Time Travel Where To?

This is a discussion on Time Travel Where To? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by raevan Here is the paradox, you change just one little thing you may make things worse and you may not even exist ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel Where To?

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Here is the paradox, you change just one little thing you may make things worse and you may not even exist to go back in time. There is no way to control the future outcome if you change anything. If you went far enough back and killed the right person (pre Sumer) non of the current religions would exist and there would be none of the problems we have now.
    That assumes that whatever religions formed in their absence didn't cause an equal amount of conflict and strife...

The butterfly effect... not something to toy with. NO thanks!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Assuming i wasn't going to rewrite all of history as we know it, i am torn between taking my laptop and other gizmos back to Thomas Edison's work shop, or around the time Sweeny Todd was supposed to take place.

I wonder if 1880 is covered by my cellphone provider, or if that would be roaming.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Here is the paradox, you change just one little thing you may make things worse and you may not even exist to go back in time. There is no way to control the future outcome if you change anything. If you went far enough back and killed the right person (pre Sumer) non of the current religions would exist and there would be none of the problems we have now.
    I'm not religious, but for those of you that are. Perhaps Hitler and Stalin were Gods way of preventing something much worse. Perhaps they killed someone who was much, much worse then Hitler or Stalin ever thought of being. Perhaps those two were Gods way of nudging humanity in a certain direction and teaching us a lesson. Wars have a way of causing surges in technological advancement. A lot of the technology we have today can be traced back to wartime advances. Going back and killing histories bad guys may not make the world a better place, it could make it worse.

Personally, I would like to go back to Roswell NM, and answer the question of what really did fall out of the sky. Weather balloon or E.T.

I would also like to meet Leonardo DaVinci.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    There was this one girl in college...

Real answer... Too many to decide. I would like to see Gettysburg as it happened and take a backpack full of our best antibiotics with me to save lives. I would like to see the burning of the USS Philadelphia in Tripoli harbor. I'd like to see a T-Rex. I'd like to see Nelson at the Nile and Trafalgar. I'd like to meet Abe Lincoln, JFK, Teddy Roosevelt, J. Ceasar, King David, Hannibal, all of the Greek philosophers, Archimedes, the Apostle Paul, Moses, Noah, and most of all Jesus.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I think I would visit Adam and Eve in the garden. It was a perfect world then.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I would sort of be a third wheel. Maybe a second woman?? In the meantime, I would kinda follow Eve around every time she went near that tree.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

all impssible of course

but as you see still a very interesting exercise in creative thought.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I'm going to be a little more altruistic, and try and do something that would help humanity. I think if I had one day, I would choose a day when Adolph Hitler was a very young boy, not to kill him, but kidnap him and bring him to another country, far away from Germany.
    What if "future" you already did that and that's the reason he did what he did. Young hitler was just trying to be a young artist and you kidnapped him, showed him the evils of the world and then he escaped and tried to take over the world. So really, it's your fault we had WWII.

I would go back and tell myself not to buy a house for another year.

For me, this is easy.

Feb. 4, 1992. USS Richmond K. Turner, CG-20, off the coast of GITMO for REFTRA. I would stop myself from going up the newly, and improperly installed ladder outside my radar room during the first general quarters drill. This ladder came apart with me and 2 other men on it. I went through it, landing with my legs across the hatch under it, one of the other men fell through the hatch bending my knees backwards and destroying my right knee to the point that amputation was considered.
    A medical discharge followed a year and a half later after 5 operations to put it all back together as best and they could. And I just went through another operation for another problem that is directly related to that accident.

All in all, I would rather not have gone through all this hell. I'd stop that from happening if I could go back.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Of all the things I could change, I would go back and view my daughter being born again. And change one thing. Emergency c-section. it was a bit overwhelming the first time. There was not a lot of looking and seeing, just a bunch of rapid look over here, look over there. "HAY, you have a camera, are you going to take a photo?" "ah, yea" then we have a lovely photo of 'I have no idea what this is'.

That is the one thing I would change.
    Last edited by tbrenke; November 23rd, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: SP
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    I think that by and large, and notwithstanding the present economic crisis, we live at a great time. Would I have studied something else in school? Sure. Would I have done some other things differently? Sure. However, I am aware that during my long life I have been lucky--
    I have never been without food, shelter, clothing, modern gadgets. I have had cutting edge medical care (too much sometimes to my detriment).

So, if I could go back to any time, anyplace, I think it would be Kentucky, or West Virginia, around 1820-30; live an outdoors life, and I'd bring an AR in case of Indian attack.

Only one day?
    I can't decide.
    I would only want to be an observer of what ever history was going on, not interested in changing anything.

To see the post flood (Noah) earth.
    The Parting of the Red Sea.
    To have lunch with Jesus and 5000 of my closest friends.
    To observe any of our country's battles for Independence, Civil War, WWII.
    Or just to see and roam the Colorado Rockies and prairie before they were discovered. (Gota have Indian repellent.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I'd go back in time to 1923, place bets on all games that I know the outcome of, buy a lot of machine guns (when they were legal to just buy out right), take out a few patents on microchips, guns plus medicines, go assasinate Hitler and Stalin, "create" the M14, MP5 and the G36 for the Military and introduce the Pushrod V-8 and Boxer engines to Detroit.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Buy a bit of Microsoft stock in the IPO in 1986
    Bought 20 shares, cost $600, still have it. Of course with all the splits I have now have about 5500 shares.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY
    I'm going to be a little more altruistic, and try and do something that would help humanity. I think if I had one day, I would choose a day when Adolph Hitler was a very young boy, not to kill him, but kidnap him and bring him to another country, far away from Germany.
    You'd have missed him. He spent his childhood in Austria.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would go back to 1979, convince Jimmy Carter that there should be no negating with the Iranians for the hostage release and convince him to destroy the Iranians if they do not release them. I believe that this was the first steps to that began the terrorist actions against our country.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member

Battle fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I would go back to 1979, convince Jimmy Carter that there should be no negating with the Iranians for the hostage release and convince him to destroy the Iranians if they do not release them. I believe that this was the first steps to that began the terrorist actions against our country.
    I agree with the sentiment and am NO fan of Jimmy C, but I think we lacked the option to destroy Iran. This all happened too too soon after our Viet Nam defeat and we (the national mood) was not in favor of another open ended military entanglement.

I put more blame on Reagan. His reaction to the Marine barracks bombing in Lebanon by Syria, also opened the gates to terrorism ---Hamas and Hezbahlah. While it is true that Iran sponsors them both, neither would have gotten strong if Lebanon had been protected from Syria.

So, using your reasoning, I'd pick the day before the Marine barracks bombing, and done it to Syria first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links