Lunar Conjunction, 12.2.08

This is a discussion on Lunar Conjunction, 12.2.08 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; took these in front of my apartment, with a Nikon Coolpix. the moon, Venus (the brighter one), and Jupiter. next one's not 'til 2054....

Thread: Lunar Conjunction, 12.2.08

took these in front of my apartment, with a Nikon Coolpix. the moon, Venus (the brighter one), and Jupiter. next one's not 'til 2054.

Nice shots! I've been watching this for the past couple of nights on the way home from work after dark. I used to be more into astronomy than I am now, but these events are still plainly visible, and special for those who know what is happening. Any decent set of binoculars should put anyone at awe for the shows of the heavens. Many of these occurrences will only happen once in our lifetime!

Wow, cool. I'd love to see some of these things, but i never know about them before hand. =/

Very cool and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing!

-Jeff-

Frankinstine, Look outside now if you have clear skies. They are a little farther away from the moon now but you can still see them.

Quote Originally Posted by frankinstine View Post
    Wow, cool. I'd love to see some of these things, but i never know about them before hand. =/
    The Farmer's Almanac is always good, and I'm sure there are more online resources to research these days. Meteor showers used to be my favorite to watch for.

i love astronomy; it's a humbling science. i like to be reminded every once in a while of how small and insignificant i really am.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; December 4th, 2008 at 09:08 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    It was beautiful. Some lucky Europeans got to see the moon occult (pass in front of) Venus.

Quote Originally Posted by frankinstine View Post
    Here's a couple more Dec events. A good source is http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights

The Geminid meteor shower peaks the night of Dec 13-14. Unfortunately for this occurrence of the annual event, the just-past-full moon will wipe out all but the brightest.

Dec 18: the moon is 8 degrees to Saturn's lower right. For scale, the moon's diameter is 0.5 degrees, or 30 arc-minutes (30 MOA in rifle-speak).

Dec 20-21: longest night of the year for the northern hemisphere, with the winter solstice occurring on the 21st at 07:04 EST.

Dec 30, 31: Mercury and Jupiter are less than 1.5 degrees apart (closer than Venus and Jupiter on Dec 1). Use your binocular to see the 4 large moons of Jupiter.

Sponsored Links