Bad: Wounded deer attacks hunter who shot him

This is a discussion on Bad: Wounded deer attacks hunter who shot him within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wounded deer attacks hunter who shot him SEDALIA, Mo. A Sedalia hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Wounded deer attacks hunter who shot him

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Wounded deer attacks hunter who shot him

SEDALIA, Mo. A Sedalia hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain.

Forty-nine-year-old Randy Goodman said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.

The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots.

Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood.

So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.
    I wonder if that buck read DC.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Wow, that must have been scary. I wonder if the deer was taking lesson from his friend the 'possum.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

TOF
    It sounds like the Sedalia hunter needs a lesson or two in marksmanship. I have killed numerous Deer and Elk through the years and none have been able to rise after the first shot, much less a second.

There is an old but often true statement that goes: 1 shot possibly 2 shots maybe 3 shots BS.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

In hunter ed we instruct students to always _VERIFY_ your kill has expired and to approach with caution. Animals do play possum and can also be knocked out of consciousness for a moment only to 'wake up'.
    With the tip of ones barrel, or an arrow if bow hunting, touch the animals eye with an out stretched arm from a distance. If alive it will move. If it does not move then it's a safe bet to have expired.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well-placed shots make the animal immediately dead.
    And sometimes they don't.
    Always make sure.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

VIP Member
    When hunting I never approached a downed animal from behind, I'd circle so I could come in from the front, thus being able to see it's head and eyes. I made sure my gun, whether it be modern cartridge, or muzzle loader was ready for another shot. Same with a bow, arrow nocked and release on the string. Once I was close enough I'd give it a prod to make sure it was down for good. If any doubt in my mind, I'd give it another well placed shot. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have never and probably will never be a hunter.

But somehow I can't side with the deer on this.

Hope the guy mends OK.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Reminds me of that joke.. calling in the emergency after a hunting accident, 911 operator:"make sure he's dead"...hears "Blam, Blam"
    hunter: "Okay, what next?"

Always assume your quarry is not dead when you approach.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

^^^ +1

Even if I know I made a "perfect" shot, I always still approach with my Super Redhawk out and ready.

I bet he gut-shot it twice and it finally bled out. The last two shots just knocked it over.

I love threads like this, and my response to the rabid antis usually is; If you eat meat we are the same, you kill by creating market demand for the meat. But I choose to enjoy the time honored method of harvesting and processing my own protein.
    I am therefore not a hypocrite, and am willing to do my own killing, not something I take lightly, but something I am grateful to experience. This year one with the bow and one with the .308. Thank you for the meat Jesus!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post
    I love threads like this, and my response to the rabid antis usually is; If you eat meat we are the same, you kill by creating market demand for the meat. But I choose to enjoy the time honored method of harvesting and processing my own protein.
    I am therefore not a hypocrite, and am willing to do my own killing, not something I take lightly, but something I am grateful to experience. This year one with the bow and one with the .308. Thank you for the meat Jesus!

+1

I'm not a hunter, although I used to hunt when I was a kid. I just couldn't bring myself to kill a deer or other animal without necessity. I know that because I buy my meat at the store I'm a hypocrite, but I'm Ok with it. I have nothing against hunters at all and love getting venison from friends. As long as they kill it for me.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Well stated and understood Mr. Morintp. Hunting is a paradox for me where I feel thankful for the gift, and still there is a sadness for the sacrifice made. Antis who eat meat should visit a slaughterhouse once to give hunting a proper perspective... (Never seen a cow commit suicide, not yet anyhow)
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I haven't hunted in years. Back during those years, I never had an animal rise up, nor has anyone I know...not in MI or AK.
    They are called 'animals in the wild'...it's not a petting zoo.

Stay armed...use caution...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Two well-placed shots?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Well maybe the place he shot the deer wasn't where he was supposed to place the well placed shots.

I am definately not anti hunting, but this guy deserved what he got. I guarrantee you he will either become a better shot or use more caution when approaching game that has been recently shot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links