need some stats

need some stats

This is a discussion on need some stats within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; can anyone help me find some statistics regarding the number of murders and assaults that take place during a burglary? kinda specific, I know, but ...

Thread: need some stats

need some stats

can anyone help me find some statistics regarding the number of murders and assaults that take place during a burglary?
    kinda specific, I know, but Im not finding it
    need to win an argument with an anti
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

nobody?

-Clint Smith

Abracadabra!

86 in 2007.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

During a burglary or during a break-in? In a burglary the perp breaks in to steal. "Break-in" is a broader term and could refer to a forced entry to rape, commit mayhem, kill, etc.

break in would work better I guess then

thanks matiki

-Clint Smith

Check out page 16. This is for 2006
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus0604.pdf

It doesn't specifically address "during a burglary" but it has numbers of incidents and percentages in the victims home.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Abracadabra!

86 in 2007.
    Is that rates per 100,000?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    During a burglary or during a break-in? In a burglary the perp breaks in to steal. "Break-in" is a broader term and could refer to a forced entry to rape, commit mayhem, kill, etc.
    "Burglary" is trespassing with intent of committing any crime.

So if you break in to borrow a pen to forge a check, that's burglary.

But if you break in to borrow a pen to write a letter, that's not.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    "Burglary" is trespassing with intent of committing any crime.

So if you break in to borrow a pen to forge a check, that's burglary.

But if you break in to borrow a pen to write a letter, that's not.
    If you 'borrow' a pen to write a letter without the permission of the owner, you are stealing the ink. Anyway, you can't just 'borrow' stuff without permission, that's theft.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Is that rates per 100,000?
    No. That's the total number. 86 burglaries escalated to murder in 2007.

Keep in mind the difference between burglary and robbery, which results in murder far more often. I'm surprised burglary is even a category, it seems to me the moment it becomes homicide it's clearly a robbery.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    No. That's the total number. 86 burglaries escalated to murder in 2007.

Keep in mind the difference between burglary and robbery, which results in murder far more often. I'm surprised burglary is even a category, it seems to me the moment it becomes homicide it's clearly a robbery.
    I'm a bit confused...the numbers seem too low. For instance, it lists homicides by 'sniper attack' for 2003 at 2, but in a specific sniper incident in 2003 (2003 West Virginia sniper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) 3 people were killed.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I'm a bit confused...the numbers seem too low. For instance, it lists homicides by 'sniper attack' for 2003 at 2, but in a specific sniper incident in 2003 (2003 West Virginia sniper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) 3 people were killed.
    Like all stats, there are issues. The FBI's UCR relies on the local police departments to categorize the crimes that they enter into the system. They probably categorized the attacks you referenced differently.

This doesn't mean that it's not more accurate than other measures such as the national crime victimization survey. I think the numbers for burglary -> homicide are quite high. I think the robbery -> homicide numbers are low. But that's just my $.02.

I see. So, with 100 million households in the US, if the rate remains the same, on average during the next 50 years there is a 0.0043% chance of me being a victim of a burglary-homicide.

Is it just me or does this seem astronomically low?

From that table it looks like the only thing I should really be worried about should be robbery (approximately 0.02% lifetime chance of death).

And of course, assuming I live in a safe neighborhood and do not partake in any risky behaviors, the probabilities are even lower.

The only thing about these stats that makes a worthy argument for CCW is the fact that they are so low in part because of CCW. Kind of a funny catch-22...if people CCW, they won't need it, but if CCW is banned, that's when people become victims more often.

The way I look at it is this, with 86 cases in 2007 that's almost 2 per state. There were none in mine. How about yours? How common is it really?

It is certainly common to hear about a homeowner shooting a burglar, or being shot, but not usually being killed.

A quick search of google news for 01/07 to 12/07 produced 2 articles about burglars killing homeowners and 1 where they killed a police officer (in 10 pages of articles) there were dozens of cases the other way around.

Now... you could be smart in how you use that, as you pointed out. Why are there so many more cases of burglars being shot/detained/scared off then there are cases of burglars killing homeowners? Because the homeowners are armed.

Links