Tot dies from hunting accident; NYC man charged with manslaughter

This is a discussion on Tot dies from hunting accident; NYC man charged with manslaughter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was originally posted by Boscobeans in one of my threads. Just thought I'd share it with everyone else: Swan Lake tot dies from hunting ...

Thread: Tot dies from hunting accident; NYC man charged with manslaughter

Tot dies from hunting accident; NYC man charged with manslaughter

This was originally posted by Boscobeans in one of my threads. Just thought I'd share it with everyone else:

Swan Lake tot dies from hunting accident; NYC man charged with manslaughter

November 17, 2008 8:22 AM
    SWAN LAKE — A Swan Lake toddler has died and a New York City man has been charged with manslaughter in the hunting accident on a rural Sullivan County road Sunday afternoon.

State Police have arrested Edward J. Taibi, 45, of Howard Beach for the shooting that they say killed 16-month-old Charly Skala.

Around 4 p.m., Skala was standing in the kitchen of her grandparents mobile home at 1338 Horseshoe Lake Road, where the family had gathered to watch football.

The bullet ripped through a wall and struck her in the area of the right shoulder and neck.

She was taken by relatives in a car to Catskill Regional Medical Center in Harris, then flown to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where she died from her injuries.

Police say Taibi was in a tree stand and shot once at a deer, wounding it. He then fired a second time from about 400 feet away from the mobile home. He was hunting with a .300 Winchester Magnum high-powered rifle.

Taibi was arraigned in the town of Bethel court and taken to the Sullivan County jail on no bail. It is unclear if Taibi broke any hunting rules. He had hunted on the property before and was a friend of the property owner.

Taibi “was very broke up” about the incident and remorseful, investigators say.

The manslaughter charges stems from recklessness.

“His actions resulted in the death of another,” said Chief Investigator Mike Orrego of the State Police’s Liberty barracks.

“He killed a person. You do have the obligation to the safety of others.”

Authorities, led by the state police, were taking measurements on the property Monday morning.

“It is a tragic event,” Orrego said. “I hope this isn’t a sign to come for the remainder of the hunting season.”

The death of a little girl had hunters also shaking their heads in the nearby Swan Lake Country Store.

One hunter called it a freak “needle in a haystack shot.”

Neighbor Chester Davis Jr. said he sometimes saw the toddler playing with her parents and grandparents on play equipment outside the mobile home.

“They are nice people,” he said.

Davis himself was coming home from hunting, when learned of the accident. He could not imagine how a toddler so little and innocent, standing behind the safety of walls and being looked after by her entire family, could be killed in such a way.

“A grown person should be more sensible,” he said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Sad, very sad, Know your target and whats beyond. Most tree stand hunters are shooting downward at deer below?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Sad indeed, sounds like he may have moved from his tree for the second shot. Regardless, shooting toward a residence at 133 yds. can only be tempting fate. I grieve with all affected...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    The same happen here where a LEO attempted to kill a snake in a tree? with his gun and the bullet struck and killed a 5 year old fishing at a pond.

Rick

Same age as my son... Beyond sad.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

“A grown person should be more sensible,” he said.
    Very profound.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Sad, but freak accident.
    I stopped hunting in N. MI years ago because of too many hunters in every small area...accidents will happen.
    No winners here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Knowing your background. .. what's behind whatever you are shooting at.
    Everyone loses here. Sad.

It wasn't a "freak" accident unless you consider 2 party "freak" hunting accidents happen now about 200+ times a year where a hunter kills another human being unintentionally. The good news is that such "freak" accidents are down from over 600 per year in the last decade according to the IHEA. They attribute the decline in such "freak" accidents to hunter education programs.

In other words, they aren't freak accidents at all, but all too common acts of negligence that is slowly being mitigated by education programs (but not eradicated).
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Not only did the hunter act with negligence, but apparently he was breaking the law in the process. State law has it that discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a residence is illegal. He was firing toward a residence from 400 feet.

FOXNews.com - New York Deer Hunter Kills Toddler With Stray Bullet - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

New York Deer Hunter Kills Toddler With Stray Bullet

SWAN LAKE, N.Y. — An upstate toddler was killed by a stray bullet when a New York City deer hunter fired his rifle too close to her grandparents' Hudson Valley home.

Edward Taibi, 45, of Queens was being held without bail Monday after arraignment on a second-degree manslaughter charge in the town of Bethel court. Taibi was hunting from a tree stand Sunday afternoon in rural Sullivan County when he shot a deer. He came down from the stand and fired the .30-caliber rifle again about 400 feet away from a trailer home in Swan Lake, a small community just south of the Catskill Mountains.

The bullet hit 16-month-old Charly Skala in the upper body. She was flown to Westchester Medical Center, where she died. Police said the child's parents live in nearby Woodburne.

Taibi is friends with the owner of the neighboring property and had hunted there before, said State Police Lt. Pierce Gallagher.

His case was assigned to the Sullivan Legal Aid Bureau, where attorney Jeff Bradley said Monday it was too soon to comment on the case.

Several neighbors declined comment Monday afternoon when reached by The Associated Press.

The rifle season for deer opened Saturday in the region that includes Sullivan County. Under state law, it's illegal to discharge a firearm or bow within 500 feet of any occupied residence or business unless the hunter owns or leases the property, or has the owner's consent, according to Maureen Wren of the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

Swan Lake is about 85 miles northwest of New York City.

Here's a slide show of the area that was just posted in the local paper:

Photo Gallery
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I havent really looked into this incident much since I was just made aware of it a little while ago. I wouldnt consider it a "freak" accident. The man was irresponsible. Apparently he was also in trouble for firing a firearm with 500 feet of a dwelling, and supposedly hunting over bait (according to the Times Herald Record).

Now I dont mean to sound derogatory towards people from NYC as I know many people from there that are responsible successful hunters, but, it seems that quite a few people from there get their hunting license and wander off into the woods of upstate New York and have no clue where they are or what their doing. There have been incidents of people from the city hunting farmers' sheep, horses, etc. I cant begin to tell you the number of people that have come up this way that just didnt have a clue!! Sorry for my rant.

IMHO a .300 winmag on a deer is extreme overkill anyway,most populated states have outlawed hunting with high powered rifles and only allow shotguns with slugs or buckshot.If he was in a tree stand he must of seen the residence and known where it was at and then to fire a shot in the direction is totally negligent,buck fever gets more people killed than anything,there is no game worth a life,I have seen people almost get shot over a pheasant or quail.I left and never hunted with them again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links