Strange phone calls. - Page 2

Strange phone calls.

This is a discussion on Strange phone calls. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What always burnt me up when I actually take the time say "Can you add me to the donot call list?" I've had a couple ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange phone calls.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    What always burnt me up when I actually take the time say "Can you add me to the donot call list?" I've had a couple actually put me on hold,and transfer me to someone else, some don't. But almost ALL say "Okay, I need your name,address and number we'll be adding." I'm like hold up. Why do they need that if their not going to keep contacting me? Is that a way for them to take my information,and sell it to someone else who will start bugging me? lol.

I've gotten the your car warrenty jive before. I drive a modified Acura with 147K, so I was in a crazy mood, I kept the guy as long as humanly possible, stating that I track race my car,and I have nitrous oxide,and really would like to know how much an unconditional 100k warrenty would be, (of course I'm told they cant offer it on such a car).

I live in my grandmothers old residence, and I've actually gotten calls/spam letters in the mailbox for my (biological) grandfather who passed away before I was born!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I've gotten the your car warrenty jive before. I drive a modified Acura with 147K, so I was in a crazy mood, I kept the guy as long as humanly possible, stating that I track race my car,and I have nitrous oxide,and really would like to know how much an unconditional 100k warrenty would be, (of course I'm told they cant offer it on such a car).
    I use to drive a track ready 93 Legacy. I pulled the same junk on them haha
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

IF you have large phone banks you can set up any # and name ID you want.
    It is made that way if you are an outbound call center and you call for different clients.
    Companies can use that ability to hide who is calling and have no company to check call logs.

This has had a good effect on live calls.
    If you are on the “Do not call list” and when they call if it’s a live person and they ask for the head of household just say: “I’ll go get them “then just set down the phone and walk away. They will sometimes take you of their call lists as I’ve found out.

just like answering the door, if I don't know who it is, they aint getting in..same for calls, if we do not reconize the number, they aint gettin in, the "answerin machine" will get it.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Possibly helped in getting Miss Cleo Arrested

In late 2001, I kept getting these God-Awful calls from "Miss Cleo". They kept filling my answering machine with worthless messages.

After contacting phone company, writing letters, etc they continued.

Finally, I got fed up. I went online to "Miss Cleo's" website and registered some ten times as a new customer. Once they had the info, their computers began automatically calling the numbers I gave, leaving messages.

The funny thing, was that the ten times I registered, I gave fake names, addresses, but for home phone numbers, I used the phone numbers of the State Attorney General's office for Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, etc. etc.

Within a month the calls stopped. In addition, "Miss Cleo" and her associates were arrested and charged for violating state "no call lists" in Alabama, Tennesee, Georgia, Texas, etc., etc.

^^ That's evil, but in a good way! Way to fight back.

My friend put the sound of a fax machine beeping as the first 6 seconds of his answering machine. People who don't know to wait hang up and those who know with the 6 seconds and leave a message. No sales call.

Has anybody gotten a sales call that goes > Honk (fog horn) This is your Captain speaking?

We have 24 lines here at work and once the first one rings the auto-dailer goes right thru the list. Another sales call.

You can have fun with them. Ask them to talk real slow, and answer real slow, tell them that you want to write this all down...ask how to spell lots of words.

Adding your name to the 'no call list' will cut way down on the stupid calls. If you get a computer generated call, hit the # sign about 10 times...supposed to take your name out of the computer's list to call.

It's all a game...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

That doesn't seem to work

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you get a computer generated call, hit the # sign about 10 times...supposed to take your name out of the computer's list to call.

It's all a game...
    I heard the same thing, and I have tried that pound sign stuff. It doesn't seem to work; at least not with the idiots I reported to the AG and not with the folks who start off, "don't be alarmed."

My home number and cell numbers are registered on the do not call list. It helps, but isn't sure fire.

What really burns me is that the most annoying calls apparently are coming from a "legit" charity, and the law allows them to ignore the do not call list--- though they are miserable pests I would never give a dime to.

It is a problem here in Dallas too, not only at home but also at my office. And has been said, "simply hang up".
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Get a free Google phone number at GrandCentral: The New Way to Use Your Phones and take back control of your phone number. I have had a number from them for over 18 months for free and the system works GREAT!

It is basically a number forwarding layer that gives you complete control over all your phone numbers.

You can even play the "number not in service tone" to callers you identify as nuisance.

Well, I found out who's behind the "Don't be alarmed..." calls:

Versadebt Corp. (Marvin Cox Jr., owner)
    4501 Circle 75 Pkwy
    Suite A-1225
    Atlanta, GA 30339

678-238-1300
    678-238-1349
    678-238-1351

Here's where I found the information:
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...7039450&page=1

I owe exactly ONE credit card company money and they'll be totally paid off on Dec. 30, 2008. I set up a pay off plan with them months ago so I know it's not them. It's a phishing scam, plain and simple.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Well, I found out who's behind the "Don't be alarmed..." calls:

Versadebt Corp. (Marvin Cox Jr., owner)
    4501 Circle 75 Pkwy
    Suite A-1225
    Atlanta, GA 30339

678-238-1300
    678-238-1349
    678-238-1351

Here's where I found the information:
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...7039450&page=1

I owe exactly ONE credit card company money and they'll be totally paid off on Dec. 30, 2008. I set up a pay off plan with them months ago so I know it's not them. It's a phishing scam, plain and simple.
    Jack
    Maybe you should sign him up on a bunch of spammer websites?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Tennessee Regulatory Authority Do Not Call Program

TN AG website with contact info for his office. I would contact them to get specific instruction on how to handle the calls.

I personally like the "let me tell you about my operation" approach. Or yelling at the kids to put the shotgun down. Or "Hold on a second, the dogs are trying to breed on the living room carpet." Or whatever my perverse mind can think of at the time.

I get inspiration from a google search of the word "telemarketer" or search on youtube.com for some funny stuff.

Life is way to short to let some jerk phone jockey ruin my day when I have every right to ruin his/hers. I am an occupational hazard that goes with their job.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links