Well I'm going to go back to school but not sure what for, any ideas?????

This is a discussion on Well I'm going to go back to school but not sure what for, any ideas????? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well having been recently wrongfully terminated and not being able to find a job for the life of me because of the economy and lay-offs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well I'm going to go back to school but not sure what for, any ideas?????

Well having been recently wrongfully terminated and not being able to find a job for the life of me because of the economy and lay-offs in the area. I have decided to go get a degree but would like some insight into what some of you guys do.

I love to wrench on sleds, atv's, etc, but cant see myself retiring from it as I doubt my body will take it that long with already having knee and back problems.

I have thought about Landscape architecture, IT, Forensic science, Criminal justice, Mechanical Engineering or just business management as these are some things that interest me.

What does everyone here do? Any suggestions or ideas on figuring out what is right for me?

I dont need to be a filthy rich person (although it would be nice) just want to provide a good life for my wife and kids. I would like to make around 65-70K so my wife doesnt have to work.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I could help if you provide a bit more info.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Like what?

The majors you've listed are so different from each other. I figured if you listed more things you like to do, we could eliminate some of them.

"The majors you've listed are so different from each other."

So you see my problem?

Well I love to tinker on about anything. Like to work with my hands and love a good challange. I like to work outside of the office weather in a shop or outside.

I have done a worked in/around a lot of the fields I listed and know I like them all just not sure which one to settle on. Very logical and mechanically minded.

Mostly looking for what others are doing and info on different fields, in another forum I had a guy tell me a lot about Non-destructive testing which I didnt know much about. So stuff like that is helpful.

Your general age? Any previous schooling/degrees?

Looking at more of learning a trade/vocational type degree or going for a bachelors/masters?

How much time and money are you willing to devote to a degree? 1 yr, 4 yrs...?

My random thoughts.....

Out of those you listed it sounds more like some sort of engineering field would be something to look into. Not sure of job market but engineering has usually been one of the fields where a bachelors degree (4 yr) was actually practical and go land you a job after you finished.

Have family and friends in various IT fields and I'm not really sure any of them are really happy. In the past few years it seems like they've each changed jobs once or twice.

Forensic science was always interesting to me. I tend to be more on the logical side as well and enjoy problem solving and tend to get bored easily.

Business: Never really appealed to me, I guess in general it's knowledge that's good to have but I think now if you go that route you really should be thinking about masters/MBA level.

Construction/Contractor? With the economy the way it is right now construction probably isn't the best thing to get into at the moment but it's gotta come around at some point. Did a fair amount of low voltage type work in new construction throughout school.

Can't help with too many more specifics, was just brainstorming for ya. My bachelor degree is in pysch.... really not useful for anything specific but just all around good knowledge to have. Currently in med school but I'm not sure I'd recommend that to anyone unless you're looking for a reason to go in debt at least $150,000 and give up at least 7 years of your life.

Something that you might consider is a program in power plant operation. One that I know of is taught in Susanville, CA., at Lassen Junior College. I believe there are others elsewhere too. The one at Lassen is a two year program in alternative energy, covering solar power, wind, geothermal, and biomass energy, but it applies to any type of powerplant. These days the alternative energy part might have a very good future. I took it 25 years ago and was hired right out of school. Been operating power plants ever since.
    Pay and benefits are very good, at least as good as the range you mentioned, probably better once you've been doing it a few years, and job security is about as good as it gets.

The course covers a wide range of skills and knowledge, including chemistry, physics, electricity, electronics, computers and more. An aptitude for understanding how mechanical systems such as pumps and motors work is required.

An operator's day might include repairing a conveyor, replacing a pressure guage, taking readings from equipment, driving a fork lift, or sitting in an air conditioned control room, drinking coffee and monitoring the plant by computer.

In most plants, it will require shift work, since most powerplants operate 24/7. Some, maybe most, people either won't or can't do rotating shifts, but if you can handle it, there are some advantages.
    I work a 28 day rotation. 3 day shifts, 3 days off, 7 night shifts, 4 days off, 4 day shifts, 7 days off. Sometimes it sucks working 7 nights in a row, but the payback is a full week off every fourth week. You will work some holidays, but that's triple time!
    I know it's not for everybody, but it suits me.
    Last edited by deadhawg; December 16th, 2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: more info
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Ok I'm 24 in about 3 weeks. I have gone to a tech school and got a degree in auto collision/refinishing with business management but once in the field I found out very rapidly that I would rather do the mechanical side of things than the refinishing stuff, so I got on at a polaris dealership building custom sleds and loved it but pay wasn't very good. Went to ATK as a lab technician doing lots of aerospace and defense stuff, hoping for a career but an unethical supervisor caused lots of problems.

As far as type of schooling I have tried the tech route and thought it was way more money than it was worth so I'm thinking B.S. or masters. USU has a deal with computer science where a guy can get his B.S. and masters in 5 years by streamlining things a little.

Money and time arent really any deciding factors where I was wrongfully terminated its probably going to be paid for and I have lots of time.

Like said above I also get bored VERY easily and if not challanged loose interest. Shift work isnt really for me, tried it and the wife and I didnt really like eachother during it.

Also I just bought a house and had a baby (it was a great time to loose my job) so moving to go to school is a non-option. I live in Northern Utah and USU is probably going to be my choice unless I go in to Forensics then its Weber State.

Thanks in advance all.

Well, to be honest there really aren't too many careers that are safe in an economy like we have now. I got my B.A. in Political Science back in 1999 and have worked for two different banks since then. Go figure. I've been "displaced" as well so I feel your pain as jobs are very scarce. If I had a child that was getting ready to graduate from high school I would tell them to get into the health care field or computer programming (IT) or something along those lines. From the job searching I've done there seems to be no shortage of positions in those fields. Probably not at all what you're looking for but just my petty thoughts. Good luck to you and keep your head up!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I have an engineering degress (BS Mech Engineering).

It is true that you can definitely find a good job with it that pays well (in your stated range).

However, to get there, it will be 4-5 years of hard work, late nights, and sacrifice, going to school full time. You ~could~ do it, but realize that your family will have to sacrifice during that time, both in terms of your available cash and time.

Unfortunately/fortunately for me, when I was in Undergrad my friends (non-engineering majors) had a great time. However, the day after graduation, I already had an engineering job and they were job searching. Those all-nighters in engineering labs, etc. paid off.

Being married with children during this time can be a blessing and a challenge--you have a wife who can help you manage "life", you have a child to give you those shots of purpose and focus, ...but you will also be torn.

Of the careers you listed, I think --in the long run-- engineering is the safest and most dependable. But it requires the most from you and your wife in the short run.

Best of luck.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

VIP Member
    If I had it to do over again, I would go into the medical field. My oldest son is a Radiology Tech. 2 year degree and started off knocking down about $50,000. a year. Medical field will let you go anyplace in the country and get a job, and people will always be getting sick. Just a thought.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It is impossible to know where or what the jobs of the future will be. I've seen petroleum engineers suffer through a down turn and be in high demand during a boom. Liberal arts majors sometimes land good job, but more often end up selling shoes.

Accounting is practical and lucrative if you study hard and pass the CPA exam; otherwise, you will have a low end job.

I do think that by and large the undergrad degrees in engineering give you much better job opportunities than those in science. I also think those associate degrees in medical areas, e.g., radiology, can get you steady employment but with very limited upside potential. Same for nursing degrees; good job opportunities but limited upward mobility although some nursing sub specialties pay reasonably well and will remain in demand.

You have to decide what kind of stuff you like and want to do, and then get the right education or training for that type of career.

Considering what you like to do, engineering seems to fit you best. The thing about this major is that it's several types of engineering you can study, and all of them will require a lot of work. My buddy is a mechanical engineer and he makes $75000 a year.

When I'm not active duty, I'm heavily involved in marketing, especially market research. I work with teams on a daily basis, and I'm not in an office setting everyday. It's a fun job for me.

One of the biggest areas for growth and job security is in the medical field. Ther is a shortage in most areas. If you like thengs mechanical, there are a number of specialized areas for maintenance and the like. A different area for mechanics is in the body; kinesiology, physical and occupational therapy.

Th main reason for the big need is some of us old farts (baby-boomers) needing care as our bodies wear down and out. Depending on location and field of practice, money can be pretty good. Some of the programs only require a 2-yr degree. My wife started nursing school at the age of 50 and got her RN Certificate 2 yrs. later, just in time for my heart attack and by-pass surgery. Guess God knew I was going to need the help.

I would get a Bio-Chemistry degree. There will be no end to medical field needs no matter what the economy does. Good pay for a 4 year degree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links