Tis the season to offend - Page 2

Tis the season to offend

This is a discussion on Tis the season to offend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Christmas" is a pagan Roman ordeal celebrating the winter solstice. Christ was born during Sukkot - in the fall. But frankly, it's irrelevant. No offense ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tis the season to offend

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    "Christmas" is a pagan Roman ordeal celebrating the winter solstice. Christ was born during Sukkot - in the fall. But frankly, it's irrelevant.

No offense taken :p
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I wonder how long it will be before someone posts that they are offended by all this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I,m Jewish and it doesn't bother me. I call them Christmas trees because that's what they are. They are not Hanukah tree's. I look at it this way. You guys have your holiday's and I have mine, It doesn't effect my life if your celebrating Christmas just like If I celebrate PassOver effects your life.

I happened to be married to a Gentile woman, I celebrate Christmas with her parents and I enjoy "their" holiday with them.
    +1 On this! And here's my response.

Rudolph's cousin, Shlomo:
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I never quite understood who exactly was being "offended" by the Christmas holiday.....

I dated a Jewish girl for a few years and I know a lot of Jewish people and to my knowledge NONE of them are offended by a "Merry Christmas" any more than they are offended by a "Happy Easter" or whatever...... most of the Jews I know could give a rats arse about any of that.

No one has ever been able to tell me exactly what religion was offended by Christmas. So I don't even understand who all the political correctness was supposed to appease.

I believe it is the ACLU that get offended......
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    No one has ever been able to tell me exactly what religion was offended by Christmas. So I don't even understand who all the political correctness was supposed to appease.
    Atheists.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

[QUOTE=mi2az;938576]I,m Jewish and it doesn't bother me. I call them Christmas trees because that's what they are. They are not Hanukah tree's. I look at it this way. You guys have your holiday's and I have mine, It doesn't effect my life if your celebrating Christmas just like If I celebrate PassOver effects your life. QUOTE]

+10 I too am Jewish and never have nor would take offense to somebody wishing me a Merry Christmas instead of Happy Hanukkah. Who really cares. They are Christmas trees!!!! Not a big fan of the Hanukah bush. It is always good to know about other beliefes.

By the way most people do not know that Santa Clause is not his name his last name is Santastein. Who else except a Jew works on Christmas Eve?

To JonInNY that my friend is funny.

Or who do you find in Chineese Restaruants on Christmas Day
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I'm offended...

That ya'll don't actually know the true history of of your Christmas, and think it's about the christian faith... It all started long before the birth of your christ child.

Christmas History

Christmas on the Net - The History of Christmas

Now that said... :)

Mele Kalikamaka

Merry Christmas to you too P.K.
    I say Merry Christmas anyway.... to heck with'em if they are offended.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Smile Support Christmas Friendly Retailers

The following information is from http://www.citizenlink.org/content/a000008670.cfm. Please support those retailers who are Christmas friendly.

Focus on the Family Action’s 2008 Christmas-Friendly Shopping Guide

How leading retailers’ messages rate

Last updated: 12/2/08
    We welcome your use of these ratings in your shopping decisions. As an additional way to help you communicate with the retailers we evaluated, we are providing the convenience of a petition which you can sign by visiting focuspetitions.com.
    Retailers will be presented with petitions — thanking those that embrace "Christmas," and alerting those that have purged or marginalized "Christmas" that you object to the secularization of Christmas. We hope you will "stand for Christmas" with us and encourage the continued acknowledgement of this historic Christian observance in our culture.

"Christmas-friendly" retailers — prominent acknowledgment of "Christmas"
    Bass Pro Shops*
    Bed, Bath & Beyond
    Best Buy
    Cabela's
    Circuit City
    Crate&Barrel
    Dillard's
    Eddie Bauer
    JCPenney
    Kohl's
    L.L.Bean
    Lands' End
    Linens 'n Things
    Lowe's
    Macy's
    Neiman Marcus
    Nordstrom
    Pier 1 Imports
    Sears
    The Home Depot
    Target
    Toys "R" Us
    Wal-Mart

"Christmas-negligent" retailers — marginalized use of "Christmas"
    Barnes & Noble
    Borders
    Dick's Sporting Goods
    GAP
    KB Toys
    Kmart

"Christmas-offensive" retailers — apparent abandonment of "Christmas"
    American Eagle
    Banana Republic
    Bloomingdale's
    Lane Bryant
    Old Navy

* National retailers that recently learned of our campaign and contacted us to display their support for Christmas.

This publication may be reproduced in its entirety only, and for non-commercial purposes, without prior permission from Focus on the Family Action. Copyright © 2008 Focus on the Family Action. All Rights Reserved. International Copyright Secured. Printed in the U.S.A.
    If reproducing, please cite as follows:
    Originally published by Focus on the Family Action. Copyright © 2008 Focus on the Family Action.

I'll have to make an effort to search out these particular retailers and say
    "Merry Christmas".
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Merry Christmas to all at DC.

Thats my stance on this subject.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I remember watching a show about the day to day runnings of a TV station. They were trying to come up with a P.C. messge to run at Christmas time.

They came up with "Happy Winter Solstice!".

Uh, no. Merry Christmas works just fine for me, and if the ACLU is offended, my day is complete.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    By the way most people do not know that Santa Clause is not his name his last name is Santastein. Who else except a Jew works on Christmas Eve?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links