Need help with Firefox

This is a discussion on Need help with Firefox within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Out of any computer problem I have ever faced, this is the only one I can not figure out. I usually save my passwords, so ...

Thread: Need help with Firefox

Need help with Firefox

Out of any computer problem I have ever faced, this is the only one I can not figure out.

I usually save my passwords, so when I visit a site I'm automatically logged in (forums, email, google, etc).

A few days ago, it stopped logging me into sites when I visited them. My username and password are filled in, but I have to click the login button every time.

I'm not aware of anything being changed on my computer, didn't install anything....

I've tried uninstall / reinstall firefox, clearing privacy data, and doing a registry cleaning. I scanned for any spyware / virus' as well and my computer came back clean.

Anyone know how to take care of this? Its not keeping the comp from working....but its really irritating.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

Is there a Remember me box ti check ??

I check it every time, but after I close firefox then reopen it and visit the site again...the box is unchecked again but username/pw are filled in
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I think I had a similar problem some time ago, but can't remember what I did. Do you have the latest FF? Does anyone else use the computer? Are your settings the same as before?

Do you have cookies turned on? If not that could be your problem.

Click on Tools, Options and then on the Privacy tab and see if you have "Accept Cookies". Then click on the security tab and see if "Remember passwords" is checked. Most likely the "Remember passwords" is checked if you come up to the login page and everything is already filled in. I suspect it's a cookie issue.

jfl
    Which operating system are you using ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

There is a setting in Firefox that will clear all browser history...usually, there's a pop up window that asks you if you want to clear the history. My guess is that you've somehow enabled it to do this automatically. Whether knowingly, or by default, you're clearing the cache when you close your browser. That's what it appears to me. There are choices when you upload Firefox, but Firefox is pretty user friendly in my experience. If you still have your Firefox setup shortcut on your desktop, I'd suggest going through the set up process all over again and read carefully your options. You may end up having to remove the program first, then pick another sight to upload from, make a new shortcut, then re-install. If you're running Windows XP, this could very well be the case. I've had some issues, and the latest updates are supposed to cure those issues. I always report errors to the server...I think it helps to make Firefox better for everyone. Still the best browser in my book.

VIP Member
    Does this happen with only certain sites? I've seen this sort of thing occur when there were problems at the web server which had nothing to do with my own computer.

This happens on every site I save my login info on. No settings were changed, and my cookies are on the up n up. I'm running Firefox 3.0.4 (the latest version) on Windows XP with Service Pack 3. None of my settings have been changed....It just suddenly started doing this.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm fairly proficient with computer related problems. I've spent my fair share of time networking, programing, graphic design, etc....I suspect that it may be something thats not so obvious....possibly a registry setting got tweaked around somehow....I don't know

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

RamRod has it pegged. I just got a new computer and installed FireFox on it and the exact same thing was going on for me when I first started using the new computer. It was exactly what RamRod described.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It was not set to automatically clear everything when I exit. I made sure the setting was turned off.

I got the problem fixed though. Did a full uninstall, and went through the registry and deleted everything that pertained to firefox. Then installed it and its working as it should now...I guess the Firefox uninstall program is kinda sloppy since it left several registry keys behind.... I'm still curious as to what caused the bug to begin with

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Links