So, How bout a little global warming?

This is a discussion on So, How bout a little global warming? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw a bumper sticker a while back...it said, "Alaskans for Global Warming" The Earth has gone through ice ages and warming periods for millions ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, How bout a little global warming?

I saw a bumper sticker a while back...it said, "Alaskans for Global Warming"

The Earth has gone through ice ages and warming periods for millions of years...to think that the blip in time that we have been on the planet is significantly changing global climate is ridiculous.

The Mt. St Helen's volcanic eruption emitted more 'greenhouse' gases than man has in the history of the industrial age.

If people really want to worry about global climate change, just imagine what happens when the Yellowstone Super-Volcano erupts(which as it happens is 40,000 years overdue).
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Go outside and yell: "I hate you Al Gore"
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Remember back in the 70's the big news was global cooling. Conversations were the same back then for cooling.
    If the weatherman can't make a correct prediction for next week, then how can he make it for the next decade or century. JMHO
    I think a proposed solution to the global cooling of the 70s was to cover the polar ice caps with black soot so they would absorb more energy from the sun. Oh I forgot, Al Gore says the debate on global warming is OVER.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Yeah, 15F, when I got out to go to work, this morning. That is very rare, here in Western Washington.

There are way too many possible variables for anyones "scientific" model to account for, in order to make accurate predictions. Anyone that says they can accurately predict, more than a day or two out, is absolutely full of it. You'd be better off relying on Punxsutawney Phil, or better yet, using him to try out a new varmint load :)

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    I will it’s a scam, my guess is to get global control of energy, we simple people will just waist our resources if we don’t have some sort of government controls.

Last year the planet was coldest in 50 years, record snow fall in many locations. You can’t have it both ways if there is a cause then there will be an effect.
    Anyone who thinks that episodes of extremely wintery weather proves that there is no global warming had better not believe there is an economic crisis either because I am making more money than I ever have before. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this is the best economy we've ever had in my 33 years.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

A political movement based on weather is very dangerous.

If the weather changes, then do what we say or be forced, and fined to comply.

That is faith a based political system, and should fall under the separation of church and state.

I propose a new term for this phenomenon that we are seeing. It incorporates the heating and cooling of the World and I will be penning it "The Global Environmental Cycle" or simply called "Global Cycling" as everything is cyclical, and it can even apply to our economy.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

All I know is that I've been to the Caribbean 11 times in the past 9 years and all the old docks and wharves that I've seen have the same tide marks on them as they did for the last 500 years.

Sure Venice is underwater a lot of the time but it's sinking not a tidal problem.

Just an observation.
    bosco

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Anyone who thinks that episodes of extremely wintery weather proves that there is no global warming had better not believe there is an economic crisis either because I am making more money than I ever have before. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this is the best economy we've ever had in my 33 years.
    This is a fascinating comment. It is correct that weather and climate are two different things. We all know that weather cannot be predicted reliably a week from now, not even tomorrow. Climate, on the other hand, concerns itself with long term trends over wide areas. And that, too cannot be predicted.

First, our highly accurate, calibrated equipment is of no use in determining past activity. The 'professionals' claim that we have increased temperature this century by what, one degree? They couldn't even measure temperature to that accuracy one hundred years ago.

The fact is we go through ice ages and warming periods of which man has no impact. Yes, in a closed environment with controlled variables it can be shown that increased levels of CO2 increase temperature. The flaw is extrapolating that to the global, open environment.

Climate change political agenda is a hoax. There is Nothing we can do about it.

As to the connection between the global warming hoax and the economy is on point. Virtually everyone who has not lost his job has more money than even six months ago. And even unemployment has increased by only two people of every hundred. The 'recession' is media driven. They keep saying bad economy so people take actions they deem appropriate. One of which is the voting on 'consumer confidence', perhaps the stupidist measure of anything.

If the media would not have promoted this 'economic crisis' virtually no one would be aware of its phantom existence.

Frightened

By the way, I heard that they are now putting blankets on glaciers to prevent their melting.

SD,

I don't really know where to start. I guess from the top:

-Yes, we could measure temps very accurately at least as early as 1800.

-Put a giant bowl of ice-water on the kitchen table. Take the temperature. Wait until the ice is 75% melted. Take the temp again, it will be the same as the first time in spite of the fact that the bowl of ice has absorbed a great amount of heat. Yes, I am saying that there is much, much more heat energy in the bowl of ice, despite the fact that the temp has not changed one degree. Take that and apply it how you will, but reading a simple temperature does not indicate the enthalpy (heat energy) in something if a change of phase is involved. (which it is globally, in the form of melting glaciers and permafrost).

-While the media does tend to exacerbate problems, try walking down any street in MI and shout that the financial crisis is a big hoax, and count the seconds until you get a beating.

My point was not that there is no crisis, but rather that isolated cases of anything don't prove anything. I make 40% more than last year, but there has been 5 foreclosures on my block this past year and people are fighting eachother for min wage jobs around here.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    -Yes, we could measure temps very accurately at least as early as 1800.
    Even if that was true, two hundred years is a tiny sample and any changes mean absolutely nothing. More to the point is that ice ages/warming periods are periodic with a frequency on the order of ten thousand years. We are ~3000-4000 years 'overdue' for an ice age. Global warming is a complete hoax. And those who think man has something to do with it?

-Put a giant bowl of ice-water on the kitchen table. Take the temperature. Wait until the ice is 75% melted. Take the temp again, it will be the same as the first time in spite of the fact that the bowl of ice has absorbed a great amount of heat...
    But there will be less ice. What's your point?

(which it is globally, in the form of melting glaciers and permafrost).
    Unfortunately for the argument of the global warming crowd is the fact that glaciers worldwide are actually expanding! The Gorebots simply pick and choose a few particular locales ignoring evidence that refutes their flawed hypothesis. Worse, they rely on inaccurate computer models that are simply unable to predict anything accurately.

-While the media does tend to exacerbate problems, try walking down any street in MI and shout that the financial crisis is a big hoax, and count the seconds until you get a beating.
    I think my XD9 would even up their potentially deadly assault. I have no sympathy for a bunch of overpaid factory workers, who make more than virtually every other working American. The unions have almost single handedly ruined the car companies (government regulations have not helped.) The media driven recession is a self fulfilling prophecy. How long did the whiney media scream about a recession when the economy was the strongest in twenty years?

My point was not that there is no crisis, but rather that isolated cases of anything don't prove anything. I make 40% more than last year, but there has been 5 foreclosures on my block this past year and people are fighting eachother for min wage jobs around here.
    There is no right to own a home. If you are unable to fulfill your contractual responsibilities yhen you should forfeit your home. No one is guaranteed a job in the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

The Mt. St Helen's volcanic eruption emitted more 'greenhouse' gases than man has in the history of the industrial age.

If people really want to worry about global climate change, just imagine what happens when the Yellowstone Super-Volcano erupts(which as it happens is 40,000 years overdue).
    Speaking of Volcanoes in the northwest... we're also overdue for Mt. Rainier to join Mt. St. Helens. There's plenty of opportunity for mother nature to "accelerate" whatever it is that's accelerating.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links