Not quite sure how to handle this one?

This is a discussion on Not quite sure how to handle this one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My mother (63 with limited mobility and recently widowed) lives in a 6 family house. The tennants in the apartment next door are barely in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not quite sure how to handle this one?

My mother (63 with limited mobility and recently widowed) lives in a 6 family house. The tennants in the apartment next door are barely in their 20's. I remember being that age and enjoying the weekends beer and friends. Now here is the issue: they have NO respect for anyone. They are very loud from Friday night until early Saturday morningand then repeat on Sat night. I have had the thought of going over to talk to them and explain the problem and ask that they respect the other tennants. The problems in order are 1) if I go over there armed and things go badly, I am the instigator and brought a firearm 2) if I go over there and things go badly and I am not armed, I am the patient. What am I to do? 1 on 1,ok 2 on 1, sucks, but ok; 3 on 1 please call me an ambulance.

First a call to the landlord...if he can't handle it, advise him that the PD is next.
    Is moving a possibility?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Step 1: Talk to management and see if there is a complaint process in place.
    Step 2: Dependent on the results from prior step, file complaint
    Step 3: Call police

20 year olds don't typically listen well, and your Mom could easily be targeted. Try to do it on the QT., or move her.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Yes I am buying a 2 family house for me and my Mom. Problem with calling the PD is someone giving my mother a hard time after they leave (then I have no options). The landlord is an absentee landlord and only cares about the rent. This is a horrible catch 22.
    Last edited by major99; November 29th, 2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more info

Carry your gun and try not to be provocative. If you are that afraid of them then call the cops on them for disturbing the peace instead.

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    Carry your gun and try not to be provocative. If you are that afraid of them then call the cops on them for disturbing the peace instead.
    I am not afraid of them, I am more concerned about the repercussions to my Mom.

I would first give them a call on the phone to see how receptive they are to keeping it a little quieter. If that doesn't work talk to the landlord.

I live out in the country and there is only one neighbor that gives the neighborhood trouble. They live across the field behind my house. Sometimes they get loud during the night partying, shooting off fireworks as well as firearms and blasting loud music. The last time they were loud throughout the night I got up bout 8am in the morning, started up my racing quad and took a nice long ride around my property several times. My property goes within 50 ft of their bedroom windows. I waited until 8am because all my neighbors are up by then anyway. I did this about every 45 minutes. Let me tell you that with a racing exhaust it is EXTREMELY loud too. I haven't heard any all night noises since.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If you go, take a friend, maybe 2. Big guys who smile a lot but don't talk much.

Advise the landlord that you are withholding rent until the problem is resolved. That may pique his interest in the matter.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If you go, take a friend, maybe 2. Big guys who smile a lot but don't talk much.

Advise the landlord that you are withholding rent until the problem is resolved. That may pique his interest in the matter.
    I would be very careful about withholding the rent until the matter is resolved. This will negate many rights your mom may have in your state and may actually be a crime since you told the landlord that you were withholding the rent.

At this point your best course is probably deal with it until you get her into the two family house. If you have a landlord that doesn't care, and are afraid to call the police, then that seems your only legal option.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Are they kids who are out of the nest for the first time or are these yahoo's just punk/thugs who'd find retribution for even confronting them?

Talking to them armed or not isn't (or shouldn't) an issue.....but if the thought of escalation is there this tells me they're of the punk/thug varity of people.

Pertty good advice given so far.....face-to-face (maybe
    ), then landloard, then police. I'd also advise that whatever course of action you take, document it.....write down everything said, who you talked to, whether phone or face-to-face......and the time and place you talked to whoever, and the outcome.

Your right, this is a sticky, catch-22 situation.....but people should have respect for thier elders and show as much.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

With the punks like they are today I would and have called the law in this type of instance. The landlord is useless at best and possibly sharing with the loud neighbor who complained. Talking to them leaves no doubt who is complaining. Call the law and ask not to be contacted by the LEO who comes to the scene due to your concern for retribution.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As a former LEO allow me to make a suggestion. Tell your mother to call you next time this is happening. When she does, you call the police and tell them that you were driving/walking by the place and heard a fight or domestic disturbance in progress, you also heard a loud noise like a gun shot. Advise the dispatcher you want to remain anonymous.
    When the police respond, believe me the noise makers will be dealt with properly. If it happens again, use a different variation such as, a fight in progress
    and a woman being severely beaten....
    Keep remaining anonymous and never mention your mother. Always use the old " I happened to be driving/walking by and............"
    One thing cops hate is having to respond to the same location repeatedly. After the third or fourth call, they will start arresting the partyers.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

don't LEO's also not like "prank" or incorrect info from an anoymous "I happened to be walking/driving by and..."
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Another thing I should have mentioned is never call on the 911 line, it will trace the call. Always use the non emergency number. If possible, call from a cell phone.
    Edge of Darkness

From my experience.......

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    don't LEO's also not like "prank" or incorrect info from an anoymous "I happened to be walking/driving by and..."
    In 21 years I handled plenty of calls coming from anonymous sources. The police know most people don't want to get involved.
    If a party is in progress that is bordering on a riot, it is hardly a prank or incorrect call. Also theres no telling what they might stumble across, minors in possession of alcohol, drug transactions, etc. Many major crimes have been solved by a call involving what appeared to be a minor infraction.
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links