Hunting Season Open, But I'm Not A Hunter!

This is a discussion on Hunting Season Open, But I'm Not A Hunter! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hunting season (gun) opened today in NY State, and runs through December 7th. That means my range is closed, so I can't practice, I can't ...

Thread: Hunting Season Open, But I'm Not A Hunter!

Hunting Season Open, But I'm Not A Hunter!

Hunting season (gun) opened today in NY State, and runs through December 7th. That means my range is closed, so I can't practice, I can't shoot trap, and since I don't hunt, my guns are all cleaned and put away until season ends.

I put the trusty orange bandana on my dog Max, went out for a nice walk in the woods, and realized that I would really miss shooting for the next three weeks.

I guess I will have to play some of those games that people have been posting lately, to pass the time.

If you are in New York State and are out hunting, be careful out there!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    It seems a little strange to me that a shooting range is closed during hunting season? Hmm, what if a hunter knocks his sights off while hunting and needs to re-sight his gun? Are you sure there is nowhere to shoot? How 'bout an indoor range? There must be somewhere you can punch paper.

I put the trusty orange bandana on my dog Max, went out for a nice walk in the woods, and realized that I would really miss shooting for the next three weeks.
    >>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    It seems a little strange to me that a shooting range is closed during hunting season? Hmm, what if a hunter knocks his sights off while hunting and needs to re-sight his gun? Are you sure there is nowhere to shoot? How 'bout shooting at your own property?>>---->
    The range is closed, because hunters use the acreage for hunting, and they don't want stray bullets going into the woods. It's a very large property, and many range members are on the property hunting.

My property is only a few acres, and there are neighbors too close (per NY law) to shoot on my own property.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Hunting season (gun) opened today in NY State
    I put the trusty orange bandana on my dog Max, went out for a nice walk in the woods,
    A orange vest and hat for yourself might be a good idea as well. Sorry you cannot shoot for a while.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    A orange vest and hat for yourself might be a good idea as well.
    Yes, of course. Goes without saying!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Buy a hunting license, and go out and shoot, you don't have to hunt. By buying a license you help support wildlife. When you are shooting just be sure of your backstop.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to be wandering the woods during hunting season, orange vest or not.

We all know there are plenty of stupid people out there
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I wouldn't want to be wandering the woods during hunting season, orange vest or not.

We all know there are plenty of stupid people out there
    Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by woods!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

NY woods can be interesting during hunting season. In particular the Catskill area north of NYC.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

one of the rules we live by here is, while out walking in the woods, under no circumstance are you allowed to stick your arms up in the air above your head..looks too much like antlers!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by woods!
    Me too, and I love it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Ah yes, the "once a year deer hunters". We have quite a few of those in Ohio as well. Sadly, these folks only touch their gun the weekend prior to deer gun season and then are let loose in the woods. *One of the main reason I will not hunt public land during deer season.

Those who do not know what they are doing should NOT DO IT... From owning a gun to getting a hunting permit.

November 17, 2008 - 1:41PM
    Associated Press
    SWAN LAKE, N.Y.
    An upstate toddler is dead and a New York City man is charged with manslaughter after a hunting accident in the Hudson Valley.

The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that Edward Taibi of Queens was hunting Sunday afternoon in rural Sullivan County when he shot a deer and then fired again about 400 feet away from a mobile home.

A 16-month-old girl in the home was hit in the upper body. She was flown to Westchester Medical Center, where she died. The child's name was not released.

State police have charged 45-year-old Taibi with second-degree manslaughter. Police are still investigating.

A telephone listing for Taibi was not found and it could not be immediately determined if he has a lawyer.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Those who do not know what they are doing should NOT DO IT... From owning a gun to getting a hunting permit.
    It's terrible that we hear about these tragedies every year. My prayers go out to the family.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links