All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report - Page 2

All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

This is a discussion on All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My father in law likes to hunt out of his truck. I hate that he does it. Half the fun in hunting is the idea ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

My father in law likes to hunt out of his truck. I hate that he does it. Half the fun in hunting is the idea of "fair chase"
    God Bless America!!

I am sure that he's not the only one doing that here in NYS you always here shots being fired after dark & after the closing of deer season, folks are always shooting coyotes after dark that are going after their live stock etc

Here in Virginia, the game dept. sometimes uses a mechanical deer to catch poachers. They will set it up in a field which can be seen from a rural road and hide to wait until someone tries to spotlight it. As for people going hungry, we have a program here called "Hunters For The Hungry. Our bag limits are very liberal, allowing two antlered deer and basically for as many anterless deer as you are willing to purchase tags. Not everyone wants or needs all of the meat so there are refrigerated trailers set up where meat can be dropped off to be processed for the program. Here is a link to the Virginia program.

Hunters For The Hungry

An investigation into a report of shots being fired after dark led state Department of Environmental Conservation police to a suspected deerjacker, the agency said Wednesday.
    no kidding...this is the first time I've heard this term...is this a made-up word by the reporter who doesn't know what a poacher is?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    a poacher can be after anything

a deerjacker goes after deer with a spotlight.

we use that term here too
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We use the term too, deer are Jacked after dark with light, sometimes done with headlights but mostly done with spotlight. Illegally taking deer during the day would be considered poaching.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

A hunter is not a poacher, and a poacher is not a hunter. A poacher is a criminal stealing a resource that belongs to us all. A hunter is a tool in the management of that resource and also the source of the funding for that management.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    A hunter is not a poacher, and a poacher is not a hunter. A poacher is a criminal stealing a resource that belongs to us all. A hunter is a tool in the management of that resource and also the source of the funding for that management.
    I'm not sure how to respond to this and keep it civil. No single resource belongs to us all that a "poacher" can steal. I don't own the deer, you don't own the deer, and neither does bob the neighbor on the corner. As for hunters being tools, that's a selective tool, not all together inclusive. It just happens to work out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned throw the book at him. They should hit him with a lifetime hunting ban, confiscate his truck as well as his gun.
    If you can't guess I have no sympathy for a game poacher.
    I'm not sure where to begin on this thread. I'm going to try to keep it civil, but gosh darn it, it's going to be hard. Remind me again, what he did that was so terrible? Oh right, he shot 5 deer and butchered them up without paying the government a toll.
    Please sir, may I live my life by your leave?
    So we've already established in the original article that he wasn't "hunting" just to take antlers or individual parts and resell them. He's actually hunting for FOOD.
    • Any chance he just can't afford to feed his family on the government inflated prices at the grocery store?
    • Any chance that between the licence, extra tags, etc he just didn't see any point in hunting for food because it costs just as much by the time the government is done robbing you?
    • Any chance it doesn't matter his reasons?

You're all in favor of the Constitution and I dare say the Declaration of Independence, right? Most of you here fight tooth and nail to keep SOME of those "rights" that were merely pointed out, but are willing to let others fall by the wayside.

So what exactly is wrong with someone "taking" deer "illegally"? Did the government create the deer? Probably not. The deer existed long before the government. Does the government own the deer? No, refer to the previous answer. Do deer have evil black appendages that can kill an entire community by looking at it wrong? Again, probably not.

Let me ask this. If we supposedly believe in the right to life, but we allow a group of persons collectively known as the government to effectively outlaw an individuals perfectly good method of putting food on their table, have we not also violated that persons right to life?
    Last edited by JD; November 30th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

community service! put him in a deer costume to assist Wildlife officials catching poachers (deerjackers)..jeeze, that sounds like a profession at a deer breeders farm..
    "Brains before Bullets"

My thoughts exactly Packinnova. No one owns those resources, they are for us all. The only part is that if he uses, takes that resource, then I no longer have the opportunity to hunt the deer he shoots. But if his family is hungary, then by all means shoot more deer. I just got back from delivering venison to a family where the father is ill with cancer and cannot work.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    If he's feeding his family he's not going to be going out and trying to stock a years worth of meat in a few days, he's going to go out and kill it as needed. It's not like vegetables and fruit that has a limited season. The deer are going to be there year around.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Poacher \Poach"er\, n.
    1. One who poaches; one who kills or catches game or fish
    contrary to law.

I stand by what I said earlier, the man is a poacher and deserves whatever punishment is given out. Times may be becoming more difficult, but he knowingly broke the law.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If he's feeding his family he's not going to be going out and trying to stock a years worth of meat in a few days, he's going to go out and kill it as needed. It's not like vegetables and fruit that has a limited season. The deer are going to be there year around.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Poacher \Poach"er\, n.
    1. One who poaches; one who kills or catches game or fish
    contrary to law.

I stand by what I said earlier, the man is a poacher and deserves whatever punishment is given out. Times may be becoming more difficult, but he knowingly broke the law.
    Ever tried dressing a deer in spring or summer? The meat will spoil before you even get it home.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Nope, never poached one so never had to worry about field dressing them in the spring or summer. I have field dressed them in the Oklahoma fall, temperature in the 80's. Just gutted and packed ice inside until I got them to where I could finish dressing them out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lets see where to begin.

He apparently was hunting on someone else's property (Lundy Estate), after dark, very dangerous, look at the number of hunting accidents that happen early in the a.m. or late in the p.m. from mistaken game or stray bullets. Not tagging deer properly, hunting without a license.

So lets just start with the first stuff. Anyone that doesn't think this is a big deal want to let someone you don't know onto your property shooting stuff well after dark please raise your hand or speak up.

Anyone that doesn't think following regulations is a good idea, regardless of whether they are for hunting, driving, carrying firearms, or anything else that can jeapordize your neighbors lives please say so.

Cost. Well it looks like a small and big game license is $19. Hmm. That seems very reasonable to me. Hunting and fishing both is only $39. That doesn't seem like too much to ask to support the DOEC.

About the only other thing I can say is he is pretty lucky that he lives in NY. In Texas he would be up a creek without a paddle about right now. I never thought I would be saying this, but if your a poacher I guess NY is better than Texas. Of course for us regular folks Texas has it beat hands down.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You've never heard of hog killing season...because it is cold out...natures way...? the way it was...

Where I am a Hunting license is $24(for Deer) + cost of 'type' of license(bow/firearm/muzzleloader $15+ per season )+ bonus anterless cost ($24) + gas + ammo .

So, shooting for the cost of hunting ones own deer, that "we all pay for, on our public land" is far more expensive than the cost of beef in the market. So, if you, given the alledged circumstances are poor, where would you stand, where would any of us stand?

I know I would be shooting for meat...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links