Hunting - Page 2

Hunting

This is a discussion on Hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I whacked a 10 point with my suppressed .300 Whisper. I built the gun and the suppressor and I wanted to see what it was ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

Senior Moderator
    I whacked a 10 point with my suppressed .300 Whisper. I built the gun and the suppressor and I wanted to see what it was capable of. It worked, dropping the deer right there, right now.

It was shot directly through the neck where it attaches to the head.Its a gory picture. If you dont like to see blood,and lots of it, then dont click on the link.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...00182_9418.jpg

The next morning my son got an 8 point from a different stand about 75 yards away. Both of these deer came from my land. This one has a very "high" rack, typical of the many deer that we see around here.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...08bucks025.jpg
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I've been thinking about learning to hunt. I need to sign up for the hunter's education class we have to take in TX, seems kind of dumb but I can see the point with all the knucklehead stories we have seen over the years.

Does anyone have tips for someone who has hunted nothing more than squirrel with a pellet gun (not a real challenge)?

I have thought of going hog hunting, I know some people who have them on their land and have offered free hunting for anyone who wants to kill the buggers.

I'll give you some advice on hog hunting. 1st, if you want to kill a big trophy boar and have it mounted, that's your business, but don't expect to enjoy eating it. The smell of the musk coming out of the meat when you cook it is unmistakable and just plain nasty IMO. (I know that lots of people are going to tell you different, but I will disagree with them to the death on this subject havng been there, done that, and tried every possible concoted method of getting the stink out of the meat) It helps to castrate them immediately and saok the meat, but chances are it will still be musky. Some people say they like it that way, but I have not actually witnessed them eating any myself so I think they are lying.

If you kill a nice young female or even an old sow, the meat is fine, and depending on what they are eating may be as good or better than store bought pork.

Hogs are easier to hunt than deer IMO. They are fun to stalk and it can be done rather easily if your careful. They have an extremely good sense of smell, so make sure you approach from downwind. They can hear pretty well too, so be quiet, but they can't hear as good as deer, so you have some room for error there. Their big weakness is that they cannot see very well, and as long as you are not moving when they are looking, (they can spot movement pretty well) you can stalk real close to them. I have stalked within 15 yards of a group wallowing in a mud hole. I was using cover, moving behind it, and was approaching from downwind. They also make a lot of noise themselves when rooting or wallowing, which helps cover any noise you make.

Make sure you hit the vitals, because if you don't they may not die for days and you won't find them without a dog. They are tough animals and can get away with suprising wounds. Although, I did miss the vitals once on one that was moving pretty quick. I shot just in front of the ham and below the spine.

Lucky for me I was shooting a 295gr JHP from my .50 cal muzzle loader, so the shock was enough to knock out his back end and put him down. I reloaded, approched and put another one behind his ear from a safe distance. That did the trick. The tenderloin on that hog was good, but the rest of the meat was musky and I fed it to my dogs. (before I hear complaints about not killing unless you eat it, this was a mangement hunt to control overpopulation. They were tearing up a lot of acreage on some public owned land and needed to be thinned out. Otherwise, I probably would not have even shot a boar. For the reasons above, I like to wait and shoot females only if I can.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    None I could find. It was a head on shot right to the chest area. I figure my 165 gr. 30--06 round probably didn't exit the body.
    Head-on shot meaning you shot right under the head, between the two legs? If you shot that way, meaning you would have the whole animal body to deal with, then I understand no hair or blood in tracking.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Modern gun season just closed yesterday here in Kentucky. I've been bow hunting since September but just had a couple of spikes and a 5 pointer come by. The last three years I've taken my bucks the first week of bow season (they were all in velvet) but had to pick up the rifle this year in November. Got a decent 8 pointer on the 9th. He was chasing this doe EVERYWHERE she went. Gotta love the rut! Used a 300 Winchester Magnum. Biggest whitetail I've ever taken was 4 years ago. He had 14 points. He grossed 159 1/8 and netted 149 1/8 B&C. What kind of monsters have you guys taken? Love to hear about them! Hunting is right up there with breathing if you ask me.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Moderator
    You shot a monster and dont have pics?

Post a picture!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

+1 Hotguns, post pics. LOL.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Forgot to post my pictures. My best deer and this year's buck.
    Attached Images
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Too funny guys! I was working on it. Love being on here with guys that are excited about this stuff as me!
    Allen

Senior Moderator
    Very Nice!

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Very Nice!
    What's that saying... "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile." ha!
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Forgot to post my pictures. My best deer and this year's buck.
    That is a gorgeous buck! Nice mounting job too. Is he an 11 or 12 point? Or am I completely miscounting there?

Just had surgery on my knee last week so I am sitting this season out. Man I want to go though, but it's better that I don't. I'd hate to twist this knee out in the middle of the woods.

Next year though....I'll be all better and I'll be out there too!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Not much to brag about, but here are a few.

Allenruger, that deer is awesome. I hope I can get one that is nice enough to mount someday.

I never have managed to get a real nice buck, of course I lived in Fl until last year, so that may explain why I have only killed small ones. My older little deer pics are film pics and I don't even know where hey are. Not worth showing anyway.

Here is the boar I shot with my muzzle loader. I've got a better pic of me holding his head up, but it's a film pic, not digital.

Here is a nice doe I shot last year. I took this pic the next morning when I was getting ready to skin her. She was laying in the truck bed all night and is frozen stiff. That's why her head is not hanging down. Looks wierd. I am very cold in this picture too.

I have posted this one before. This little guilt was some good eating. First hog, or anything really, that I ever took with my bow way back in 2002. Man, I was still using aluminum arrows back then.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    That is a gorgeous buck! Nice mounting job too. Is he an 11 or 12 point? Or am I completely miscounting there?
    Thanks for the kind words. He was a 14 pointer actually. There are two points that are a little over an inch long that you really can't see on that picture. One on his right brow tine and the other on his left G2. Hey, I counted them. ha! Shot him with my muzzleloader and when he went out of sight I prayed that I would find him. Come to find out he only went about 25 yards. You probably heard me scream. ha! So sorry about you not being able to get out this year. I feel your pain man. Think of it this way... you're just giving them another year to mature... that means next year will be that much better!

sgt D, love the pictures there... nice. I've only been hog hunting once and that was down in TN. It is fun isn't it? Gotta say I am really jealous about something. You live in Kansas! Oh, how I would love to hunt those huge deer out there. Yeah, we are really starting to get a lot of big bucks here due to our one buck limit we've had forever but I've drooled over way too many huge racks on The Outdoor channel that have come from your part of the country.
    Allen

Nice shots guys working graveyard shift tonight off tomorrow and heading out to stand keeping my fingures crossed !! will post pics if i get anything. Sgtd your bow looks like mine a pearson spoiler? Have you made the switch to carbon fiber arrows? im still using aluminum Easton xx75 2117 havent switched yet.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I don't know why people have so many problems bagging a deer. Last week I walked back up from the school bus stop at the end of the road and saw some in my front yard.
    You suck, I have been out five times and haven't got anything. Any advice on where to go? I've been to Milton and starskboro so far.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links