ccfl backlight for laptop

This is a discussion on ccfl backlight for laptop within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any of you hi-tech computer gurus ever change out a laptop ccfl backlight successfully? I had my Toshiba laptop screen go out on me this ...

Any of you hi-tech computer gurus ever change out a laptop ccfl backlight successfully? I had my Toshiba laptop screen go out on me this past summer, and changed out the inverter initially, but it ended up being the lamp. I'll have a replacement here this weekend, and I'm going to attempt to solder it in and put it all back together. A $9.99 ccfl was a good alternative compared to sending the screen in for service, or buying a new one all together. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Any successful stories would boost my confidence tremendously.

Yep. not hard to do. My Dell was on 2 pins, and just ppluged in.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Well, mine isn't. Lamp comes with about a half inch lead on each end, and I'll need to solder the wires back to them. Any reason I should be concerned with heating temperature for soldering those?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, mine isn't. Lamp comes with about a half inch lead on each end, and I'll need to solder the wires back to them. Any reason I should be concerned with heating temperature for soldering those?

Not much. Most of the internal parts of computers have very intense heat as part of their production. I used to work at IBM making computer chips and we got them up to 1000 degrees celsius at certain stages. And the circuit boards are made to be soldered. Just be careful around the screen and any external plastic.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Not much. Most of the internal parts of computers have very intense heat as part of their production. I used to work at IBM making computer chips and we got them up to 1000 degrees celsius at certain stages. And the circuit boards are made to be soldered. Just be careful around the screen and any external plastic.
    No problem, it's all torn apart. Just concerned with temps around the lamp. I'd like things to last at least as long as the original.

trust me before you solder it splice and bench test it . its a pain to take them apart again. also use some shrink wrap on the wire .don't use black tape.
    Last edited by magna750; December 12th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by magna750 View Post
    trust me before you solder it splice and bench test it . its a pain to take them apart again. also use some shrink wrap on the wire .don't use black tape.
    Great tip! i don't know how I would bench test it being off the computer and without inverter. I'm no electronics genius, but I know what you're getting at. Thanks.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you are worried go to Radio Shack or someplace like that and get a couple small clip on heat sinks. I use them all the time around electronics, and haven't messed a component up yet.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    If you are worried go to Radio Shack or someplace like that and get a couple small clip on heat sinks. I use them all the time around electronics, and haven't messed a component up yet.
    Or borrow some hemostats from a friendly nurse/paramedic/emt type (or dope-smoker, I suppose).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Or borrow some hemostats from a friendly nurse/paramedic/emt type (or dope-smoker, I suppose).
    Thanks guys....on the suggestions for heat sinks. I do have some alligator clips I make jumpers and test leads with for my higher voltage work. I imagine those would do just as well. Appreciate the advice. I didn't get the ccfl in the mail today, so it looks like next week's project for Wed or Thu. They'll be my only days off.

I've done it as well. Not too bad. The worst part is putting the whole thing back together. Big fingers trying to put small plugs together in small spaces are hard to do. If you can do that, your golden. Best of luck.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I've done it as well. Not too bad. The worst part is putting the whole thing back together. Big fingers trying to put small plugs together in small spaces are hard to do. If you can do that, your golden. Best of luck.
    Well, taking it apart was bad enough. Why I wanted to tackle this on my three day weekend. Another kicker in the deal was me finding Wal Mart's weekly mass mailing in my box yesterday.....32"HDTV or Toshiba Laptop (160GB HD)..either for $398 while supplies last. I already burned most of my stash on Christmas gifts. Well, if this project comes out working good, I'll still have saved some in the long run....maybe enough to see a PT1911 in the upcoming year hopefully. And of course the great feeling one gets from fixing things themselves!
    Thanks for the boost in confidence.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I'll second the motion for some cheap hemostats over alligator clips or Radio Shack heat sinks any day. Hemostats are cheap, conduct heat well, lock in place (which improves heat conduction as well as preventing an untimely disconnection) and can also be used to juxtapose components in case you need to keep one hand free. They are useful for crimping the end of heat shrink insulation as well. IOW, they slice, they dice, the price is nice. GET SOME!

Links