I wonder if the cats name is Joe

This is a discussion on I wonder if the cats name is Joe within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want one of these for a guard cat. Can name it Joe in honor of sixto's little buddy. Family Cougar Attacks GirlFriend Of IntruderbyMorninpaper ...

VIP Member

I want one of these for a guard cat. Can name it Joe in honor of sixto's little buddy.

Family Cougar Attacks GirlFriend Of IntruderbyMorninpaper

Another big cat attack, but this time no one dies. A boy who broke into a home of his former employer to show off to his girlfriend really showed her something. He showed her how she could get her head in the jaws of the family cougar. The cougar didn't recognize her and attacked, luckily the next door neighbor heard the screaming, ran over and got the cougar to let go.

The boy was arrested and she will most likely follow, after she gets out of the hospital.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

All I could think of was SIXTO trying to feed his kitten a pill..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

What does a 150-lb "cat" say when the doorbell rings? "Lunch."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What does a 150-lb "cat" say when the doorbell rings? "Lunch."
    Do you think a side of cat-nip comes with that?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I saw that the other day... now thats a cat. I'd hate to clean that litter box.

I kinda feel sorry for the owner and the cat now, he's going to pay dearly for the dumb mistake of that kid. I do have to wonder though what kind of steps the owner took to secure such an animal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hard to say what the final outcome will be. House was broken into. Cat was caged according to the report, the DA who was trying to impress his girlfriend let it out of the cage. Guess he did impress her!

I'm sure the girl will probably sue. If she wins I'd then turn around and sue her for double whatever she is awarded. After all, she broke into the home, just think of the mental anguish the owner must now live with. Might even be forced to sell his home and move, because he no long feels safe living there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm pretty sure that the girl will sue the homeowner. And, she'll likely win.

The homeowner doesn't have any real defense. The cougar was an "attractive nuisance" which caused the boyfriend to break in (trespass). The fact that the cat attacked the girl after the BF opened the cage isn't an issue on her culpability for her injuries because SHE didn't open the cage.

Basically, knowing that he owned a very dangerous animal which is likely to attract idiots into doing unlawful things, the homeowner was required to take reasonable steps to ensure that NO ONE could open the cage other than the owner. The fact that the cage could be opened and that the cat attacked a third person shows that the homeowner didn't do enough to reasonably ensure the safety of those in the home (lawfully or unlawfully).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the girl will sue the homeowner. And, she'll likely win.

The homeowner doesn't have any real defense. The cougar was an "attractive nuisance" which caused the boyfriend to break in (trespass). The fact that the cat attacked the girl after the BF opened the cage isn't an issue on her culpability for her injuries because SHE didn't open the cage.

Basically, knowing that he owned a very dangerous animal which is likely to attract idiots into doing unlawful things, the homeowner was required to take reasonable steps to ensure that NO ONE could open the cage other than the owner. The fact that the cage could be opened and that the cat attacked a third person shows that the homeowner didn't do enough to reasonably ensure the safety of those in the home (lawfully or unlawfully).
    Not if the state has a 'Castle Doctrine'... OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I saw that the other day... now thats a cat. I'd hate to clean that litter box.

I kinda feel sorry for the owner and the cat now, he's going to pay dearly for the dumb mistake of that kid. I do have to wonder though what kind of steps the owner took to secure such an animal.
    I don't think so. The owner has a license to keep wild animals, he just passed inspection a month ago and he is some sort of scientist/teacher. Both young brainless basically broke in the house as they did not have permission from the owner to enter. As I read it, the guy wanted to show off to the girl about handling wild animals.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I don't think so. The owner has a license to keep wild animals, he just passed inspection a month ago and he is some sort of scientist/teacher. Both young brainless basically broke in the house as they did not have permission from the owner to enter. As I read it, the guy wanted to show off to the girl about handling wild animals.
    I hope your right. I dont know, but I was thinking that the cat owner might be a goof or something. I was hoping he was legit; sounds as if he is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Finally! Found some links
    Teen mauled by cougar in North Miami-Dade

BY JOSE PAGLIERY, JENNIFER LEBOVICH AND KIRSTIN MAGUIRE
    jpagliery@MiamiHerald.com

A young man's irresponsible bravado nearly cost a young girl her life Saturday afternoon.

The 16-year-old girl was mauled by a cougar and rushed to the hospital after she and 21-year-old Anthony Zitnick illegally entered a wildlife collector's home about 1:30 p.m. Neighbors believe Zitnick was trying to impress the younger girl.

Alan Rigerman, who legally keeps two cougars and several snakes, tortoises and alligators at his North Miami-Dade home, was out for the weekend at a reptile show in Central Florida.

Wildlife officials said the retired Miami-Dade school science teacher had permits for the animals.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Eddy Ballester said the girl sustained some significant wounds that warranted taking her to a local hospital.

Miami-Dade police arrested Zitnick for his unauthorized entry into the Rigerman's home. Neighbors said paramedics also treated Zitnick, who was in shock after Chaos, a 150-pound male cougar, attacked the girl he brought inside the home.

Dried blood covered Rigerman's concrete floor at the spot where the 4-year-old cougar pounced on the girl and clenched his jaws around her head.

Richard Miralles, a neighbor familiar with Rigerman's large cats, heard the girl's piercing scream from next door.

'I heard her scream, `I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die,' '' he said, hours after paramedics had left.

Miralles said he immediately dropped what he was doing, jumped his six-foot fence, and barged into Rigerman's back room -- only to find the girl pinned beneath Chaos, her head in his mouth and his large declawed paw on her face. Zitnick was standing nearby in shock, Miralles said.

At first, Miralles said, he tried to push Chaos off, but he wouldn't budge. He then resorted to punching and kicking the cougar, who quickly balled up in a corner, he said.

Miralles then picked up the girl, who was bleeding profusely from her head and thigh, and ran outside to wait for an ambulance.

Rigerman left the area Friday and put his neighbor, Jason Medina, in charge of feeding the animals while he was away at Repticon, a two-day international reptile show in the Tampa Bay area.

The retired Hialeah-Miami Lakes High teacher said he was shocked to hear that ''A.J.'' Zitnick, whom he said was his young friend, had entered his home without permission. Rigerman said Zitnick entered with a key he'd given him soon after Hurricane Wilma in 2005, when the teenager did yard work for the older man.

''And he helped me with my cats under my supervision,'' he said. ``But never, never, never alone.''

Zitnick's family could not be reached for comment.

Rigerman said he's worried for the young girl and is sorry that Zitnick got arrested, adding, ``they had no right to be in my home.''

''I'm worried about my absolutely spotless reputation with what I do with these animals,'' he said.

Neighbors said Zitnick most likely entered the home simply to show the girl the cougars.

''He took it upon himself to bring his girlfriend here,'' Miralles said.

''And show off,'' Medina added.

According to Rigerman, his place was last inspected by wildlife officials on Thursday -- he passed with flying colors, he said. He owns a captive-wildlife permit that allows him to keep the animals at his home.

Hours after the incident, Chaos and his cougar mother, Chantelle, lied quietly on the concrete floor of their large indoor cages. Chaos seemed calm, his breathing steady. His eyes were focused and narrow, and his muscles flexed beneath his skin.

''Honestly, he's like a kid,'' Medina said, sighing. ``He likes to play.''

Chaos is still at the house -- in a cage -- and that's where he'll stay for now, said Jorge Pino, spokesman for Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not if the state has a 'Castle Doctrine'... OMO
    Unfortunately, the CD won't protect the owner from an attractive nuisance suit. Especially since the guy HAD A KEY given to him by the owner. The kid was, presumably, allowed to enter the property/home at will.

The question presented will be something like: Is it forseeable that someone who has authorization to be inside the home could open the cage and let the animal escape and subsequently injure someone? The answer to that question is yes because the owner did not secure the cage sufficiently to prevent someone from opening it in his absence.

The CD only allows someone to protect themselves if their home is invaded. It does not authorize the setting of "burglar traps" which have the ability to kill or maim while the homeowner is not present. Nor does the CD protect against "dog/animal bite" type situations. Thus, the CD is of no use here.

Links