Hunting

This is a discussion on Hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I deer hunt standing in a mowed grass field wearing jeans, tee, and orange vest/hat carrying my 1911 and a Winchester Model 70 in .300WinMag ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I deer hunt standing in a mowed grass field wearing jeans, tee, and orange vest/hat carrying my 1911 and a Winchester Model 70 in .300WinMag or my Knight 50 cal during appropriate weeks.

I don't shoot bucks as I don't care anymore and would rather the kids that hunt our farm take them. And I usually pass up does unless I just have the urge to get my hands dirty.

On Sunday, a doe and nice 4x4 walked 15 yards from me and headed away from me and towards my neighbor and his nephew. I watched them in my scope until those guys took them both.

Tomorrow makes four years since I took this deer at 300 yards, which is really odd to have the opportunity for around here.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Agave, what a nice deer I can see why you got him mounted. Is it a 9 or 10 pointer and why is there a tag on the antler? I like mounts with ears alert and forward. What he weigh in at?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Sgtd your bow looks like mine a pearson spoiler? Have you made the switch to carbon fiber arrows? im still using aluminum Easton xx75 2117 havent switched yet.
    Let me start off by saying that I don't know a lot about bows. My bow is a Darton, but that's about as much as I know about it.

My ex-Brother-in law was really into 3D competition shooting and he had this bow all set up for that and for hunting too. He decided to get himself a newer, better bow and gave this bow to me for Christmas about 12 years ago I guess. At that time it was pretty top of the line I guess, but he wanted absolute top of the line.

I was using xx75 arrows with 125 gr broadheads when I shot that black hog. I would mess up a lot of arrowns practicing because the aluminum arrows bend so easily and stuff. Then I had two deer jump string and get away so i wanted to get something faster. I switched to Carbon Express 4560 arrows, with 100gr titanium broadheads. I have never had to replace one yet, since the shafts don't get bent like aluminum arrows.

I cranked the bow down all the way, I think it's 70# draw now but I'm not sure, it has a 65% let off so it's not too bad, but nothing like the newer suff. Anyway, it moves the arrow mighty fast now.

When I shot that doe from 25 yds she never even had time to flinch and the arrow passed through, double lung shot, and flew another 10 yds and stuck in the ground. The main artery going from the heart to the hindquarters was severed and she made about three running jumps, stopped and fell over. Only one drop of blood on the outside of the hide at the exit wound. If I had had to trail her, I wouldn't have found her, because she beld out internally and there was no blood trail at all. Not even a drop on the ground where she was laying.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    You suck, I have been out five times and haven't got anything. Any advice on where to go? I've been to Milton and starskboro so far.
    Fairfax and Georgia have quite a few places where the deer are plentiful. I know people that swear by places like Starksboro or the Northeast Kingdom.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Fairfax and Georgia have quite a few places where the deer are plentiful. I know people that swear by places like Starksboro or the Northeast Kingdom.
    Thanks. Maybe I will make it up to fairfax this weekend.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Agave, what a nice deer I can see why you got him mounted. Is it a 9 or 10 pointer and why is there a tag on the antler? I like mounts with ears alert and forward. What he weigh in at?
    It's a 4x5. That's the permanent kill tag. I left it on there sort of as a keepsake. I've thought about stapling it to the back of the board. It was 185 dressed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Hi All
    Out late last night had that little 4 pointer (EST) hang out at my stand for 30min let him go. then at the time for me to go in the fading light had 5 does come up on me but nothing in kill zone dang it ,oh well there will be monday..lol
    Good luck to all and happy thanksgiving. And SgtD hopefully ill be switching over to the Carbon fiber arrows this coming summer.
    See Ya.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links