Neighborhoods printing their own money?

This is a discussion on Neighborhoods printing their own money? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought this was interesting; Two neighborhoods in Milwaukee are considering printing their own currency, which could be bought with U.S. dollars, but would be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighborhoods printing their own money?

Administrator

Neighborhoods printing their own money?

I thought this was interesting;

Two neighborhoods in Milwaukee are considering printing their own currency, which could be bought with U.S. dollars, but would be only accepted at local businesses, in order to encourage people to shop at home instead of Walmart.

It's not a new concept — the Chicago Tribune says that lots of towns and neighborhoods relied on their own local currency during the Great Depression. It's also perfectly legal.

So what's the advantage for shoppers? Well, the currency could offer incentives — trading $100 US for $110 in the local currency would give shoppers a 10% bonus, for example.

What do you think? Would you use a local currency in order to support your community? Or are you going to shop at Walmart until they pry the cart from your cold dead hands?

http://consumerist.com/5102038/neigh...local-shopping
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    I haven't bought anything at WalMart for a looonng time.

Local currency is an interestig thought; my only concern would be that it would be easier to counterfeit and maybe difficult to prosecute.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Pretty cool idea really. I'd buy local currency if they did it here.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    If you think about it, its not much different than cashing in a coupon somewhere. If Walmart or K Mart print a coupon for say, 5 bucks, and you redeem it, its not much different than them printing their own money and the only place it is good is right there.

Every year, the school system here prints out a coupon book that costs 20 bucks, but it has several hundred dollars worth of discount that most of the restaurants here will honor. Some of the coupons have enough value that using just one at the right place will pay for the whole book.

If a city wants to do the same thing, with their own printed money, and it is acceptable to the business in that town, who cares?

As long as it works for everyone, its all good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I thought this was interesting;

Two neighborhoods in Milwaukee are considering printing their own currency, which could be bought with U.S. dollars, but would be only accepted at local businesses, in order to encourage people to shop at home instead of Walmart.

It's not a new concept — the Chicago Tribune says that lots of towns and neighborhoods relied on their own local currency during the Great Depression. It's also perfectly legal.

So what's the advantage for shoppers? Well, the currency could offer incentives — trading $100 US for $110 in the local currency would give shoppers a 10% bonus, for example.

What do you think? Would you use a local currency in order to support your community? Or are you going to shop at Walmart until they pry the cart from your cold dead hands?

Recession Watch: Neighborhoods Propose Printing Their Own Currency To Encourage Local Shopping
    Shop at home instead of Wal Mart? Well........I guess I'll thank the Lord I don't have to worry about such things as buying goods in my local neighborhood. I guess that would mean tires, hubcaps, used cars, unused prescription medications, and push-mowers that have been left out in the rain for the past year. We do trade at a couple of local stores other than Wal Mart. I've found better deals outside Wal Mart for certain items. If I went to Wal Mart for everything, I wouldn't be saving as much as I should. For those retards that can't figure out things for themselves, or price-compare, this might be a good thing. Then again....a 10% discount no more than covers taxes due on the sale a lot of places. Who do you think you are kidding?

That sounds interesting. Although, purchasing local currency would require US currency in the first place....which I don't have.

-Jeff-

It's interesting and I don't have a problem with it. I already try to buy US and even Michigan made when I can...only problem is it's hard to tell. Groceries is something we spend more on than anything else, but the packaging doesn't say where it was made....only "distributed by meijer inc, somecity MI." What I want to know is what farmer or rancher I am supporting.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    Saw a story in the paper a couple of weeks ago. It seems there are a couple small towns in the Northeast already doing this successfully.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    It is unconstitutional. Only the Congress has the power regulate the value of money, Article 1 Section 8.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Saw a story in the paper a couple of weeks ago. It seems there are a couple small towns in the Northeast already doing this successfully.
    Also Northwest. It's like a gift certificate that's good at multiple locations.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    It is unconstitutional. Only the Congress has the power regulate the value of money, Article 1 Section 8
    Only if it to be used in interstate commerce, which clearly this is not.

Do you think Congress needs to regulate and control EVERYTHING ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    It is unconstitutional. Only the Congress has the power regulate the value of money, Article 1 Section 8.
    That is correct. But they are not printing U.S. currency. This has been going on in Oregon and Washington for decades.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Only if it to be used in interstate commerce, which clearly this is not.

Do you think Congress needs to regulate and control EVERYTHING ?
    Only the issues specificalyy called out in the Constitution.

Not only does Section 8 provide the Power only to Congress, Section 10 specifically prhohibits states from doin this.

Section 10. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

Senior Moderator
    Its not the state doing it though is it?
    Its a city government.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member

I would have thought so, but

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I would have thought so, but apparently it is fairly commonplace for communities and businesses to create some form of their own currency. Here, the local U sells something called "Aggiebucks."

What would surely be unconscionable, and no doubt illegal, would be to attempt to pay workers with a private script--instead of with money.

But then, that happens in a way very very routinely. Many of us get our "money" in electronic equivalents of money. Our pay is not in the form of money, but in the form of a digital electronic record. Am I really looking at money when I look at the balance on my ATM receipt? Or am I looking at something else... representing money. What was I paid in salary or pension? Money? Or money equivalents? I'd sure like some gold and ammo as money equivalents !!!!!! Throw some diamonds in there too. Because, as deflation (if it is happening at all and I am not so sure yet about that) continues, you will start to see more "barter."

I guess this complex issue is why we have a Treasury Dept., government lawyers, and Federal Judges. We don't need to concern ourselves. It will all work out one way or the other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links