All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

This is a discussion on All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is in my neck of the woods: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:06 AM EST WAWARSING ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Kinds of Hunters: Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

This is in my neck of the woods:

Man accused of taking illegal deer after shots-fired report

Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:06 AM EST

WAWARSING — An investigation into a report of shots being fired after dark led state Department of Environmental Conservation police to a suspected deerjacker, the agency said Wednesday.

At about 9:30 p.m. Monday, authorities received a report of shots being fired and a deer down in a field at the Lundy Estate property.

Acting on that tip and a license plate number, authorities on Tuesday went to the Sundown Road, Kerhonkson, home of Wayne Steinhilber Jr., where they discovered five deer hanging in different stages of being butchered. None of the deer had tags, authorities said.

When Steinhilber, 30, arrived at his home, authorities said, he was in possession of a spotlight and loaded .30-.30 rifle.

He was arrested by Department of Environmental Conservation police and charged with two counts of taking a white-tailed deer that did not comply with the antler restriction of at least three points on one side; two counts of taking an antlerless deer without a license; and possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, all misdemeanors, as well as possession of an untagged deer, a violation.

Steinhilber was released in his own recognizance to return to court on Dec. 10.

The deer were confiscated and will be donated, authorities said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sounds to me like the accused is not a hunter, but instead should be described as a poacher (one who takes game illegally).

Responsible hunters know and obey game laws.

Deerjacking, now that's a new one...

Ouch, that guy is about to see how expensive venison can be...

$$
    $$
    $$
    $$
    +
    ----

I could see one...but five? He's not just feeding his family!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've seen some of those 'when animals attack' videos. Maybe the old boy was defending himself?

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like he got off light.

Had it happened here, we would have been minus his truck,everything in it and his gun.He wouldnt be released either.He'd be waiting on the Judge.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This guy is what I call a slob hunter. He will most likely pay a hefty fine and lose his big game hunting privilege in that state for a few years. People who have no respect for game laws should not be permitted to hunt or fish.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Bad apples where ever you go, stealing from the honest hunters. One thing to take one to feed a hungry family but he got greedy and busted. I know I wouldn't want to mess with EPO's in my neck of the woods. Watch poaching will be on the increase as times get tight.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Bad apples where ever you go, stealing from the honest hunters. One thing to take one to feed a hungry family but he got greedy and busted. I know I wouldn't want to mess with EPO's in my neck of the woods. Watch poaching will be on the increase as times get tight.
    Poaching is on the rise here in Kentucky already because of tough times. Asked the game warden about two weeks ago if he had noticed an increase in it. He said he sure had and that people said they needed the meat and just didn't have the money for the license and permit. Hey, I know that might be a terrible excuse to use but I think we all know people that simply don't have ANY extra money at the moment and are barely making it. No one loves to hunt anymore than me but if a deer will keep a child from going to bed hungry than so be it, you know? Kind of torn on this subject a little bit. My sister is a kindergarten teacher and I hear about kids going hungry on the weekends because they depend on the free lunches they get at school for their food. Some kids have been caught stealing food and when asked why they did it they say because they are hungry at night. Boy, that pulls at my heart strings. Anyway, no this guy did not need FIVE deer. Sounds like he's getting off very easy to me.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

happens regularly in near my home somtimes in my property, except the weapon of choice is a bow and a spotlight.

we had one guy whom we caught red handed(literally) he got a minimal fine and his hunting licensce revoked for somthing like 10 years.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Rcher got it right the guy is a SLOB HUNTER

North Dakota you would lose alot more than that, including the rifle and the spotlight (a HUGE no no here and I'm sure most places) and a fine way more that I could afford.

We have a program here that I think is called 'Sportsman ending hunger" where you hunt deer and donate it then they butcher it for families who are less fortunate, but the liberals have put the kai-baash on it because people could get sick from the 'lead poisioning' that caused said deer to die in the first place. They have something to whine about even when you are doing a good thing.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Perhaps it is time to investigate local eaterys to see if they are serving venison.
    Maybe he is feeding all the street people.

I wonder how many familys this year are not going to have their free Thanksgiving diner in that area this year. He probably has been doing this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sounds like he got off light.

Had it happened here, we would have been minus his truck,everything in it and his gun.He wouldnt be released either.He'd be waiting on the Judge.
    He hasn't been to court yet...and I don't think he getting away cheaply. OMO

Can't they still get his stuff?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Yes. They'll seize it all and hold it till it goes to trial. If you're found guilty, you lose your stuff and they sell in the next auction. Gun,truck,4 wheeler, everything.

If you are found innocent, you get it all back.

It happens all the time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    As far as I'm concerned throw the book at him. They should hit him with a lifetime hunting ban, confiscate his truck as well as his gun.
    If you can't guess I have no sympathy for a game poacher.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links