CERT, no not the breathmint.

This is a discussion on CERT, no not the breathmint. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone here heard of or participated in CERT training??? This stands for Civilian Emergency Response Team. It's basically established as a back-up group of ...

Thread: CERT, no not the breathmint.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

CERT, no not the breathmint.

Has anyone here heard of or participated in CERT training???

This stands for Civilian Emergency Response Team. It's basically established as a back-up group of people that will assist FD and PD in rescue/recovery operations following huge disasters (earthquakes, fires, floods, hurricanes, etc.)

Once you finish the training (2 days), you get this nifty backpack filled with goodies. (hardhat, reflective vest, tools, first aid kits)

I'm just curious if any of you guys have heard of it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Heard of it in my county jar - but beyond that am somewhat uninformed I admit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    It's basically stuff that most of us already know. They do a little first aid, and try to teach a little common sense.

The only thing I really "learned" was basic recovery/rescue stuff.

It's good stuff for the average, uneducated civilian. Most people haven't even had any type of first aid training.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

havent Heard of it around here

Administrator
    Sounds like a worthwhile program.
    The more people (general population) walking around "out there" with some form of even rudimentary basic skills...the better off we'll all be as a country.

Here's a great CERT resource link

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/CERT/new_CERT/
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    it seems like a good idea, but part of me can't help but believe that the entire community would be better off and so would most individuals if they would get actively involved in either a rescue squad or fire department. Joining either of these two organizations offers a couple of advantages. 1) you get more chances to practice what you know, so it stays fresh with you. and 2) you end up with a more advanced knowledge. 3) you end up doing more to help the community.

Just my 0.02. I think CERT teams are not a bad idea, but as a volunteer I see them as being a drain on volunteers for response agencies. Sorry if I offended anyone.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I understand your position, firefighter, having a little over 8000 duty hours behind me as an EMT. We always need more volunteers. I think CERT fills an important gap - those who want to help their community in times of need, but who can't or don't want to pull regular duty and the levels of certification required to become an EMT, Firefighter, or Auxilliary Officer.

[cynic]As far as chasing off volunteers, I think it depends on where you live and how the volunteer systems are integrated with the paid services. Increases in the minimum certification levels required for volunteer EMT's to meet the standards established for the paid services have driven off far more potential volunteers than CERT. I expect similar things can be said for the fire service. These barriers to entry drive away potential volunteers and ensure that the paid services that bill have no competition from the unpaid volunteers who don't charge for their services. And while the government bureaucrats wrap themselves in a cloak of concern for patient care, the bottom line is money.[/cynic]

CERT is just getting off the ground, here. More CERT teams would have been helpful in the aftermath of Isabelle.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I have done the CERT training. I am also a former firefighter, EMT, EMT-P and hazmat training lieutenant. I did all this on a volunteer basis many years ago. In my upscale suburban area, volunteer firefighters/EMS are a vanishing breed, primarily because everyone works during the day, and no one wants to take call or stay at the firehouse at night. Most of the remaining volunteers in this area are trying to rack up experience hours so their application for a paid department looks better.

Regards,

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Links