Anyone work at home ?

Anyone work at home ?

This is a discussion on Anyone work at home ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I would like to try to break into this field of work if at all possible. I have alot of sales and customer service experience ...

Thread: Anyone work at home ?

Question Anyone work at home ?

I would like to try to break into this field of work if at all possible.
    I have alot of sales and customer service experience so I think it would not be a problem.
    Is there anyone that can advise me on certain company's to contact, and generally show me the ropes ? Thank you.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have, but I am a computer programmer so I don't think it would help you
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I am a IT guy myself. So I do telecomute from home. There are people in my company that are not IT and strictly work from home, they are customer service types, but they only get paid around $10 per hour.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I am a IT guy myself. So I do telecomute from home. There are people in my company that are not IT and strictly work from home, they are customer service types, but they only get paid around $10 per hour.
    anything helps...you see, I am unemployed.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I worked from home as a regional manager for a large telecom company for 4 years, live in SE CT, and the boss was in Marietta, GA. Anyhow, it isn't all it is cracked up to be. I would spend about 1,000 miles a week behind the wheel, and then get home and have a couple of hours of work to do on the computer. On days that I didn't have to travel, I would spend all day on conference calls, e-mail, updating job status on the computer, and basically be busy from 7 AM till 6 PM, then the wife would get home and complain that I didn't do any laundry.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I work from home, but also travel a lot. One recommendation: I would not want to be the only guy in the company working from home. It only works well if everybody in your company / department works from home. Some companies allow for a mix. One or two days a week from home, the rest at the office.

Also make sure your boss knows what you are doing and that you are actually working. It is harder to get that point across if you are not sitting in clear view of the boss at a desk :-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I would like to try to break into this field of work if at all possible.
    I have alot of sales and customer service experience so I think it would not be a problem.
    Is there anyone that can advise me on certain company's to contact, and generally show me the ropes ? Thank you.
    Most tech type places do. I know someone at vmware that does too. A lot of their sales engineers work from home. edit: but they also travel...A LOT.

I'm an engineer for a company in NoVa and even though I only live 50 miles or so from the office I can work 3 days or so a week from home. Supposedly in the near future it's gonig to be permanent as they try to cut costs.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I provide professional entertainment and companionship for females from my home. I'm almost broke.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm and IT guy too and have worked from home in the past....... I worked for Cisco in tech support for VOIP networks, and at first I liked it......

But after a while, it was not so great....especially in IT when you are on call a lot and there were times when my job and my home could not be separated. It became quite intrusive ......getting woke up at 3am every night for a 4 hour troubleshoot session on some POS switch or router was no fun.....

Now with that said, the problem was not working at home it was the type of job it was...... If I could have worked from home and made my own hours, the job would have been great. Because then you could turn it on/off when you chose to and that would allow you to keep work and home a separate thing.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I work from home at least 3 days a week. Personally I love it. I manage data, which is much better than managing people. My company doesn't normally allow this because they've had problems in the past. But my manager needed someone to watch things earlier than the office opened and it was discussed during my interview. It's the main reason I chose this job.

At first we started slow, but once my boss got to see how I worked from home I think he prefers I stay home. On Monday the roads were slick and I got in 10 minutes late because of traffic. My boss told me that I should have stayed home, and in the future not to bother coming in when the roads are bad.

Anyway, my advice would be to look more at online job postings than in the newspaper. It's harder to find a non-traditional job in the paper. Look for computer related jobs. They are the ones that you'll have the best shot at getting to work from home. If you try a customer service type job, you'll need a nice quiet place to work from away from the kids. Working from a computer they can't hear the kids or TV in the background.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I provide professional entertainment and companionship for females from my home. I'm almost broke.
    That sounds like a pretty good deal, despite the great compensation.

I do highly technical tax consulting from home. Only for the truly sick.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

AZ Husker, I got a feeling your built like me. Can go for the long run, but not a pretty site to look at.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Sponsored Links