4473 question

4473 question

This is a discussion on 4473 question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know that you fill out the 4473 and they call it in and you wait for the 'cooling off period' when you purchase a ...

Thread: 4473 question

4473 question

I know that you fill out the 4473 and they call it in and you wait for the 'cooling off period' when you purchase a firearm without a CCW...

What happens if said store doesn't get you to sign the 4473 when you pick up your gun?

Would any gunstore owners like to chime in on this one? Or anyone in the know?

Is it a big deal? Can it get the buyer in trouble?

I don't have to wait here. With my CHL and driver's license copy, I just fill out the yellow sheet and walk away with a purchased firearm. They call it in later, whenever they get to it. If the store or seller doesn't have a signed sheet of transfer, then they stand a chance of loosing their FFL among other things.

The FFL will get in trouble with the ATF for not having the form filled out correctly. The ATF won't come after you if that's what you're worried about. The backround check was done, if it wasn't you wouldn't have got your gun, it's an administrative problem. Maybe Lima will chime in here since she works in a gun shop.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Was supposed to say "without a CCW"... Fixed. Sorry for the confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Was supposed to say "without a CCW"... Fixed. Sorry for the confusion...
    Some states make it easier if you have a CCW some don't. PA doesn't. It doesn't matter if you have a CCW or not, you go through the same process.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Here in FL, if you have a CCW you can walk out the same day with the pistol. You still go through the call in, but there is no waiting period.

Before we got our CCW's, we went to a store in San Destin to get a PT140 for the wife. Did the paperwork, went home. Went back to pick it up a week later (Panama City to San Destin, wasn't our back yard after all) and presented our receipt. The person behind the counter went to get the gun, came back and said "Have a nice day!" so I asked if we needed to sign something. "Nope, you're good to go. Anything else I can help you with?" So being the pain in the arse that I am, I asked if he was sure. We aren't local and won't be back for a while. After he assured me we were good, we left.

We weren't even home yet (1.5 hour travel time) before we had a call demanding that we come back and sign the form.

To this day, that form has not been signed.

I was just thinking about it today for some reason.

Links