Moving - border town - NM/west TX - please advise

This is a discussion on Moving - border town - NM/west TX - please advise within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Las Cruces is a big town, was one of the 10 fastest growing cities, which destroys what used to be a really great city. While ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving - border town - NM/west TX - please advise

Las Cruces is a big town, was one of the 10 fastest growing cities, which destroys what used to be a really great city. While I liked it, it's now a large city for me (New Mexico "large") - 233 miles from Albuquerque. If you're going to do border work and like keeping busy, Deming and Lordsburg are nice smaller towns with lots of space to breathe. Silver City is really nice, but it's in the middle of nowhere, but easy access to Deming and Lordsburg. Lordsburg has a history to it. New Mexico is my choice for relocating, lived there 9 years and liked it a lot. 1.5 million people in the fifth largest land mass in the US. Border is really active. Not too keen about El Paso, tho'. It's just across the line from Las Cruces. Keep in mind that traveling in New Mexico takes time from city to city, but it's wide open roads. I'm feeling homesick, now...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Alpine is a lovely little town. Sul Ross University is there. It is a bit more built up than Marfa, but neither is very large.

Lordsburg, Sierra Blanco, and Van Horn are places I would avoid because of the desolation. Las Cruces is nice, but has issues like El Paso, just on a smaller scale. It is prettier than El Paso. T or C is much further north and is known for its retirement communities. You didn't mention Silver City, NM (north of Deming and Lordsburg). It is a very nice town. Alamogordo NM is nice, indeed, but I haven't spent much time there.

I would avoid El Paso.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Cruces, college town (NMSU), close to but not too close to El Paso, a decent option given the ones you were offered. I was raised about 2 hrs NE of there near Ruidoso and it is absolutely beautiful country. Take an evening and go to White Sands Nat'l Monument to watch a sunset, it's amazing. I'm missing it big time here, no open spaces and humidity and bugs out the *****...I envy the option to relocate to Cruces.

I currently reside in El Paso, Texas and lived in New Mexico for a few years. Although New Mexico has cheaper land, houses, etc.. the convenience of El Paso surpassed that.
    Crime is not that bad as long as you stay away from certain areas just like all other cities. El Paso was named one of the safest cities per capita.
    Since New Mexico is so close we have all the hunting, skiing, fishing activities pretty close. Cost of living is decent.

I would personally take 3 things into consideration
    1) How far will my job be
    2) How far I am willing to commute.
    3) Distance from Jewish Community Complex

Good luck with your move! Regardless of where you decide to move stay safe and keep in contact. Maybe we can hit the range. We have an excellent indoor range at the community college!

VIP Member

My 2c worth

Hi there Agave,
    Mrs GunnyBunny here. My parents live in Las Cruces. They retired there in '97 from Boston. And like previous posters have mentioned, it is one of the fastest growing cities around, but that is mostly due to retirees moving from cold places up north. I have been there many, many times and can tell you alot about the place. There isn't much going on there if you like the city life. There are alot of illegals there and they do commit alot of crime. Not being Archie Bunker, just telling it like it is. While my parent's house was being built, my dad had to sleep in the back of the truck with his gun in case thieves came in the night to steal supplies and other things before the alarm system could be installed.
    I still think of it as a one horse town even though it has grown alot in the past few years. Its only 45min from the El Paso airport and Fort Bliss. El Paso is definitely a big city with usual big city crime. And Juarez is a hole for sure. Speaking Spanish is a bonus (which I am fluent in as well) but you will be a little surprised when you first hear the Spanish spoken down there. It's a combination of bad Mexican Spanish and anglisized made up words. Not everyone of course, but you will still hear it.
    So, I don't know what else to tell you. If you have any questions, just email me!
    Jeanie
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Del Rio, hands down.

Not overly small, but smaller than El Paso. I've heard a lot of good on El Paso, if you like the larger cities. But, Del Rio with the Air Force Base, and other good things.. a good place. It's not that far from San Antonio, which I really like in comparison to El Paso.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm a lifelong NM resident, so here goes. Las Cruces Is NM's second biggest city. That and it's proximity to Mexico give it all the big city problems plus some.
    It should however fulfill all your needs. Deming, Lordsburg and T or C are essentially small towns and probably will not meet your needs. Cities like Hobbs, Carlsbad, Clovis and Roswell have nice weather practically year round. Low crime and very conservative values. If I could live anywhere in NM, I would definitely pick Carlsbad. As a single person, your income will be more than sufficient.
    Whatever you do, avoid the counties of Bernalillo and Valencia. Their county governments are modeled after North Koreas and they prohibit the discharge of firearms anywhere within the respective counties. Most pro-gun county is Catron. They have their own militia and an ordnance requiring you to own a gun.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Hi there Agave,
    Mrs GunnyBunny here. My parents live in Las Cruces. They retired there in '97 from Boston. And like previous posters have mentioned, it is one of the fastest growing cities around, but that is mostly due to retirees moving from cold places up north. I have been there many, many times and can tell you alot about the place. There isn't much going on there if you like the city life. There are alot of illegals there and they do commit alot of crime. Not being Archie Bunker, just telling it like it is. While my parent's house was being built, my dad had to sleep in the back of the truck with his gun in case thieves came in the night to steal supplies and other things before the alarm system could be installed.
    I still think of it as a one horse town even though it has grown alot in the past few years. Its only 45min from the El Paso airport and Fort Bliss. El Paso is definitely a big city with usual big city crime. And Juarez is a hole for sure. Speaking Spanish is a bonus (which I am fluent in as well) but you will be a little surprised when you first hear the Spanish spoken down there. It's a combination of bad Mexican Spanish and anglisized made up words. Not everyone of course, but you will still hear it.
    So, I don't know what else to tell you. If you have any questions, just email me!
    Jeanie

My mother in law lives in Las Cruces. Do me a favour, in case you move there take a silver bullet with you. I'll make it worth your while!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Thumbs up I should have included.......

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I'm a lifelong NM resident, so here goes. Las Cruces Is NM's second biggest city. That and it's proximity to Mexico give it all the big city problems plus some.
    It should however fulfill all your needs. Deming, Lordsburg and T or C are essentially small towns and probably will not meet your needs. Cities like Hobbs, Carlsbad, Clovis and Roswell have nice weather practically year round. Low crime and very conservative values. If I could live anywhere in NM, I would definitely pick Carlsbad. As a single person, your income will be more than sufficient.
    Whatever you do, avoid the counties of Bernalillo and Valencia. Their county governments are modeled after North Koreas and they prohibit the discharge of firearms anywhere within the respective counties. Most pro-gun county is Catron. They have their own militia and an ordnance requiring you to own a gun.
    Open carry and carrying a loaded gun in your vehicle, visible or concealed is legal throughout NM without any kind of license. There is no waiting period and Class III items are legal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links