Obsessive Compulsive?

Obsessive Compulsive?

This is a discussion on Obsessive Compulsive? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I get on kicks, fads or focused on certain things for relatively short periods of time where all my spare time is spent on that ...

Obsessive Compulsive?

I get on kicks, fads or focused on certain things for relatively short periods of time where all my spare time is spent on that project. My wife and my assistant (secretary) tell my I have obsessions.

I have been obsessed with photography, genealogy, car repair, GPS equipment, hunting equipment, computers and getting my CHL to name a few.

My current obsession is to build a really inexpensive AR15. So I am going through the house pulling boxes of all my old obsessions and selling those things that are no longer used on eBay. My plan is to raise enough cash from my old obsessions to pay for my "cheap" AR.

Am I obsessive compulsive? Anybody else out there like me?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Am I obsessive compulsive?
    Nah ... sounds to me like you enjoy electronics and the outdoors. Now if you had 24 cameras, a geneology that looks like the Amazon, 12 Corvettes, 9 Garmin GPS units, more hunting stuff than you have silverware, 17 computers and 8 laptops ... then maybe I would think you are.

Wait a minute, that inventory sounds like mine. J/K

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    No. Sounds like you just are curious and like to learn new things and explore stuff.

I'm the same way. I hope you're not obsessive compulsive, because then my wife would be right after calling me that (jokingly) all those times.

I think we (I am the same) just like to learn and explore new things. Once we get to the point where we have a general understanding and and have accomplished a goel then its time for an new task and objective.

Heh, I just told my Wife last night I was gonna start selling off some of my woodworking equipment I haven't used in a very long time so I can, um, buy more guns

It must be something in the water here in TX

BTW, anyone want to buy a DeWalt 910 router, so I can buy a S&W 910 pistol?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I think we (I am the same) just like to learn and explore new things. Once we get to the point where we have a general understanding and and have accomplished a goel then its time for an new task and objective.
    So true! When I have a goal or objective in mind, I'm the same way. I've come real close to loosing sleep over some of my endeavors. When I get something in mind, I usually pursue it with 100% concentration until the goal has been accomplished. Compulsive? Maybe, but not obsessive/compulsive. Just dedicating 100% to the compulsion.

I'm the same way

Around the year 2000 was over at a buddy's house enjoying a couple beers when his wife said "hey you work on cars... can you help me add some memory on my computer?"

Never even touched a computer before...
    I said "I'll look at it" snapped in the RAM and the darn think worked!

About the same time while watching TechTV Pat Norton built a computer on the show...

Told myself hey I can do that!

Built my first computer before I ever sat down in front of a keyboard!

Learned how to use it then went to our community college (at the young age of 43) taking a few semesters of computer courses then took the CompTIA A+ certification tests.

All started with "can you help me add some memory on my computer"
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

You sound just like me. I get interested in something, get fixated, become a bit obsessed, then end up spending tons of money on said obsession. My wife appreciates the passion I have for stuff but hates it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

-Jeff-

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I can do all of that except maybe write a sonnet. But I can fix almost anything, and have fixed most of my own things that were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I get on kicks, fads or focused on certain things for relatively short periods of time where all my spare time is spent on that project. My wife and my assistant (secretary) tell my I have obsessions.

I have been obsessed with photography, genealogy, car repair, GPS equipment, hunting equipment, computers and getting my CHL to name a few.

My current obsession is to build a really inexpensive AR15. So I am going through the house pulling boxes of all my old obsessions and selling those things that are no longer used on eBay. My plan is to raise enough cash from my old obsessions to pay for my "cheap" AR.

Am I obsessive compulsive? Anybody else out there like me?
    What are your obsessions? Maybe we overlap?
    In otherwords what are you selling off?

My wife calls it "Barbie Dolling". When I get a new "X" - product I tend to then follow up with all the Barbie clothes that go with it.

IE: AR15 ... dozzen mags ... cleaning tools ... 2 casses of ammo ... strap ... carry bag ... EOTech ... (see how this goes?)
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

I unfortunately am not selling any gun stuff, so far a phoneline ethernet bridge, and a hand held scanner are on ebay. I just dismantled my broken dishwasher and will be selling the good parts from it. I've got an equalizer I will sell.. just a bunch of odds and ends taking up space. I lost my GPS but be getting a new one for Christmas. I've got some horse saddles I could sell.

You must be an Aries. LOL. Explore and learn new things all of the time, bored with the old stuff and repetition.

Not OCD.

My daughter's boyfriend is OCD. I love it, it's provided me with lots of cheap entertainment.

Links