, so this is all new to me.

My son named him Joe, he says "thats the best name for a boy". So Joe the cat has become my buddy, I've been in charge of vet visits, cleaning the litter box etc (like anybody else was going to do it!)

This morning, I had to give Joe is worm medicine. The vet sent another dose home with us in syringe, to be given two weeks later. Today was that the two week mark.

Has anybody tried to give a fiesty cat medicine? My god. I've fought with drunken convicts that were not as mean and nasty as this barely more than a pound kitten. Now I have yellow wormer medicine all over the kitchen and me. I also have a ton of scratches on my arms and hands, they look I went swimming in the thorn thicket.

I guess I got to go to the vet and ask for help, and more medicine.

"Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    We use and eye dropper and just squirt it down their throats IF it can be ingested that way, it has do be done in one shot otherwise they won't swallow it all and will just spit it out.

Dealing with cats is usually a two person job, one to hold down the cat, one to administer "X" procedure.

And when you let go, get clear FAST!

How to give a cat a pill:

How to give a cat a pill:
    1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
    2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
    3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
    4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
    5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
    6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
    7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
    8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil, and blow down drinking straw.
    9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
    10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
    11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
    12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
    13. Tie the little @!!@#@#$%'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak filet. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
    14. Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
    15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give a dog a pill:

Wrap it in cheese.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

VIP Member
    Been there, done that!!

Best way I have found is wrap the cat tightly in a bath towel, that will eliminate their ability to use their claws. With one hand lightly pinch at the jaw hinge point to force their mouth open then give them the medicine. Usually works best to give a quick squirt and let the swallow it all at once.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Give it to him on something he will love to eat...

When we had to give medication to our kittens we would always wrap it in ham or mix it with milk. Of course you have to make sure they eat or drink it all or they won't get the full dose they need, but it makes giving medication to a cat a HECK of a lot easier.

It still takes both JD and me to clip their nails (JD gets to put them in the head-lock while I clip) and NEVER attempt to bathe a cat on your own. You will end up dead!

Another answer is to wrap the securely in a towel and then feed them the medicine. Swaddle them tightly and have someone hold them securely, take the syringe or feeder (or whatever your are administering the medication with) and insert it at the BACK side of their mouth. Don't try to go from the front, you won't succeed. From the back there are larger gaps between their teeth that you can force the syringe through.

Give them the medication as fast as you can without gagging them or having it pour out of the mouth and then let them go, towel and all. If you try to "unwrap" them you will get hurt.

Then, give them a treat and let them know you weren't trying to kill them. They will forgive you.

Ham works REALLY well in our household.

2.5 years and they are still our little monsters!

Administrator
    I tried the quick squirt method, but once I had the cat pinned down (with a little help from God I think) I went in for the shot... only to see that the cap was still on the syringe. Once I got that off, the cat wasnt going to let me pin him down again, he knew what was up.

We made a mess, my four year old boy was laughing at me and my wife is going to be pissed when she sees or hears about the mess we made in the kitchen... and the extra vet bill.

Maybe I'll get a blowgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like you found your rookies first assignment.

Senior Moderator
    Wear a glove. A heavy leather work glove, not the gloves you put on a work when its time for a beating.

Catch the cat by placing your hand(the one with the glove on it) behind his head and placing your thumb and pinky around his neck underneath his jaw. Using your other fingers postioned on its head to maintain control, now place your forearm( the one with the hand on the cat) over the back of the cat while gently placing enough pressure on it to flatten it out against a table or a countertop.

Use a Sringe ( a new one, not one you picked up off of the street) and inject the medicine( without the needle)using the spout that the needle attaches to into the cats mouth while keeping enough pressure on it to keep it from resisting arrest.

The cat will be somewhat upset by you forcing awful tasting medicine down its throat, this is where the leather glove comes in. As soon as you let go, one of two things will happen. The cat will either bolt, shooting across the room like a bullet or it will try to kill you.

Do your best to try to catch the cat before it reaches your throat or eyeballs with your gloved hand. When you do so, try to shake the glove like your life depended on it( because it really does) and the cat and the glove will eventually come off.

So as to not damage the cat when you thow the glove off, throw it against a couch or a pillow to soften the blow. Eventually, the cat will forgive you but only after it sulks for a day or two.Be sure to close your bedroom door before you go to sleep, because cats can hold a grudge for several days and the last thing you want to wake up to is a mad cat waking you up from a hard sleep. In those few moments of fuzziness while you are awaking and wondering why, the cat could inflict serious damage on your head, up to and including death.

Other than that, just man up and do it. Its a cat for crying out loud.You might as well take charge now and show the cat who is boss and get it over wth. At some point in y'alls life you will have to come to an understanding.

The absolute worst thing you can do is let the cat think he's the boss.

I mean, really, what would your friends think of that?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I like the way you think!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

The absolute worst thing you can do is let the cat think he's the boss.

I mean, really, what would your friends think of that?
    Well, we both got a whoopin. My friends are all shocked that I even have a cat. I'm not going to tell them he beat me up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post

It hurts....stop it! I'm still laughing!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It's God's way of telling you that the new rookie may not be all that bad after all.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmmm...have some bad news for you Six- the cat is at least as intelligent as you are.(No, that's not an insult) Lima's advice is spot-on. Only use the bag-n-gag method if he absolutely refuses to eat the med with food or a treat.

We have two cats- our male will work with me because he trusts me. He will also follow verbal "commands"("Let's go get mom an iced tea.." He hops off the bed and goes to the fridge ahead of me.) Our newer female is a food-ho, so she's easier in some respects. Seriously, if you talk to them like small, furry, people, you will be amazed...

Lot's of talking to; petting and picking up as-tolerated. You'll have a bud for life. I am a believer in "corporal punishment", if my cat gets into something he's not supposed to, he does get a swat and a "No!" I've only had to do that a half-dozen times in 3 years. Now, I can look at him, raise an eyebrow, and say his name, and he'll leave whatever it may be alone. Some cats are sulkers, and that may not work, you just have to get a feel for the personality.

Senior Moderator
    Seriously, if you talk to them like small, furry, people, you will be amazed...
    You do that alot?

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You do that alot?

Yep. Ben goes with me to make coffee, walks with me to take my wife her cup thereof. He's almost as good as the dogs for letting me know when someone is in the driveway- better, if they're asleep.

VIP Member
    Pray.

If you are lucky the cat will run away from home.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links