Experts call for global network to prevent asteroid disasters

This is a discussion on Experts call for global network to prevent asteroid disasters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder if they will pass an AAB (assault asteroid ban). Experts call for global network to prevent asteroid disasters Between 500 and 1,000 massive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experts call for global network to prevent asteroid disasters

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I wonder if they will pass an AAB (assault asteroid ban).

Between 500 and 1,000 massive asteroids cross the Earth's path regularly and any one of them could cause a global catastrophe, space experts warned Tuesday, urging quick preventive measures.

Some 6,000 cosmic objects circulating around the planet are currently known to experts in the field, the Association of Space Explorers (ASE) told a press conference at the UN headquarters in Vienna, where it presented its report "Asteroid Threats: A Call for Global Response."

And of these, up to 1,000 had a diameter of 150 kilometres (93 miles) or more, meaning they could cause major damage to the Earth's surface, prompting fires, tsunamis and ensuing disasters like famine, it said.

The organisation includes some 320 members from 34 countries, all of whom have already been in space.

A research, information-sharing and defence network was thus urgently needed to coordinate a global response to the problem, under the leadership of the UN, it said.

Although it should be possible to predict a collision up to 15 years before it occurs, the technology needed to divert an incoming asteroid has yet to be developed and this will require international cooperation, they said.

The UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space is due to examine the report at its 2009 session on June 3-12 in Vienna.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

And these are smart people? They are labeled as "experts". Jeez I hate the press.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Well, maybe it'll put us out of our misery before global warming, er, cooling, or bad water, or cellophane, or pesticides, or carcinogens, or... or diet coke, or something else gets us.

Senior Moderator
    Since we cant get together on Earth, how in the heck are we supposed to do it in Space?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We watch and predict hurricanes....why not watch for and try to come up with something that could realistically kill us all in a heart beat? I have wondered why just the USA didn't do something like this for a long time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

...from the article.

The UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space is due to examine the report at its 2009 session on June 3-12 in Vienna.

Wow! I feel a lot better now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    They physics to calculate the path of these asteroids is a whole lot simpler than trying to predict any weather event. This is actually a serious problem. Large asteroids will strike the earth every few hundred thousand years. The last big one killed off the dinosaurs, and we're fortunate that it didn't kill off our species precursors. We don't have the technology at present to divert a large asteroid, and that could easily lead to the destruction of human life as we know it. One major reason for going to Mars and eventually establishing a colony is that there is a statistical certainty that the earth will be struck by an asteroid large enough to kill off all of mankind, and we increase the chance of our species survival by having humans on other planets. So don't blow it off, this could mean the future of humanity.

Quick preventive measures against 93mi asteroids? What could those be, besides grabbing a camera and hoping for the best?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We've averted disaster many times before.
    The Great Beyond: Asteroid not going to hit Earth
    Just something more for the US government to throw money and resources at. A big one would definitely change the earth forever, possibly even knocking it off course and plunging the world into chaos and possibly another ice age. Not to say that humanity is in need of a good cleansing, but an asteroid hitting earth was mentioned in The Book of Revelations as opening the abyss to hell and the final days of judgment.
    SPACE.com -- Asteroid Defense: NASA to Formulate Planetary Protection Plan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The government wastes tons of money all the time on things that are either completely worthless or actually have a big negative impact on what they are trying to help. They have already spent $7.8 trillion bailing out companies which should have failed due to their own bad business decisions, I think they can afford to spend a few million to build some telescopes to give us a heads up on a possible end of the human race.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    We don't have the technology at present to divert a large asteroid.........
    I thought that is why we have 50 caliber rifles....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

All we have to do is get Bruce Willis and his band of oil rig workers, throw them on a shuttle and let them go to work. Problem solved. Next.

VIP Member
    I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I figure the odds of winning the lottery, and getting hit by a falling airplane on the same day are more likely. Besides, Hollywood already made the movie. Natures sequel won't be near as good!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    All we have to do is get Bruce Willis and his band of oil rig workers, throw them on a shuttle and let them go to work. Problem solved. Next.
    Nailed it! Perfect solution to a simple problem.

Austin

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    This is starting to get serious. Now I am really worried.

The Sky is Falling
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links