Contaminated Food Kills at Least 76 Dogs

This is a discussion on Contaminated Food Kills at Least 76 Dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family Cares for Dog Ill From Pet Food Contaminated Food Has Killed at Least 76 Dogs Nationwide Cocoa must be force-fed with a syringe six ...

Thread: Contaminated Food Kills at Least 76 Dogs

Administrator

Contaminated Food Kills at Least 76 Dogs

Family Cares for Dog Ill From Pet Food
    Contaminated Food Has Killed at Least 76 Dogs Nationwide

Cocoa must be force-fed with a syringe six times a day since suffering permanent liver damage after eating contaminated dog food.

"I haven't had any time to do anything but take care of her," said Stewart, a 19-year-old nursing student at the University of South Carolina. "She's the No. 1 priority. ... I get maybe four hours of sleep before she wakes me up."

Through relocations from Army bases in Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington and now South Carolina, Cocoa has been a constant companion for Stewart, whose father is serving in Iraq.

When her own daughter died last year, Stewart said Cocoa helped her through her grief. "It was like she understood," Stewart said. "She was my best friend."

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods.

According to the company, the pet food was distributed to stores in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia and West Virginia.

Diamond officials say they are doing what they can to help affected pet owners.

"It's going to take some time to take care of all these customers, and we're going to do it," said the company's chief operating officer, Mark Brinkmann.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing, Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11, Brinkmann said Thursday.

The FDA and the South Carolina Department of Agriculture have launched investigations.

Stewart's other dog, a 2-year-old pit bull named Chulo, died last month just hours after being diagnosed with liver failure. It was only then that the family learned of the recall.

Stewart initially thought Cocoa had refused to eat because she was depressed about losing Chulo. After the recall, the family vet confirmed aflatoxin poisoning in Cocoa, Stewart said.

Steve Shrum, president of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians, said vets around the state were confused when puppies began showing signs of liver problems usually seen in older dogs.

"It takes such a small amount, and there's pretty much nothing you can do with the process that will inactivate that toxin once it gets in the food supply," he said.

Diamond has promised to reimburse pet owners for vet bills and other costs associated with the aflatoxin poisoning, which officials now believe may include pets in Europe and other areas outside the country where the food is distributed.

The company set up a call center staffed with veterinarians. The call volume peaked at about 2,000 calls a day last week, Brinkmann said.

Stewart says she has not spoken with anyone at the company despite several calls. The family has filled out an online form explaining their situation.

"You don't get anybody to talk to and tell your story," she said. "It's like they're not concerned. To me, it's like they're saying, 'Oh well, we'll get to it when we get to it."'

Brinkmann was sympathetic.

"We're going as fast as we can," he said. "I grieve with her, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure we can do right by her."

01-09-06 15:17 EST

Exact Brand Names Added by QKS...
    If you have any of these...either "chuck them out" or demand a refund from where you purchased it.
    Diamond Premium Adult Dog Food

Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food

Diamond Maintenance Dog Food

Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs

Diamond Performance Dog Food

Diamond Puppy Food

Diamond Low Fat Dog Food

Diamond Maintenance Cat Food

Diamond Professional Cat Food

Country Value Puppy

Country Value Adult Dog Food

Country Value High Energy Dog Food

Country Value Adult Cat Food

Professional Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Food

Professional Puppy Food

Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food

Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food

Professional Adult Cat Food
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    D@mn... that would suck.

I use a different brand, Pinnacle, a high-quality brand... I'm not familiar with the brand in question, but I suppose it could happen to anybody.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

That would really make me mad.. Some one be getting there butt whipped over that

VIP Member
    My co-worker was telling me about it this morning - he was not happy about it, considering it's that brand he feeds his Mini Pinscher, Jack Russell and Chihuahua. Luckily, his bag was not from the contaminated batch. Those pups are his kids.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

was having to check and see if cat food old lady fed cat was that had to have it put down last week.

Thanks for the heads-up! Ran this by the wife, who's a vet-tech, she said she'd heard about it, and the lady she works with who runs the Akita rescue was feeding that to her dogs. Luckily, she says it's pretty much isolated to the east coast. Not so good if you live east of the Mississippi, but at least it's not nationwide.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Assistant Administrator
    Last night one of our cats died - had been sick a while and I suspected leukaemia. Not even 2 yrs old.

Did tho make me go check with wife what we had been feeding them. We have been using Purina so - no link it'd seem.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links