One more reason I carry...

This is a discussion on One more reason I carry... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a short video of my first Taekwondo tournament, 12/6/08. Check out the tree that I had to fight, YouTube - Chris_PointSparring_12.6.08.AVI , and ...

Thread: One more reason I carry...

One more reason I carry...

Here is a short video of my first Taekwondo tournament, 12/6/08.

Check out the tree that I had to fight, YouTube - Chris_PointSparring_12.6.08.AVI, and you will see why I carry.

The point sparring was first one to 5 points (1 point for hands, 2 for kicks, and 3 for spinning kicks). This dude was big, and we were the first round. You can also look on my YouTube page to see my Kata and you will see this same man sitting to the left of the screen and he is almost as tall as I am, but he is sitting down!

I think this guys name should be Ivan Drago.

My point in posting this, other than to ease my grief of such a quick loss (tied for 3rd though) is to point out that even as a 6' 235ish Lbs guy who grew up in a rough neighborhood, there is always someone bigger and you have to weigh that with what you think your chances of survival are in any given situation.

I think things may have gone a little longer if I could have done without the stupid mask and chest pad though, I couldn't move or see a whole lot, at least that's my story .
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Wow. Is that really what Taekwondo is about? Kick someone twice and then you're done? Seems a little ridiculous.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Wow. Is that really what Taekwondo is about? Kick someone twice and then you're done? Seems a little ridiculous.
    Nope, but he got me good. 1 kick to the stomach (2 points) and then when I was in the middle of my spinning back fist he was setting up for a spinning side kick (3 points) and that was all it took to get 5 points and done.

At this particular tournament only brown belt and above do continuous sparring, to a set time limit and then tally the total points.

I hope to do much better in the next tournament I am in, we'll see...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Good luck in your progress. Looks boring as hell to me at this level!
    He is one BIG BOY!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Good luck in your progress. Looks boring as hell to me at this level!
    It has its moments, but I am getting back in to shape and my Wife and 4 kids (for now) are also involved. The Wife will have to hang it up for a while after the next kid is born, but she expects to go back to it as soon as she can.

-Paco

I take it that you cannot use 'Klick Pow' in this tourney, even for a big sucker like that?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

If I can try and not sound like a pompous jerk here:

I spend 8 years in Tae Kwon Do, and wrestled for the better part of my life, being quite successful, and generally what someone would consider a bad a**; standing 5'10" 315; I can honestly tell you, if someone wants to pick a fight or be aggressive, they don't fight fair, I just like to make sure that if I'm put in that situation, I've made the scales fall my direction.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Oh, I certainly agree and have been that guy who wants to pick a fight. But I personally have only fought people my own size, until now. Luckily it was a "safe" fight, otherwise it would have been Klick Pow that I would have used.

-Paco

.02 cents of advise.... don't get too caught up in the tournament stuff too much, and if that's all they are teaching... go somewhere else. Taekwondo, is not about earning points.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    .02 cents of advise.... don't get too caught up in the tournament stuff too much, and if that's all they are teaching... go somewhere else. Taekwondo, is not about earning points.
    My instructors don't teach for the tournaments, they just thought I'd have fun with it. They actually teach the reason behind the block and how to follow up from blocking or moving out of the way, to get the most out of your energy and not peeter out before the fight is over.

-Paco

wow ! Its changed that much ? Last tourny I was in, the only safety gear you had besides a jock strap was a mouth guard. But that was 1978.
    No wonder you can't hardly see or get around in that get-up.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    wow ! Its changed that much ? Last tourny I was in, the only safety gear you had besides a jock strap was a mouth guard. But that was 1978.
    No wonder you can't hardly see or get around in that get-up.
    I got a few things broken, and that was just during our sparring. LOL. It all healed.

Sounds like you might be with some good instructors. Around here anymore, they are "tournament" oriented so much so, that they don't teach any real "fighting" techniques per se.

Links