New York Ironworks 2 Thumbs Down

This is a discussion on New York Ironworks 2 Thumbs Down within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently purchased a Galco Cop Slide holster for my P229. Upon inserting the pistol the slide would be pushed open to the extent that ...

Thread: New York Ironworks 2 Thumbs Down

I recently purchased a Galco Cop Slide holster for my P229. Upon inserting the pistol the slide would be pushed open to the extent that the pistol was inserted. Further, the pistol could not be inserted far enough to cover the trigger. This with the tension screw fully opened. I have never had a holster that did this.

I have the proverbial drawer full of holsters by now and have never had this happen. After trying to give the holster the benefit of the doubt several times and leaving the pistol holstered overnight, it still would not allow the weapon to be holstered without racking the slide. Further, it was almost impossible to holster, even using a thumb to hold the slide closed, to holster while wearing the holster.

I related this to New York Ironworks and after half a dozen emails and returning the holster for a refund, they claim I am only angling for a different holster because I "did not like" this one. I spent hours deciding to go with this holster. I wanted this holster. But I am not going to spend hours and days stretching the thing to make it work when all of my DeSantis' and Fobus and High Noon's work out of the box.

No one may agree with me but I expected better customer service. I have purchased from NYI before and everything went fine--but then I didn't get a product that failed to perform acceptably. AS I have told NYI, I have only complained to my credit card company twice in what...25 years. I am not a chronic complainer. I will be filing a dispute Monday morning.

NYI has seen the last of my business.
    I'm a fan of open carry--and one of these days I'm going to try that!

Any holster maker worth his salt...would have made sure that the holster fit his model before sending it to you.
    He would also stand behind his work...if it didn't fit your weapon...it wouldn't fit his model on a return check...guess he didn't care.

He would get no more business from me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    It is sad that business people don't realize that we are in an era where it is the service that makes or break a business.
    I wouldn't do business with them anymore either.
    Made a note of it ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Any holster maker worth his salt...would have made sure that the holster fit his model before sending it to you.
    He would also stand behind his work...if it didn't fit your weapon...it wouldn't fit his model on a return check...guess he didn't care.

He would get no more business from me.
    According to the OP, the holster was made by Galco and sold by NY Ironworks. It is possible the the holster was mislabeled or mispackaged.
    Neither is an excuse for poor customer service.

If I were the OP I would start by making sure the holster model number on the holster matches the number on Galco's websight. If it does, then I would bypass the middleman and talk directly to Galco. If they have a problem at the factory I'm sure they will want to know about it. I have dealt directly with Galco before and found them easy to deal with.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    According to the OP, the holster was made by Galco and sold by NY Ironworks. It is possible the the holster was mislabeled or mispackaged.
    Neither is an excuse for poor customer service.

If I were the OP I would start by making sure the holster model number on the holster matches the number on Galco's websight. If it does, then I would bypass the middleman and talk directly to Galco. If they have a problem at the factory I'm sure they will want to know about it. I have dealt directly with Galco before and found them easy to deal with.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Make that holster maker or holster provider...customer service is customer service...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Some of NYI's employees can be gruff...I guess that comes from being the primary "cop shop" and gunshop in Lower Manhattan (NYC) and where probably 99.9% of all NYPD members-of-service and a good number of Feds and other LEOs go to shop; I've gone there a few times when I worked just blocks away......this is no excuse by any means; they should not have given you, Lnd Svyr, a hard time.

There's lots of places that want your money and will treat you with respect. My favorite on-line places are Brownells, Midway USA, and Top Gun Supply.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sponsored Links