UK bans fire extinguishers

This is a discussion on UK bans fire extinguishers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm speechless! Extinguishers banned as a fire safety hazard | Metro.co.uk...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    It must be fun to be treated like an incompetent idiot every day.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The "logic" escapes me! Doh!

".....because it encourages untrained people to fight fires rather than leave the building."

To live where you have zero trust from your goverment......at all.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

OK, maybe they should take cars away from them because they might not stop at red lights....
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

To get out of a burning building? I think they are mostly used to keep a small fire from turning into a raging inferno that could could cause real damage to both property and life.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

or lawn mowers because they might put their hands in it

OH The Brits are not too far from regulating themselves right out of existence! Now they can't have fire extinguishers! Can't be too long before they are all burned up.

Man this is priceless. What a bunch of Nancy boys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

That little book which the NRA was (is still?) giving away quotes Thos Jefferson's translation of 18th Century Italian criminologist, Cesare Beccaria:

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience: that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." (The Essential Second Amendment Guide, pp. 17f.)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    To get out of a burning building? I think they are mostly used to keep a small fire from turning into a raging inferno that could could cause real damage to both property and life.
    Not always true at all, I've been in the business 30 years, probably seen 5 times that and extinguisher was used properly and made a difference. I can count many more times I have crawled over 5 or 6 spent extinguishers in a situation that was later established that while they used the extinguishers, they did not call the fire department...and by the way, us crawling over the extinguishers typically means it is now way past real damage.

having said that, I do not particularly agree with it, but there is plenty of logic behind it.

There is plenty of documentation and testing that many, many people fail to use a fire extinguisher properly, even folks who think they would know how. Kind of the same thing we talk about using a gun under pressure without practice. When you are faced with your kitchen on fire, the pressure is on, full force. After all, in this group how many of you have used or trained with a fire extinguisher in the last 2 years.

There is also plenty of documentation that people often get killed while miscalculating how effective there efforts to extinguish a fire will be.
    I carry a gun for the same reason I own a smoke detector...I never, ever, plan on needing them...but if I do need them, and have them in a box...I won't be able to get to them for use fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Man this is priceless. What a bunch of Nancy boys.
    My wife resembles that, LOL. She can out shoot most men

Well... if the place is on fire, maybe they did not known how to use matches either.... LOL.

What's this world doing ??

every escape route should be completely fireproof.
    The key word is Should. Did they tell the fire that?

Maybe people was pulling the pin and throwing it into the fire thinking it would go off?

I work for a very large company in AZ and the official policy is that nobody is allowed to use the fire extinguishers except for the trained safety people. The rest of us have to evacuate.

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    Not always true at all, I've been in the business 30 years, probably seen 5 times that and extinguisher was used properly and made a difference. I can count many more times I have crawled over 5 or 6 spent extinguishers in a situation that was later established that while they used the extinguishers, they did not call the fire department...and by the way, us crawling over the extinguishers typically means it is now way past real damage.

having said that, I do not particularly agree with it, but there is plenty of logic behind it.

There is plenty of documentation and testing that many, many people fail to use a fire extinguisher properly, even folks who think they would know how. Kind of the same thing we talk about using a gun under pressure without practice. When you are faced with your kitchen on fire, the pressure is on, full force. After all, in this group how many of you have used or trained with a fire extinguisher in the last 2 years.

There is also plenty of documentation that people often get killed while miscalculating how effective there efforts to extinguish a fire will be.
    Interesting...sometimes I forget that I'm smarter than everyone else. :)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links