Masked bandits at 3 a.m.

This is a discussion on Masked bandits at 3 a.m. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (Mods, feel free to move this if it should be in the Personal Defense sub-forum.) 3 a.m. last night, I am awakened with my daughter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masked bandits at 3 a.m.

Thumbs down Masked bandits at 3 a.m.

(Mods, feel free to move this if it should be in the Personal Defense sub-forum.)

3 a.m. last night, I am awakened with my daughter crying.
    3 masked bandits are going at it on our back lanai-2 against 1.
    They are fighting, biting, and gouging for all they’re worth.

The smallest of the 3 ends up in our pool, trying to escape the others. Every time he goes to one side of the pool, one comes over to push him back in, clearly trying to drown him.

I desperately wished I had an AR in my hands at that moment, but was pretty sure that even with disparity of force, I would have a hard time convincing officers I was in fear for my life.

The masked bandits were about 2 feet tall, and of the furry, 4-legged kind.

Raccoons.

The best I could come up with in this scenario were some stones to get them out of our screened enclosure.

Best I can figure, they were fighting over the cat food. The barrel was rolled away from the house. ‘Mess’ was everywhere. They had defecated on the side of the pool. What appeared to be blood on one end. And all I could think of was, “I wonder how to make a quick noise suppressor, so I can take them all out with my .22?”

These are nasty creatures. The smaller one looked like he may have been bleeding. We have had a couple test positive for rabies in the area within the last 2 or so years. I am pretty sure that shooting them is illegal, at least because it is in town. Besides, I suspect multiple gunshots at 3 a.m. would attract some unwanted attention. We’ve tried catching them before, and ‘coons are smart.

So, what DO I do?

This town's not big enough for all of us.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; November 15th, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add last line
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

We had something like that a couple nights ago. We have a hot tub off the bedroom. About 9pm we opened the french doors in the bedroom to open the tub. The dogs took advantage of the open door to go outside, and pretty soon they were barking their heads off. Then it went from barking to attacking. I grabbed my 2" .357 and a Surefire, and went out. They had gotten into a possum.

My girlfriend was screaming at me to shoot it, but I was afraid the blast would wake the dead, and the flash would give me away. I went in, and got a .22 pistol, shot him, and dumped him over the fence with a shovel. We sat in the tub without hearing sirens, or seeing a PD helicopter, so I got away with it. We live in a neighborhood with half acre lots in town, but we have lots of wildlife, even a flock of turkeys.

When I told my brother about it, he came up with a solution for me. He's bringing me some of his Remington CB's. They are a .22 long rifle subsonic, and they say they are quieter than popcorn popping on the box. The box says to shoot them out of a closed breech rifle with at least a 16" barrel for minimum noise.

I think Possums are more disgusting than coons, but to each their own. I'm with you on keeping the yard vermin free.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    We’ve tried catching them before, and ‘coons are smart.

So, what DO I do?
    In the past, I've the wild animal folks supply a "live" trap (cage) that I used to catch them. Did this a few times with some surly and unruly raccoons. While a couple of them were exceedingly smart and took some patience (over weeks) to finally catch, it did the trick with all of them.

The key is: what bait you use. I found that a slice of fresh white bread with peanut butter and honey smeared over it was irresistible. It got stolen a dozen times with the smartest of the group, but it finally worked on all of them. Simply called the folks in the morning to have them pick up the trap and leave another one for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Peskey critter's.

Here's something I've been looking 'real' hard (ok...drooling over) for just such bandits.
    2nd page
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

CCI low velocity shorts (.22) make less noise than the air rifle (almost).

Air rifle, bow and arrow, slingshot. They would probably enter the trap if you put sardines in there.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    If discharging a firearm is illegal where you live, check out a pellet gun. Do check on the laws first, though. Some municipalities define a "firearm"as anything that launches a projectile (bbguns, bows, and slingshots all fall under this general definition).
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Get your self a good Have-a-Hart trap, you may have to reinforce the cage with extra wire, they can bust out and anchor cage. Bait with cat food, trap coon, fill large garbage can with water, drop caged coon in for underwater training. Repeat as needed.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Live trap...after catch...drop in pool for a few minutes...no noise.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Peskey critter's.

Here's something I've been looking 'real' hard (ok...drooling over) for just such bandits.
    2nd page
    Off topic but are those technically considered class 3? Do you need a stamp or are they just a aftermarket "barrel?"
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Here's an "Internet Rumor" to test or debunk:

A one or two liter plastic pop bottle inserted over the muzzle and taped in place...

Never tried it. Maybe good for one or two shots?

Raccoons can be nasty critters, as can possums. Good luck ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    When I told my brother about it, he came up with a solution for me. He's bringing me some of his Remington CB's. They are a .22 long rifle subsonic, and they say they are quieter than popcorn popping on the box. The box says to shoot them out of a closed breech rifle with at least a 16" barrel for minimum noise.

I think Possums are more disgusting than coons, but to each their own. I'm with you on keeping the yard vermin free.
    Thanks. I'll track down some of the Remington CBs "just in case."

As for the possums, we have those with some regularity too.
    But, they are far more stupid than the raccoons and can be trapped more easily. They are uglier; coons are cute....until you see what they do to stuff.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

We had a skunk problem that was dispatched with the "water training method"... very effective. Now we have an oppossum - definitely not as bad as the skunk.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Coons may be tougher than you think, .22 CB's are OK for squirrels. I would not shoot coons with them, I can see them getting hit, running away and possibly dieing in the neighbors yard. Then it's game warden time, fun fun fun!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Coons may be tougher than you think, .22 CB's are OK for squirrels. I would not shoot coons with them, I can see them getting hit, running away and possibly dieing in the neighbors yard. Then it's game warden time, fun fun fun!!
    Headshots my friend. Headshots. If ya can't plink the heads from the range of a backyard, you shouldn't be shooting at em to begin with!

I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links