Hunting

Hunting

This is a discussion on Hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi All Opened this thread because I have the dreaded Buck fever dont know if it is catching so beware!! Im hunting from stand this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

Hunting

Hi All
    Opened this thread because I have the dreaded Buck fever dont know if it is catching so beware!! Im hunting from stand this year with a Pearson bow , Rem 700 and my CVA 50 cal powder rifle.
    Using Real tree camo hope to be posting pics soon so far nothing but 2 does and a 4 point buck I have seen at my stand but ive let them go.. to small ,and a silver fox. Hope fully we can keep this thread going I know after dear season ive got a ..223 and 17hmr that are craving Coyote meat ..lol
    Good luck to All
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Well, I am going to try to get a deer with my 30-30 this year. I have never used it to kill one, because I was busy using bigger and better; or using other tools like muzzleloader and bow to do my hunting.

I hope to fill my tag during rifle season with the 30-30 this year. It has open sights and I have sighted it in with handloads at 100 yds. If I don't get a shot at a deer during rifle season then I'll have to switch to a bow for the extended season, which is what happened last year. I finally shot a doe with my bow during the extended antlerless season, becuase a good shot at a buck never presented itself during the short KS rifle season. Plus final exams are scheduled at the same time as rifle season which sucks big time. The doe was mighty tasty though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I had a good sized 6 pointer taunting me this morning...

I had followed that bugger all morning yesterday, down the ravine, across the stream, almost down to the river... and it just seemed he was always rooting around in the thickest brush. Between the brush and the distances involved I didn't think I could get a good shot. The only decent opportunity I had was when i was looking at the @r$3 end. I thought he was going to turn and give me a good shot, but right about time for me to let loose the arrows of war, a darned fox bolted out from nowhere and spooked him.

So I trodded home dejected and disappointed. This morning I go out to leave for work and that same darn buck was actually parked in my yard...laughing at me!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Season is winding down up north still a few weeks to go been at it since end of sept. Got a 5pt not a big deer but yiu take what ya can get then hunt for something better. It has gotten cold early hasn;t been out of the 30s in over a week.Suppose to get deer moving but sure slows me down. Friend Shot massive 10 pt fri biggest set of bone I have seen in a while, waiting on some pics . shot it on my watch but guy was so excited it was cool biggest deer he'?s ever seen.
    Good luck to ya all ? Hows the deer hunting around ft bragg, my son is stationed there
    The Democwats hate Consewvatives and want to Ewiminate ouw Fweedoms Dang Wabbits

Just so we all can be on same page. We must remember the differance between Eastern and Western count. Eastern count counts all points, western count counts points on side with most points. Example; a 5 point eastern = 2x3. A 5 point western has 5 points on one side. An eastern 5 point = a western 3 point. An eastern 4 point = a western 2 point or forked horn.

I have a 5 point (western count) or 10 point (eastern count) hanging next to my back door. The largest deer I have shot had a total of 11 points, 5x6, which I didn't keep (Iwas in high school and left it at a buddys house).
    In the Washington regs there are areas that the min points are 3, which means that at one side has to have at least 3 points.

I shot a 6 pointer last night and tracked him in the dark for well over 2 hours. Then again today for another 2 hours. I know the shot was good and he almost didn't have a front leg as he ran off, but I can't find the bugger!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    God Bless America!!

Shot a 8 pointer opening day rifle Ct. Love to hunt, still have a doe tag to fill. Get Buck fever every year, not much of a tree hunter, like to stalk and cover ground on the move. Hope you don't regret passing on the sure kills, done that and been skunked.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I don't know why people have so many problems bagging a deer. Last week I walked back up from the school bus stop at the end of the road and saw some in my front yard.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I shot a 6 pointer last night and tracked him in the dark for well over 2 hours. Then again today for another 2 hours. I know the shot was good and he almost didn't have a front leg as he ran off, but I can't find the bugger!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Get a dog . Mine will sniff out food where ever it's at ...and no matter who it belongs too
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've been thinking about learning to hunt. I need to sign up for the hunter's education class we have to take in TX, seems kind of dumb but I can see the point with all the knucklehead stories we have seen over the years.

Does anyone have tips for someone who has hunted nothing more than squirrel with a pellet gun (not a real challenge)?

I have thought of going hog hunting, I know some people who have them on their land and have offered free hunting for anyone who wants to kill the buggers.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Paco, the main thing for hunting deer, IMO, is to be as quiet as possible, and slow and smooth with any moves you have to make. That advice doesn't apply if you are doing a deer drive though. SgtD, my first deer was taken with a .30-30. Its a good deer round,probably taken the most deer in modern times.IIRC articles about caliber popularity for deer hunting.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Hi All
    Opened this thread because I have the dreaded Buck fever dont know if it is catching so beware!! Im hunting from stand this year with a Pearson bow , Rem 700 and my CVA 50 cal black powder rifle.
    My first time experiencing buck fever was using a .50 cal black powder rifle. I got to a right of way right before a waterfowl refuge right at daylight and a 10 or 12 pt. buck appeared and he was going into the refuge. I took a shot at around 65-70 yards and missed completely. I was 15 years old. I got the reload stuck, so I couldn't fire at the 2 does who came within 10 yards of me when I was looking for blood, hair, etc, where the buck was. What made it worse is that my dad finished the reload and had me shoot at a aluminum can at around 60-70 yards and I hit the can.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Lead Moderator
    I shot at a buck opening day up here. I am sure I hit it good , but could not find the deer . Dad and I spent 4 hours trying to track it in wet conditions. I am super pissed , because I know I took a good shot and my gun is sighted in .
    I imagine the deer is out there waiting for buzzards or coyotes to find.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rocky, any sign that you hit the deer? Blood? Hair?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Rocky, any sign that you hit the deer? Blood? Hair?
    None I could find. It was a head on shot right to the chest area. I figure my 165 gr. 30--06 round probably didn't exit the body.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links