Best big name brand of batteries for the money IYO?

This is a discussion on Best big name brand of batteries for the money IYO? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, 'tis the season and then some. Found myself debating on advertisements and price once again today choosing batteries. Like to know everyone's thoughts on ...

View Poll Results: Best big name brand battery IYO?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Energizer

22 33.33%
  • Duracell

39 59.09%
  • Rayovac

5 7.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best big name brand of batteries for the money IYO?

Best big name brand of batteries for the money IYO?

Well, 'tis the season and then some. Found myself debating on advertisements and price once again today choosing batteries. Like to know everyone's thoughts on what brand is the best (non-rechargeable) battery on the market for the price.
    Rayovac, Duracell, or Energizer? I ended up with a package of 12 Rayovac AAA batteries today for the price of the others 8ct packages. It's always sort of confusing, but then again...far as my flashlights are concerned, I'll be totally LED by the first of the year anyway and be saving even more life of my batteries.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Sometime ago I actually saw a battery test where all major brands of batteries were tested against each other. Rayovac won to my surprise.

But I'll tell you what, next semester, my projects class will need a project to develop that involves calculations, data collection, analysis, etc. A battery comparison test sounds pretty good to me.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    I voted Duracel from personal experience

It seems to me that with my headlight that Duracel lasts just a little longer.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    In tests that I've read, Rayovacs last longer in lower drain devices (not like digital camera's for example). They are what I use most of the time.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Sometime ago I actually saw a battery test where all major brands of batteries were tested against each other. Rayovac won to my surprise.

But I'll tell you what, next semester, my projects class will need a project to develop that involves calculations, data collection, analysis, etc. A battery comparison test sounds pretty good to me.
    The Rayovac actually states on the package, that they last as long as Duracell. And for the price, $6.25 for 8 Duracell AAA's, or $6.25 for the 12 Rayovacs.

I get Duracells usually...I would use Energizers but that bunny makes me want to turn my TV into shooting gallery, the way hes goes back and forth and circles around. I could just blow his head off.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    I get Duracells usually...I would use Energizers but that bunny makes me want to turn my TV into shooting gallery, the way hes goes back and forth and circles around. I could just blow his head off.
    Never hurts to let it all out. We're here for you, and if that isn't enough, just remember.....do you really want to blow your TV away? A new one could cost as much or more than a new pistol!

I buy the brand with the biggest sale...usually at Home Depot or WW.
    I've read that brand doesn't really matter, and I've not noticed a difference among various brands. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I prefer the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries. They are more expensive but worth every penny. I put some in my camcorder when we got to Disney and I recorded over 3 (probably closer to 4 or 5) hours of video and had it on standby for most of a week (at least 36 hours). They didn't die until the week was up and we were on our last day. The regular batteries will barely record for 1 hour (probably closer to 45 minutes).
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I'm voting for Energizer because that's what's available locally at a good price for me.

I use rechargeable Sony batteries normally though.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

When I bought batteries, I just bought them from batteries.com . The in-house brand is actually very good quality. They're also significantly cheaper in bulk compared to the other guys.

However, if you don't need a lot of batteries then it might not be worth it.

Whatever you do don't buy the store branded ones that Batteries Plus sell. They are called NUON. They don't last at all. The company I worked with went through TONS of batteries for our wireless surveillance and tracking systems. Did I mention that "they don't last long at all"? They are cheap though.

I have always had good luck with all three, however I voted for Rayovac because that seems to be what I normally buy. My wife picks up Duracell.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

at work we have a battery test setup. custom made for 4 sets of 16 D cells. it will read the battery voltage every 30 seconds for 3 months. load is ~330mW. That is about a 40 hom load per cell. we can test a batch of 60 every 60 days. this load rat is set to our load for the equipment that we run. easy to do.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I vote duracell since my cousin works for them.
    He also said that I would be surprised what batteries they produce.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links