Police chief accidentally shoots himself in the leg

This is a discussion on Police chief accidentally shoots himself in the leg within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MONROE Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber is recovering from a gunshot wound he suffered Friday, Nov. 28, at his residence on Todhunter Road. Monroe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MONROE Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber is recovering from a gunshot wound he suffered Friday, Nov. 28, at his residence on Todhunter Road.

Monroe police were called to the Schwarber residence at about 1:25 p.m. on a report of an accidental discharge of a gun, said Sgt. Tom Cobaugh.

Schwarber, 54, was shot in the leg while cleaning a Glock .45 caliber pistol just minutes after giving his daughter a gun safety lesson.

When officers arrived at the residence, they found Schwarber lying on the floor of his house with his leg covered by a towel. The pistol, which was behind Schwarber, was retrieved and secured.

According to the Monroe police report, "Mr. Schwarber stated that he was out teaching his daughter gun safety and shooting techniques. When they returned home, Mr. Schwarber was preparing to clean his weapons, when he failed to realize that his pistol was still loaded and accidentally shot himself in the leg."

The bullet entered his inner left thigh just above he knee and exited the other side before lodging itself in the wall, according to the report. The chief was transported to Atrium Medical Center for treatment.

No further information was immediately available.
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength and strength alone!--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Senior Moderator
    You know thats gotta hurt.

Not to mention it's embarassing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Agh, another shot while cleaning. Dang it really isn't that friggin hard to drop the mag and pull the slide back FIRST, and then clear the iring pin and disassemble.

I mean daaaang, come on people!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

At home? Is the group medical going to go up for the department and the taxpayer? If I get hurt at home, my personal medical coverage will be in force....not workman's comp. I'd be interested in knowing where the benefits would be coming from in this case............as a taxpayer of course.

How many times does this need to happen before everyone realizes that you can not clean a loaded gun.

And this is the police chief. What a moron.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I haven't been keeping track but how many of these "shot while cleaning gun"
    stories have been Glocks. The Idea of having to pull the trigger before dismanteling the gun has always bothered me. What happened to the rule of make sure it is empty before cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I haven't been keeping track but how many of these "shot while cleaning gun"
    stories have been Glocks. The Idea of having to pull the trigger before dismanteling the gun has always bothered me. What happened to the rule of make sure it is empty before cleaning.
    That is one of the main reasons I have stayed away from them. It is still no excuse though. You should always check, double check, and triple check that the firearm is unloaded. I don't think any of these ND's can really be blamed on the gun.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    I don't think any of these ND's can really be blamed on the gun.

Thats is why they are called "Negligent Discharges".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    At home? Is the group medical going to go up for the department and the taxpayer? If I get hurt at home, my personal medical coverage will be in force....not workman's comp. I'd be interested in knowing where the benefits would be coming from in this case............as a taxpayer of course.
    If he's Chief, he is always on duty.

SO this seems to be a running problem with Glock owners? Rule #1 isn't in effect for them?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

The bullet entered his inner left thigh just above he knee and exited the other side before lodging itself in the wall, according to the report.

im trying to imagine what position he was in for this to happen,not sitting down i don't believe.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Storm,

If he is right handed and is operating the slide with his left hand right in front of him with the barrel pointed down, he could easily be sitting down and have it hit the inside of his left leg. Basically looking at the left side of the gun so he can see when the slide is in the right spot to pull down on the take down mechanism.

But hey, anything is possible with folks that aren't paying attention.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Just 4 Firearms Safety Rules to remember, if he had only remembered number one this might not have happened!

1. ALL guns are always loaded.
    2. NEVER let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. ALWAYS be sure of your target.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Storm,

If he is right handed and is operating the slide with his left hand right in front of him with the barrel pointed down, he could easily be sitting down and have it hit the inside of his left leg. Basically looking at the left side of the gun so he can see when the slide is in the right spot to pull down on the take down mechanism.

But hey, anything is possible with folks that aren't paying attention.
    i know,but they said the bullet hit the wall,gun pointing down should not hit wall.
    The bullet entered his inner left thigh just above he knee and exited the other side before lodging itself in the wall,
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Maybe he was sitting right next to the wall. Your knee level shouldn't be any higher or lower when sitting than it is when standing, well at least not more than a few of inches.

Of course regardless of whether he was sitting or standing, he is still a moron.

Oh wait I just had a brainstorm, maybe he was using the inside of his leg to push the slide back that 1/2 inch to work the take down.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Is there anyone that does this sort of thing twice?
    If not than it means they are capable of learning proper gun handling habits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links