Being Cheap or Making Better Use of Space?

This is a discussion on Being Cheap or Making Better Use of Space? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well with the addition of the two new pistols this past Friday. I had to figure out where to put them and such. The safe ...

Thread: Being Cheap or Making Better Use of Space?

Being Cheap or Making Better Use of Space?

Well with the addition of the two new pistols this past Friday. I had to figure out where to put them and such. The safe where I keep most of my pistols is pretty full with 4 revolvers and 3 semi autos, along with primers, powder and various other things.

I usually keep the handguns that are loaded in a quick access safe for quick and easy access. I leave it open at night and after putting on my pistol in the morning when I get dressed lock it up.

Well when I took out one of the guns usually kept there and replaced it with the two I just picked up, well it didn't seem to be very organized. Below are pics of the safe, and the before and then the after shots. I think it will work out pretty good with the guns being easy to get at out, and into service if they need to be deployed. Now it easily holds the new G19, the 24/7, and the PT111, each with a space for an additional magazine.

All it took was some $8 seat cushion foam from Wally World and some cutting and glue. Actually there is enough foam to do two setups like this in the package.

Does anyone else have any mods they have made to their quick access safes to make things more organized?

Last edited by farronwolf; November 17th, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Is the safe hidden?
    You don't want it to just be a 'carrying case'.

Looks like the form works just fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great home made devise! I've got racks that do the same thing, but I never would have thought of your plan. You've almost got room to do a second story in that box!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Is the safe hidden?
    You don't want it to just be a 'carrying case'.

Looks like the form works just fine.
    No, it isn't hidden, it is bolted on the bottom to the shelf that is in our closet, which is attached to the wall. If they want it bad enough they will be able to get it as long as they do it before the police arrive when the alarm goes off.

If for some reason the police or neighbors don't show up, well I probably have enough tools that it really won't matter, they could dismantle the house to take any of the safes with them if they choose.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nice work there, and on the cheap too (best of both worlds).

BTW, the Glock looks nice in there

Sorry, I had to bring it up.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

jfl
    Looks very good. Bright idea !!!

I was told modern safes have some kind of chemical in the walls that release humidity to make them fire-proof and that constant humidity might corrode the guns; did I dream that ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Now that's some smart thinking! Very ingenious! You now have earned your degree in on-site engineering! Worth 12 full credits if anyone asks. Your diploma is in the mail! Trust me!

Looks great to me. Easier to grab in a hurry too.

-Jeff-

Links