Family Thinks I'm Nuts ...

This is a discussion on Family Thinks I'm Nuts ... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I moved to AZ from Michigan back in June 2006. Maybe by Aug/Sept 2006, I bought 2 pistols. A year after that, Oct 2008 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Thinks I'm Nuts ...

Well, I moved to AZ from Michigan back in June 2006.

Maybe by Aug/Sept 2006, I bought 2 pistols. A year after that, Oct 2008 I decided to get my CCW. In November, I bought holsters to carry my pistols, only one at a time. I don't carry both together.

Now I carry where ever I legally can, even around the house or when we go out for our night time family walks.

They think I am going over-board with this. They keep reminding me that our city is ranked one of the safest in AZ. It also ranks pretty safe in the entire U.S.

So, Do you think I am being a little excessive ? I never even owned firearms until we moved here.

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Well, I moved to AZ from Michigan back in June 2006.

Maybe by Aug/Sept 2006, I bought 2 pistols. A year after that, Oct 2008 I decided to get my CCW. In November, I bought holsters to carry my pistols, only one at a time. I don't carry both together.

Now I carry where ever I legally can, even around the house or when we go out for our night time family walks.

They think I am going over-board with this. They keep reminding me that our city is ranked one of the safest in AZ. It also ranks pretty safe in the entire U.S.

So, Do you think I am being a little excessive ? I never even owned firearms until we moved here.

Excessive? No. Your family will accept it in due time. The sooner the better IMO. Work with what you have, do your best, and don't let it cloud your mind.

Senior Moderator
    Do you think I am being a little excessive
    No.

Violence knows no boundarys. Think about it. Your city is the one of the safest.

Does that mean that nothing violent ever happens or does it mean that less violence happens there than in other citys.

If you get into a situation that requires force to resolve, those statistics that say your city is better than the rest will mean nothing to you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If it helps, my family thinks I'm crazy too.

My mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I mentioned a MkIII, she immediately said NO GUNS YOU HAVE ENOUGH. So I guess that means I have the bare minimum right?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Moderator
    So I guess that means I have the bare minimum right
    It means that you aren't getting any guns for Christmas...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    But...but...Santa knows what I really want!

I think she's more worried about "what if the neighbors found out" than anything else. She keeps telling me about how everytime she sees a news article about someone bad doing something they are described as having an "arsenal".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Every day I strap on my pistol I pray that I won't need it. But to me, it is much better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Another point, do you have house insurance? Car insurance? Well...it's silly because the odds of you needing it are so low, right? But we stil have it ;)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    I'm also living in an incredibly safe area these days but, I still put on my firearm every morn right along with my socks and my underwear.
    It's a long time force of habit now and I never leave home without it.
    I am so used to wearing a firearm that I usually just leave it on when I'm home.
    It's just a part of me and my every day routine.

Might ask the folks if you should remove the smoke alarms and fire extinguishers from the house because there are few fires in the neighborhood.

Personally I can not say I ever saw an aircraft blow away because it was tied down too well, or heard of someone being unable to defend themselves because they were armed to well. As a Boyscout we were taught to "Always be prepared"

As for you owning too many guns... I bought my first revolver on my honeymoon. My bride asked if this was going to be a pattern. I promised her I would buy only one a year, and she said that was OK as long as she only had to do the ironing once a year. Sounded OK to me. At last count Iíve been married fifty three years and she has been married six.

Administrator
    Funny thought. Your family is outnumbered. 26,000 people here don't think you're nuts at all.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I haven't been without mine since the day I got my permit. Keep carrying.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. Ever had to pull it? Then it's preventative aura must be working.

2. Ask anyone who doubts your intentions to define "random violence."

3. Congratulations for exercising your rights of self defense and bearing of arms.

4. Standing next to a cop must be a safe act, yet cops get shot on a regular basis.

5. The worst time to not have a gun? When you really really need one.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Do you know when you will need your weapon for protection the most?

When you don't have it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by cub driver View Post

As for you owning too many guns... I bought my first revolver on my honeymoon. My bride asked if this was going to be a pattern. I promised her I would buy only one a year, and she said that was OK as long as she only had to do the ironing once a year. Sounded OK to me. At last count Iíve been married fifty three years and she has been married six.
    That's too funny. I bet you don't remind her of your count very often.

mi2az, my wife thought like that for a while. I just kept e-mailing her stories of horrible things that happened in all those safe areas. It didn't take long before she wanted to get her permit and a carry gun. I now feel a lot better when her and the kids are out without me. It just takes time.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

So, Do you think I am being a little excessive ?
    Not at all. Violence happens even in the nice and safe towns. No matter where you are, there are bad people there too. They may just decide to attack you and your family some time and if they do, you will be ready.

Don't let what others think influence how you protect your family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links