This hardly ever happens to me... get mailed a gun by mistake

This is a discussion on This hardly ever happens to me... get mailed a gun by mistake within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Grandmother 'petrified' after being sent a police machine gun through the post - Telegraph Grandmother 'petrified' after being sent a police machine gun through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This hardly ever happens to me... get mailed a gun by mistake

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Grandmother 'petrified' after being sent a police machine gun through the post - Telegraph

Grandmother 'petrified' after being sent a police machine gun through the post
    A grandmother was sent a machine gun intended for a police station through the post after an address mix-up.

By Lucy Cockcroft
    Last Updated: 6:29PM GMT 10 Dec 2008

Catherine Roots had been expecting a horse harness in the post, instead she opened her package to find a Heckler & Koch black submachine gun.

The package was delivered by a courier to Mrs Roots when it should have been sent to firearms officers at the nearby police headquarters.

She called the station and two armed officers turned up and took it away.

Police later explained a gun supply company made a mistake with the postcode when they sent it to Dorset Police in Winfrith near Dorchester.

Instead of writing down DT2 8DZ a clerk put Mrs Roots' postcode of DT2 8DT on the package.

Mrs Roots, who is aged in her 50s and runs a smallholding at Winfrith, said: "I was petrified and I didn't touch it I didn't know if it would go off.

"I couldn't believe my eyes. Later I found underneath it a letter addressed to the Dorset Police firearms unit with the correct address.

"If it had got into the wrong hands the consequences wouldn't bear thinking about.

"After I contacted the police two armed officers turned up and they were as shocked as I was."

Mrs Roots was later told the weapon was a realistic training gun that fires infra-red beams, not bullets.

She said: "I'm told it had been converted to be used with a laser, but someone could probably convert it back."

Assistant Chief Constable Adrian Whiting, of Dorset Police, said: "Because this item isn't actually a firearm it is lawful for the company, the suppliers, to use a courier as they did.

"I hasten to add if it was a real firearm we would transport it by hand, making sure that no such error like this could occur."

Dorset Police is now seeking assurances from its unnamed supplier that such a mistake could never happen again.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yep wouldn't want toy guns to fall into the wrong hands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Catherine Roots had been expecting a horse harness in the post, instead she opened her package to find a Heckler & Koch black submachine gun.
    I wonder if she would have been petrified if it had been pink instead of that evil black sub machine gun?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I wonder if she would have been petrified if it had been pink instead of that evil black sub machine gun?
    Everybody knows that tacticool black makes guns extra deadly.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Mrs Roots, who is aged in her 50s and runs a smallholding at Winfrith, said: "I was petrified and I didn't touch it – I didn't know if it would go off.
    Sounds like that pretty much sums up the belief system of the entire country.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Wow - maybe I should change my address to be very, very close to the local precinct!?!
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Wow - maybe I should change my address to be very, very close to the local precinct!?!
    I know! Live real close by so that they mail machine guns to us and leave more machine guns all over our yards!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Thats pretty cool, I might of take it out for a test fire it to see if it works before I gave it back. I never fired a fully automatic yet.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Funny how people are iffy about firearms, I always make a point of showing friends and family my firearms so they at least develop a respect and understanding for them and mabey one day show some interest in the sport side of pistol shooting.

Even strange is the fact my partner (who is a licensed pistol holder) and even has her own PT99, is the first person to tell me off for dragging the guns out.

Example the other day, my cousin and her boys (8 & 9) came over and the topic of (what sports are you into) comes up, I promptly said pistol shooting and asked if they would like to come out to the range sometime ?

I offered to show the boys what a real gun looked like as they had never seen one, their mum was happy for them to see it but suddenly my partner interjected and say a big "NO" and it then became a taboo topic all of a sudden.

Wonder if its time to find a new partner perhaps :) and then I can introduce people to our sport without getting the 3rd degree.

Its not like they were total strangers, friends and family should be able to see your guns and share in your interests.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Member
    Don't you love it when "journalists" use blatant lies to get you to read a story? Usually the "journalist" doesn't write the title so I can blame her for that, but the first line of the article states something as fact when in reality it is not. Last time I checked when one knowingly states something as fact that is later proved to be false it is said that one has lied. Now when it is the person making the original statement who later in the same article proves the original statement to be false there is no way one can claim to have been mistaken, mislead, or to have only found out the truth later.

To state in the first sentence that Catherine Root received a H&K submachine gun and then later in the 10th sentence say well it really wasn't a submachine gun after all it was just a very realistic training gun sort of indicates the lengths to which the media will go to make a story out of nothing.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The UK is a country full of bleating sheep. They will soon be a third world country. Possibly an Islamic republic.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Heylin, dude your significant other obviously has some issues you two haven't worked through yet. Maybe, (if you haven't yet) you might want to sit down with her and discuss the subject when the "heat of the moment" isn't there, so you can talk about it rationally, and not under emotional duress. If you can't come eye to eye over something as important as weapons in your home - that's a pretty significant issue.

Sorry, just butting in - I want to see your relationship be a total success, not just partial.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

I was hoping the OP had a Christmas Miracle.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

"I was petrified and I didn't touch it – I didn't know if it would go off."
    Yep, guns are "routinely" shipped fully loaded, safeties off, ready to "Just Go Off" at first touch.

I'd be going... "Machine gun? What machine gun? I don't know nuttin about no machine gun!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Keep in mind this is the UK. The people have a mindset that the government is always right. Any black semi-auto will be described as a "machine gun". Also I noticed the police said it was an infra-red gun, "we'd never ship a real gun". Who knows, I'll bet it was a real gun and they don't want to admit mistakes happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links