Our Dogs

This is a discussion on Our Dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I just adore the English Bulldog breed. Here are our 'babies' 8 month old Ronan Cyric and 8 week old Gabby Sue. ...

Thread: Our Dogs

Talking Our Dogs

My wife and I just adore the English Bulldog breed.

Here are our 'babies' 8 month old Ronan Cyric and 8 week old Gabby Sue. We just got Gabby Saturday. Picked her up in Pittsburgh, she flew in from OK.

Any other pet pictures?!?

Attached Images
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Great pics

Not really a great dog fan and also have a ''thing'' I guess about the various breeds where respiratory aspects seem compromized - Boxers, Pekinese are other examples. Seems sometimes to give the dogs a hard time.

That said - looks like your ''family'' is in a great home, which is about #1 priority IMO. Plenty of TLC

I know you said your folks were NE PA - you live in PA too?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good looking Dogs there I miss having one but think i might soon

Yes, we are about 1 and a half hours from Pittsburgh-PM inbound.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

have a ''thing'' I guess about the various breeds where respiratory aspects seem compromized - Boxers, Pekinese are other examples. Seems sometimes to give the dogs a hard time.
    That certainly is something that must be watched constantly with this breed. Also, their wrinkles need cleaned around their faces at least once a week, and their tight corkscrew tails can become dirty and infected if not cleaned everyday. Takes some work, but the attitude and loyality of this breed is second to none! We have own rotts, boxers, rat terriers, and dobermans and nothing has compared to the EB.

As a side note, their is actually a functional reason to the smashed face and wrinkles. The 'smashed' nose allowed the bulldog, in the days of bull-baiting, clamp onto the bulls snout and still be able to breath their their own noses during the attack. The underbite also helped this. The wrinkles in the face were bred in to allow the blood from the bull to channel down the dogs face and stay away from the eyes and nose.

Thankfully, the ferciousness of the EB has been bred out long ago. They lick strangers to death! LOL!

Nietzsche

Assistant Administrator
    K-T - many thx for the skinny on the breed characteristics - all makes sense when I think on it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    K-T,

Bulldogs are way cool!

I owned one many years ago, his name was Winston. My son entered him in an "ugly dog" contest when he was a puppy, he won, naturally.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Gabby look's like Ronans lunch!

Great lookin pup's!

I'm a lab kinda guy.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thanks!

Growing up my parents had black labs exclusively. I didn't begin to to enjoy the EB breed until I took my late rott to her CGC classes. A lady there had an EB and that thing was so darn cute! We swaped dogs in class to see if the dogs would listen to others besides their owners. I got lucky and get the EB for about 20 minutes and that dog was the smartest, human like dog I had ever seen. I told my wife that I would someday like to have one, and she agreed.

Last year our rott died of a blood disease after a long battle. We were pretty heart broken over it, but researching and getting Ronan was the best thing we could have done because we fell madly in love with him and havent looked back since! They take a lot of work, and they demand constant human companionship (sitting in your laps, sleeping in your bed, going with you on vacations!) but they are so precious.

Nietzsche

We have always wanted a Bulldog, since we love flat-noses. Just haven't yet found one. We do have two Boston Terriers and a Boxer (and then a herd of other four-legged critters... including a Jack Russell that we found as a puppy wandering down the road). With a giant mixed something - her head is bigger than my whole cowboy hat - living outside and the other seven in the house, it makes for quite an "alarm" system if something is moving where it shouldn't be.

Congrats on Gabby Sue's arrival. She looks so tiny next to Ronan.

I have a brace of retired racing greyhounds. I also foster rescued/retired racing greyhounds for adoption. I'll see if I've got some pics worth posting.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Great looking bulldogs :) I'm a sucker for the flat-nosed 4 leggers, as well, of slightly smaller statue.

I have a pug and a shih-tzu. The pug has many of the same health issues that bulldogs have, face wrinkles and tails getting infected, prone to respratory problems. Luckily, my wife is a vet tech at the local animal hospital :D

I guess I'm just a sucker for animals, really, in addition to the two mentioned above, I have a chihuahua, a daschund, house cat, parrot, rabbit, hamster, rosy boa, 4 red eared sliders, about 280 gallons combined volume in marine reef tanks, a goldfish pond out back... I'm sure I'm forgetting something... Oh yeah, four daughters :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

We also have a rott/boxer mix that we got 5 years ago. The owners pure rott was bred accidently by the neighbors pure boxer (he chewed through the chain link fence to get her!) He was just going to kill the pups so I grabbed her up. She has been the best dog ever-very smart and loving. She is a monster at120-pounds, but she is happy and tolerates the puppies well.

Nietzsche

Links