Time Travel Where To?

Time Travel Where To?

This is a discussion on Time Travel Where To? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A co-worked asked me this question the other day and it got me to thinking. Some of you might enjoy thinking about it as well. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel Where To?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Time Travel Where To?

A co-worked asked me this question the other day and it got me to thinking. Some of you might enjoy thinking about it as well.

If you could go back in time (from the beginning of the world till yesterday), for just one day, when and why would be your particular choice?

I’ve considered everything from seeing real dinosaurs in action to the grassy knoll. From a day with Christ to meeting myself as a child. (to warn about all those bad women of course LOL)

Still have not decided. Can you?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I'd go back to the day before a huge Powerball drawing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would go back and spank Eve's naked butt just before she picks the apple.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I would need to put some thought into this to figure out what was the biggest mistake I have ever made (like the time I turned down OCS because I, naively, believed that if it was available now, it would still be available later and after year as Enlisted I would make a much better Officer). I then would go back and make sure that I did not make that same mistake again.

Sometimes, on a quiet morning when the turkeys aren't gobbling, my mind tends to wander. I've thought not so muchabout going back myself, but bringing someone like Ben Franklin back to this age and see what he thinks of the Public Library system, the Post Office, and Fire Departments, and the current government just to see what he thinks.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Makes you wonder I really have no regrets on anything I have done (maybe a few) but 2 things come to mind. (1) 4 years ago my brother was hit by a run-a-way train. The train rolled out of the yard un-manned. He was crossing a set of tracks that did not require a set of gate crossings. He was in the hospital for 2 years and still can not walk so I would have stopped him from being there. (2) Would have been a bigger PITA on my fathers health. Would love to spend 1 extra day with him before pasing away.

If the OP would allow a sencond part to the question is if you could not hit the lottery or change your life whos life would you change? or Like to have met or meet?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd go back to the day before a huge Powerball drawing...
    I like that. Of course, it can be any day really. If you were able to go back in time you could figure out some stocks you could buy for pennies that are now worth billions. Buy a bit of Microsoft stock in the IPO in 1986 or Apple stock for $0.20 per share in 1982 (currently worth $83 per share...your investment would be multiplied by 415 not counting any splits that may have occurred). $100,000 invested would have turned into $41,500,000.

Better than waiting for years as the lottery pays you $10 per week for 1,000,000 weeks
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    I've thought not so much about going back myself, but bringing someone like Ben Franklin back to this age and see what he thinks of the Public Library system, the Post Office, and Fire Departments, and the current government just to see what he thinks.
    Thats a good one. I have thought what would Walt Disney say if he walked into his park and saw that they charge $75.00 for enterance into the park and $8.00 for a burger. I think he would catch a heart attack.

I'm going to be a little more altruistic, and try and do something that would help humanity. I think if I had one day, I would choose a day when Adolph Hitler was a very young boy, not to kill him, but kidnap him and bring him to another country, far away from Germany.

I don't know if someone else would have filled his void, but his "non-participation" in World War II would have saved countless millions of lives, and we would be seeing a very different world today.

If I had to pick a day on a more personal level, I would love to have had a chat with the following people: Moses, Christ, Mohammed and Buddha and Harpo Marx!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I do my best not to look back. I have no regrets. Most of the things that I am tempted to regret might alter too much of my life. I may never have met my wife, for example, if I didn't quit a job that later turned out to be a bad move financially. But it has turned out to be the best move I could have made because I met my wife at my next job...

When you start thinking about how things would really change it makes me worry.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Hmmmmm

Break up a date between Dunham and Obama Sr, sometime in November of '61?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I'm going to be a little more altruistic, and try and do something that would help humanity. I think if I had one day, I would choose a day when Adolph Hitler was a very young boy, not to kill him, but kidnap him and bring him to another country, far away from Germany.

I don't know if someone else would have filled his void, but his "non-participation" in World War II would have saved countless millions of lives, and we would be seeing a very different world today.
    You might want to kidnap a young Stalin also if you're going to do this. Without a re-energized Germany in the 1930s the Soviet Union probably would have rolled over Europe instead...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Break up a date between Dunham and Obama Sr, sometime in November of '61?
    Too funny.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    You might want to kidnap a young Stalin also if you're going to do this. Without a re-energized Germany in the 1930s the Soviet Union probably would have rolled over Europe instead...

Good point. But then I can name a lot of people to visit... Ghengis Khan, Alexander, Hirohito, etc.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Here is the paradox, you change just one little thing you may make things worse and you may not even exist to go back in time. There is no way to control the future outcome if you change anything. If you went far enough back and killed the right person (pre Sumer) non of the current religions would exist and there would be none of the problems we have now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links