Does Anyone Else Smell This?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Else Smell This? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was'nt sure where to put this but it seems like the right place. I've only been a member here for a few months, but, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Smell This?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Does Anyone Else Smell This?

I was'nt sure where to put this but it seems like the right place.

I've only been a member here for a few months, but, have lurked here for several. Have carried for about 6yrs and am a member of many gun forums and other "general entertainment" type discussion boards. I am an extreme advocate of firearm safety and proper gun handling.

It seems like lately, on this and other forums, there seems to be quite a few really young posters. I can almost "smell" their ages by how they represent themselves in a discussion and how their sentences are structured. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and plain old "English" are usually a dead give away.

I have read several posts over the past 3-4 weeks that have terrible spelling and grammar. Some, I can't even tell what the original poster is asking due to misspelled words, abreviations and general sentence structure.

"yo dudes ima nedin som help wit ma gun can i shoot it in da air at plains"

I completely understand why people join these internet forums. Some are very informative and assemble a vast knowledge from all walks of life that others can use in their daily lives. It is very pleasing for me to go somewhere on the web, search for answers to a problem and also be able to share some of my experiences to help others with similar interests.

I have enjoyed my involvement here at DC considerably and look forward to my daily visits.

Now that I have ranted about something that may or may not bother anyone else, please forgive my one way thinking and I will go back to my own little dream world.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    "Does anyone else smell this?"

Oh yeah.

Administrator
    I smell them, but they come and go rather quickly. Summers are the worst time for it.

I don't mind kids asking questions, as long as they let it be known they are kids... it's usually pretty easy to tell though. Sometimes they are just dumb adults too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

EW3
    I look a number of online college classes in the past few years and saw the exact same thing. You could always tell who the older students were; correct spelling, proper grammar, punctuation.

The younger students had terrible spelling, grammar and punctuation; many wrote in text-message-ese and wouldn't capitalize or spell anything correctly most of the time.

Very annoying.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

You can tell a lot from someones writing. In fact, I've had the pleasure of attending a conference where an extremely experienced linguist was able to correctly profile just about anyone that wrote more than 6 sentences. He even correctly determined that a threatening note was written by a deaf teenager based on their improper use of foul language - after all, proper usage of such a thing is not taught in textbooks. He told me that text messaging and the very thing you are complaining about is making his job a little easier right now (since it's mostly younger generations that let it slip into common usage), but eventually if it becomes more common he may have a harder time.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Although it can get annoying, remember that these kids will have a say in the voting booth in the future.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes. Page long paragraphs with zero punctuation or capitalization. Sentences with improper use of (to, too, two), (their, there, they're), and my pet peeve, using the word loose to mean lose. I'm seeing this everywhere these days and coming from people who claim to have been to school.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    "Does anyone else smell this?"

Oh yeah.
    Agreed. There seems to be some trolling going on.....but most here are just like me, or the rest of us, looking for information, bouncing ideas off the experience represented by our members, or just hanging out.

NOW...completly off topic, allow me this small hijack:I'm looking around, checking out some of the 'New Posts', and just "hangingout".......when I spy this thread " Does Anyone Else Smell This?" The instant I read the topic's title my pooch (see avatar) let loose a special 'smell' chasing me AND the wife outta the room Dang Dog!

End hijack
    Last edited by goldshellback; November 20th, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Oops....spelling
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Although it can get annoying, remember that these kids will have a say in the voting booth in the future.
    That's pretty frightening.

It is pretty frightening! Like that Zogby poll of Obama voters.

88% did not know who won his first elected position by having all of the other candidates kicked off the ballot or which party currently has control of congress, but 90% knew who spent $150,000 on wardrobe.

Get some unbiased edumacation sheeple!

Administrator
    OK - Try to stay off the O'Bomb Elect and on the thread topic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For those of us that do the 2 finger typing and have learned to text we are starting to sound like younguns or caveman/tarzan.

I try to be an economist w/ words.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Well, My spelling sucks. I rely too much on spell check. I am not a kid either.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Every one has to keep in mind that a forum full of old folks does nothing for the cause. We youngsters need to be dealt with with patience because we are the next generation. While I like to think I use decent grammar, I am not writing an essay to be graded. I started on this forum before I was 21 and am still around; some young people really do just want to learn.

P.S.
    My spelling is terrible and it has nothing to do with my age.

OMG.... wat is wit the hatin' on the young peeps??

JUST KIDDING

I'm still in the 20's crowd, upper 20's though, but I tend to agree with you. On one hand we've pretty much grown up with computers, email, text messaging, instant messaging, etc... and the quick little one line email or reply message with abbreviated "slang" is kind of part of how we communicate.

BUT, it really doesn't take much effort to go a step beyond that and put together a coherent sentence with proper grammar when doing something like posting on a forum or writing a lengthy email.

If I'm just sending a quick text message to a friend or something then I'll just be short and quick and don't really care about spelling everything out or proper grammar. But on here and in more "public" arenas I feel it's different.

Heck, I'm in med school and am STILL amazed at how informally some students talk/correspond with professors. I just don't think some people take the time to think about how they come across to others.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links