Moving to IL, maybe...

This is a discussion on Moving to IL, maybe... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, its been crazy at work and I've been going 90 miles an hour for the last month, and haven't had much time to get ...

View Poll Results: Accept the offer?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

7 8.05%
  • Not a chance

26 29.89%
  • Take the interview and decide from there

49 56.32%
  • Take the interview for a free trip to visit my friend

5 5.75%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to IL, maybe...

Moving to IL, maybe...

So, its been crazy at work and I've been going 90 miles an hour for the last month, and haven't had much time to get on DC.

Anyway, about a week ago, a good friend of mine from the Navy called me and offered me a management job at a Nuclear Power Plant for about twice what I'm making now, plus bonuses, plus great advancement...

Hence the dillema...Do I move from the great state of Texas to ughhh, IL, in pursuit of a great opportunity, say no, or just let them fly me up for an interview and get a free trip to visit an old buddy?

Right now, I'm at about 85% yes, but I would have to say bye to the CHL, and I'm not even sure if I could bring my 'assault rifles' or even have a place to shoot them if I did.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It's about 65 miles outside of Chicago.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Take the interview and go from there.

I answered take the interview and go from there.

What I wanted to say is absolutely and I'll take care of those nasty EBR's for you while you're there.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Take the job and leave all your weapons with me and you can use them whenever you come back to visit. You already know where my range is. Ain't it great to have friends.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Take the interview and go from there is my vote. I'm sure you could find a place to shoot, it may be a drive but with almost double your salary gasoline won't be your biggest problem.

What about living in Indiana, would that be too far away and are they even a gun friendly state?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    In the end it's all about supposting your family and yourself.
    Twice your current salary? You go.
    Can you live in a border state that's less restrictive?
    Might be worth a little longer commute

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I could not live in Illinois, Ca, NJ, etc. I used to Live in Lajolla, Ca and moved because of the political movement there. I choose to live as free a man as possible, and am willing to sacrafice to do so. It is all about your own belief system, and what has the most emphasis in your life

There's more to life than the ability to ccw......and being responsible for your family (and/or yourself) means more than just protecting them from physical harm. When the pro's and con's are weighed, for the opportunity you describe, I'd go.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    There's more to life than the ability to ccw......and being responsible for your family (and/or yourself) means more than just protecting them from physical harm. When the pro's and con's are weighed, for the opportunity you describe, I'd go.
    until you get caught the one day that you need it, and everything slips away. Giving yourself every opportunity to make it home safely to your family is very important to me. Not trying to stir a hornets nest, but giving away freedom for a buck has never made much sense to me

Take the job, keep your guns and keep the guns at a low profile.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

As much as I'd hate to give up my CCW, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't jump at a 100% raise. Then I'd campaign and vote for whatever good I could do. Assuming I felt comfortable that the job was stable and benefits were decent.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Take the trip up for an interview and go from there.
    You said the plant was about 65 miles from Chicago, which direction? If it is to the south there is always the option of living in Indiana and commuting to work everyday. You could still have a CWP and keep all your guns. Just be disarmed while traveling to and from work.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's South West of Chicago, but since it is at a Nuclear Power Plant, I couldn't carry there, or in my car in the first place.

If I accept the job, I do know that one of the first things I will do is apply for some kind of carry permit...from there, we might see a Kerbouchard vs IL.

It's definitely a tough decision, and 3 weeks ago, I would have never even thought about moving out of Texas and relinquishing some of the rights we have here. I was content at what I was doing and where I was living.

Now that has all changed. In a troubled economy I need to be opportunity driven vs content. My current job is stable, but I don't see anyway I can double my salary within 1 year, or even 5 where I am currently at. (Cost of living is about the same)

There is more to life that concealed carry, but could I really deal with all those Yankees?

P.S., I'll be renting out my house instead of selling it, so I could always come back to TX in a few years...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

When you say "Cost of living is the same", do you mean at the new job opportunity in IL vs. your current location? Or will some of the proposed pay increase be negated by a higher cost of living in IL?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It's South West of Chicago, but since it is at a Nuclear Power Plant, I couldn't carry there, or in my car in the first place.

If I accept the job, I do know that one of the first things I will do is apply for some kind of carry permit...from there, we might see a Kerbouchard vs IL.

It's definitely a tough decision, and 3 weeks ago, I would have never even thought about moving out of Texas and relinquishing some of the rights we have here. I was content at what I was doing and where I was living.

Now that has all changed. In a troubled economy I need to be opportunity driven vs content. My current job is stable, but I don't see anyway I can double my salary within 1 year, or even 5 where I am currently at. (Cost of living is about the same)

There is more to life that concealed carry, but could I really deal with all those Yankees?

P.S., I'll be renting out my house instead of selling it, so I could always come back to TX in a few years...
    Well I wish you the best of luck if you choose to live there.

Interesting name btw, reminds me of a book by louis lamour (sp?) called "the walking drum"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links